• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream The Slime Diaries, 'Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro,' Those Snow White

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveliver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
From what I can predict for future announcements for new simulcasts for both Funimation and Crunchyroll... yeah, Crunchyroll is finally stepping up their game.
Also, probably irrelevant but safe to say, Sentai is no longer interested in the simulcasting scene for new IPs for the most part (Redo of Healer was last season, but that was Kadokawa wanting to license that out to SOMEBODY).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if with the new deal Funimation will end up getting the dub license for some of these (especially since Crunchyroll usually only dubs four shows a season). I know they've been promoting Nagatoro a lot.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
If anything, the Crunchyroll buyout won't proably happen this year since the anti-trust probe might be extended by 6 months or more so any hopes of those un-dubbed CR shows should probably be put in check.

Source:
https://twitter.com/joshua_sisco/status/1374762520007774209
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/mcag14/sonys_hopes_of_countering_netflix_in_anime_market/
paulchaested

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if with the new deal Funimation will end up getting the dub license for some of these (especially since Crunchyroll usually only dubs four shows a season). I know they've been promoting Nagatoro a lot.

For the time being assume it’s fully exclusive to CR with CR dubbing it themselves. Funi promoted Eden Zero a lot and that ended up in Netflix Jail.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
From what I can predict for future announcements for new simulcasts for both Funimation and Crunchyroll... yeah, Crunchyroll is finally stepping up their game.
Also, probably irrelevant but safe to say, Sentai is no longer interested in the simulcasting scene for new IPs for the most part (Redo of Healer was last season, but that was Kadokawa wanting to license that out to SOMEBODY).

More like, they can't afford to buy any simulcasts, and home video rights for Netflix shows are probably cheap so they're just focusing on that.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
If anything, the Crunchyroll buyout won't proably happen this year since the anti-trust probe might be extended by 6 months or more so any hopes of those un-dubbed CR shows should probably be put in check.

Source:
https://twitter.com/joshua_sisco/status/1374762520007774209
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/mcag14/sonys_hopes_of_countering_netflix_in_anime_market/

So it won't happened after all? But DoJ is OK on Disney, Facebook, Microsoft, Google etc. This is double standarts.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm SO glad Snow White Notes is on CR! I'm really looking forward to it, and I was worried when Funi didn't pick it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has a few open slots for the Spring season...if I had to hazard a guess, Dynazeon and maybe 86 if Aniplex wants to stream that across multiple platforms?
paulchaested

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Crunchyroll has a few open slots for the Spring season...if I had to hazard a guess, Dynazeon and maybe 86 if Aniplex wants to stream that across multiple platforms?

There's Iruma S2 and Thunderbolt Fantasy S3. Then there's the Yuki Yuna chibi short. So you can scratch 3 off of their 8 remaining boxes. The remaining five are anyone's guess.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
No more episodes of Ex-Arm? How disappointing!

ErikaD.D wrote:
So it won't happened after all? But DoJ is OK on Disney, Facebook, Microsoft, Google etc. This is double standarts.

The antitrust division is just reviewing the merger to determine if Antritrust rules should apply; it does not mean that they will ultimately oppose the deal. And even if they determine that Funimation would have a near monopoly on anime streaming, they may also determine that anime is such a niche, specialty market that letting it have a near-monopoly might actually be the better option. Stranger things have happened.

At the moment, CR & Funi have 5 competitors in terms of offering unique anime content in North America: Netflix, Amazon Prime, HiDive, Retro Crush, and now Tubi. That may actually be enough to offset the antitrust aspects of the deal.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot to mention Kokimo. Looks like Crunchyroll has all the main romance anime of this season.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope they'll pick up Super Cub as well, but I'm mostly satisfied with this lineup, some titles I did not expect for sure. I thought Kadokawa had an exclusive deal with Funi nowadays, I guess that's not true anymore?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1