• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Staff of The Promised Neverland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junovm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of a pointless interview, as people right now really only care about the changes that happened in S2. Really a missed opportunity to not ask those questions.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Junovm wrote:
This is kind of a pointless interview, as people right now really only care about the changes that happened in S2. Really a missed opportunity to not ask those questions.

Not pointless at all if you're interested in the creative process behind the anime. With S2 still in progress, there's not much to ask without edging over into spoiler territory... and ANN isn't going to do that.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well props for asking the questions about Sister Krone, even if things were danced around.

Kind of wished you guys did the interview more recently because now everybody has a ton of questions about Season 2.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
The dodging of Sister Krone aside, while this interview was a little too short to jump to any major conclusions, it sure doesn't alleviate my feeling that Kanbe was the wrong guy to direct the anime. Cutting out internal monologues and narration to maintain suspense seems like an okay idea on paper, but it came at the expense of important character stuff and diminishing the overall themes of the story (i.e criticisms of Japan's education system, the evils of capitalism and systems based purely on pragmatism), which I felt like he and the rest of the staff never really tried to compensate for in other ways. I hope Kaiu Shirai's involvement with the second season is more direct than him just overseeing stuff and giving his approval because between season 1 and the way they've handled season 2 so far, I don't think Kanbe ever really got what TPN was ultimately trying to say beyond being a thriller.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Well props for asking the questions about Sister Krone, even if things were danced around.

Well, it was a very leading question. They obviously weren't going to take the bait willingly.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:

Well, it was a very leading question. They obviously weren't going to take the bait willingly.

They may not have even realized the ridiculous point that the interviewers were trying to allude to. Krone has an interesting character arc and is a well-developed character whose tragic experiences (with some moments of levity) are a stand-in for all the other human (women) such as Isabella/Mama in that world who faced similar choices. Her character design and reactions are perfectly fine (and her dress in line with other characters like Mama); it's not an outlandish racist caricature like you'd see in the Censored Eleven or blackface gags in older cartoons. They're not going to see it as anything more of a caricature than always drawing Americans with blond hair and Russians with silver hair. The same sort of wild takes and animation would be used for any character.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:

They dealt with it in the absolute best way. If you disagree with the unspoken premise, then make your own case. There's no need or point to respond to people who are too ashamed of their views to state them openly.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Sister krone was initially controversial but people ended up liking her a lot. The question in the interview was very leading, but I believe they did okay. Krone is one of the better characters in the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1