• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wonder Egg Priority Anime Gets Special Edition Broadcast to Conclude Story on June 29

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that's a relief. I've read how insane this production schedule was and on top of it nobody was sure if they were going to have to try and wrap it up in this week's episode or not (which you know, considering animation lead time -- it's not like they literally create the episodes on a week by week basis). I hope the best for the staff because I've adored this show but I really, really hope they never have to go through how rough the production was ever again.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Can I assume the special episode would be an extra-length episode as well? Since I can't imagine how would they wrap up all the loose threads within 23 minutes normal length, consider how the latest episode is actually setting up more conflicts instead of concluding them
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Can I assume the special episode would be an extra-length episode as well? Since I can't imagine how would they wrap up all the loose threads within 23 minutes normal length, consider how the latest episode is actually setting up more conflicts instead of concluding them

Highly unlikely. Although this is being labelled a "special episode", this is basically just the episode 12 they intended to make before production fell apart and they had to make the recap to give the team a time buffer.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Is it safe to assume that Funimation will be able to broadcast the "real" final episode?
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Highly unlikely. Although this is being labelled a "special episode", this is basically just the episode 12 they intended to make before production fell apart and they had to make the recap to give the team a time buffer.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be somewhat longer than a normal episode. Scriptwriter Nojima blabbermouthed that 12 episodes weren't enough to conclude the story in the BD booklet.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
And there was much rejoicing! Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Scriptwriter Nojima blabbermouthed that 12 episodes weren't enough to conclude the story in the BD booklet.

I'm pretty sure the blu-rays aren't even out yet.

Anyway, glad to know WEP is actually being allowed to get a conclusion, if at all. I'm sure people would have been absolutely PISSED if the anime just straight up ended before it resolved all of its conflicts.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Outstanding, I so loved this anime and all the different issues it addressed. One of my favorite anime in a long time. I am so looking forward to whatever the special broadcast edition may be. I want to thank all the people who brought such a wonderful anime to all of us and for all the great reviews
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I'm pretty sure the blu-rays aren't even out yet.

They're out. And sold miserably, unfortunately.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:08 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be somewhat longer than a normal episode. Scriptwriter Nojima blabbermouthed that 12 episodes weren't enough to conclude the story in the BD booklet.

That sounds to me more like Nojima hoping they can produce some supplementary materials to help flesh some parts of the story out a bit more. Rather than adding on to the already fraught schedule by making the final episode longer. But we'll see
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I heard they outsourced some of the animation towards western fans in the "sakuga community"? That's pretty weird but I guess if their production is so screwed up they had to rely on fan animators to help out then that would explain a lot of things in the last couple of episodes.

I enjoyed the show starting out but somewhere around episode 8 it started going off the rails. Still enjoyable but an odd direction. Not sure how well one extra episode will wrap up everything, but given the lukewarm reception in Japan a sequel is up in the air so it may be all we get.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed when the recap counted as a regular episode instead of getting labeled "episode 7.5", which made me afraid that they'd cram their original plans for episodes 8-12 into four episodes. I'm glad that they're sticking with their original plan and simply added an extra, final episode to make up for the recap instead.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: It looks like the episode will premiere at 7pm ET 3/30/21 because it arrived late to Funimation. I'll keep this post for today and delete it tomorrow in case anyone has the same question. ^_~

Quote:
Wonder Egg Priority Special Edition will be a continuation of the anime's 12th and final episode, which aired on Tuesday.

As of Tuesday, March 30, 2021, Funimation has 11 episodes listed with no 12th episode on their schedule. I was reading the above quote as the 12th episode aired today (Tuesday, March 30) and the "final" episode will air in June. If that's the case, shouldn't there be a 12th episode listed on Funimation? Or am I reading it wrong and the 12th episode is in June and no new episode came out this week? Thanks!

(I'm a paid subscriber to Funimation.)
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
EDIT: It looks like the episode will premiere at 7pm ET 3/30/21 because it arrived late to Funimation. I'll keep this post for today and delete it tomorrow in case anyone has the same question. ^_~

Quote:
Wonder Egg Priority Special Edition will be a continuation of the anime's 12th and final episode, which aired on Tuesday.

As of Tuesday, March 30, 2021, Funimation has 11 episodes listed with no 12th episode on their schedule. I was reading the above quote as the 12th episode aired today (Tuesday, March 30) and the "final" episode will air in June. If that's the case, shouldn't there be a 12th episode listed on Funimation? Or am I reading it wrong and the 12th episode is in June and no new episode came out this week? Thanks!

(I'm a paid subscriber to Funimation.)
It's a little complicated, but basically, the WEP team had to stick a recap episode in after episode 7 to give themselves some breathing room, and that recap episode was listed as episode 8. So every episode after that just got bumped up one slot. The episode airing tonight would have been episode 11 without the recap, but is now episode 12. And the final episode airing in June would've been episode 12, but it's now episode 13. Hope that helps!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
@The Anime Binge-Watcher

Thank you! It does help! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3