Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream 86, Backflip!!, Cestvs, More


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 727
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Surprised they got 86. Surprised funimation didn't get it. I can't help but wonder if some of this is because sony had previously anticipated having finished up the acquisition process of crunchyroll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tfwnoymir



Joined: 03 Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Perhaps Franxx was the last time an Aniplex show had a Worldwide (minus Asia) license, since then everything was strictly region-locked or went to Funi. This was lower on my list because I expected it to end up on Funimation but now I'll probably follow it weekly.

Also isn't Cestvs an +Ultra show? I guess their agreement with Netflix has run out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Wow. Surprised they got 86. Surprised funimation didn't get it. I can't help but wonder if some of this is because sony had previously anticipated having finished up the acquisition process of crunchyroll.


86 is a curious one but I think this will be in the same vein as Misfit of Demon School where CR had exclusivity to that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 585
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Wow. Surprised they got 86. Surprised funimation didn't get it. I can't help but wonder if some of this is because sony had previously anticipated having finished up the acquisition process of crunchyroll.


Or you know, CR paid a lot for that show. If it was about Sony about to own CR, then it makes sense if the other Aniplex shows (Pretty Detective Club, Shadows House, Vivy) won't also stream on CR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 548
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Perhaps Franxx was the last time an Aniplex show had a Worldwide (minus Asia) license, since then everything was strictly region-locked or went to Funi. This was lower on my list because I expected it to end up on Funimation but now I'll probably follow it weekly.

Also isn't Cestvs an +Ultra show? I guess their agreement with Netflix has run out.


Yeah, but they could still broadcast their shows to theirs, maybe not as frequent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 727
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Wow. Surprised they got 86. Surprised funimation didn't get it. I can't help but wonder if some of this is because sony had previously anticipated having finished up the acquisition process of crunchyroll.


Or you know, CR paid a lot for that show.


And oh you know maybe sony/funimation didn't feel like competing since they would probably get it anyways through the attempted company buyout ol. Thats all I'm saying. Who the hell actually knows. Still sucks but hopefully they dub it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 1162
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Nice to have that question finally solved of where 86 is going to be streaming. Reminds me of Misfit.

Crunchyroll seem to have really stepped up their game this season. I'm not sure if that's because of the acquisition being in process or if something is going on with Funimation and them. Or maybe they just got first dibs on a lot of stuff this season.
Lord Vaultman wrote:
And oh you know maybe sony/funimation didn't feel like competing since they would probably get it anyways through the attempted company buyout ol. Thats all I'm saying. Who the hell actually knows. Still sucks but hopefully they dub it.

I'm assuming this will probably be like Misfit of Demon King Academy where Crunchyroll gets exclusive streaming and it eventually gets a later (likely LA) dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Cool! Nice to have that question finally solved of where 86 is going to be streaming. Reminds me of Misfit.

Crunchyroll seem to have really stepped up their game this season. I'm not sure if that's because of the acquisition being in process or if something is going on with Funimation and them. Or maybe they just got first dibs on a lot of stuff this season.
Lord Vaultman wrote:
And oh you know maybe sony/funimation didn't feel like competing since they would probably get it anyways through the attempted company buyout ol. Thats all I'm saying. Who the hell actually knows. Still sucks but hopefully they dub it.

I'm assuming this will probably be like Misfit of Demon King Academy where Crunchyroll gets exclusive streaming and it eventually gets a later (likely LA) dub.


Keep in mind CR and Funi are still doing business independently and still competing as if the buyout never existed. Here's what I honestly think:

Funimation's aggresive licensing is slowing down this season for few reasons:
1. Sony is not heavily funding Funimation as much because Funi did not meet Sony's goals and expectations: Outsub or reach the same amount of subs as CR
2. Hulu's and Funimation's partnership is seemingly ending or slowing down: as of now MHA and Megalobox 2 are the only titles shared and a handful of Funi titles are "exclusive" to them
3. Despite overwhelming disadvantages CR has had: AT&T siphoning CR's revenues to reduce their debt, the numerous multimillion dollar partnership Funimation has had, Funi's combined might of Aniplex, Wakanim and Animelab, CR still managed to gain an impressive whopping 2 million subs totalling 4 million and possibly reaching 5 million. Honestly I don't think Funimation/Wakanim/Animelab combined haven't even reach 2 million. (THIS IS WHY SONY WILL NOT SHUTDOWN OR FOLD CR ONCE THEY ACQUIRE CR)
4. This one is kind of stretching it but maybe Sony is seeing how much of a worldwide well established and successful brand CR is and they're probably reserving capital so that when Sony officially acquires CR they'll fully invest into CR.

CR keeps touting all these subscriber milestones while Funi has been hush hush about it which leads me to believe CR still outsubs Funi. I really am curious to know what Funi/Wakanim/Animelab's sub count is.

These are all speculations so I could be wrong but I think this is what's happening right now.


Last edited by paulchaested on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 956
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
I don't think this is at all on the same situation as Misfit of Demon Academy. The latter show is a full-fledged Aniplex of America show with an AoA-owned website (https://demonkingacademy-anime.com/), shows up on their list (https://aniplexusa.com/shows/), and is the usual AoA English-only country regions (plus the CR pages attributes them as the publisher).

I think this is on the same situation as Darling in the Franxx, where CR literally outbid Aniplex of America and so got worldwide minus Asia rights. 86 is nowhere to be found on AoA's website or their twitter. Which is good as it has a decent chance of being dubbed, is available worldwide minus Asia, and may eventually be put on affordable home video by Viz (or Funi if the buyout happens within the next 12 months).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I don't think this is at all on the same situation as Misfit of Demon Academy. The latter show is a full-fledged Aniplex of America show with an AoA-owned website (https://demonkingacademy-anime.com/), shows up on their list (https://aniplexusa.com/shows/), and is the usual AoA English-only country regions (plus the CR pages attributes them as the publisher).

I think this is on the same situation as Darling in the Franxx, where CR literally outbid Aniplex of America and so got worldwide minus Asia rights. 86 is nowhere to be found on AoA's website or their twitter. Which is good as it has a decent chance of being dubbed, is available worldwide minus Asia, and may eventually be put on affordable home video by Viz (or Funi if the buyout happens within the next 12 months).


Hmm... CR's official trailer of 86 has Aniplex's logo shows up on the first 3 seconds of it. Are you saying AoA still has to compete with other distributors to acquire shows published by their own native company Aniplex Japan?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ErikaD.D



Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 518
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 am Reply with quote
So CR got 86 -- the Aniplex anime but not Megalobox:Nomad and SSSS Dynazenon, which CR has Megalobox season 1 and SSSS Gridman. How weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ab2143



Joined: 09 Jan 2021
Posts: 137
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:20 am Reply with quote
I wanted them to pick up that space short-form anime. Oh well, looking forward to more Iruma-kun
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 585
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
I don't think this is at all on the same situation as Misfit of Demon Academy. The latter show is a full-fledged Aniplex of America show with an AoA-owned website (https://demonkingacademy-anime.com/), shows up on their list (https://aniplexusa.com/shows/), and is the usual AoA English-only country regions (plus the CR pages attributes them as the publisher).

I think this is on the same situation as Darling in the Franxx, where CR literally outbid Aniplex of America and so got worldwide minus Asia rights. 86 is nowhere to be found on AoA's website or their twitter. Which is good as it has a decent chance of being dubbed, is available worldwide minus Asia, and may eventually be put on affordable home video by Viz (or Funi if the buyout happens within the next 12 months).


Hmm... CR's official trailer of 86 has Aniplex's logo shows up on the first 3 seconds of it. Are you saying AoA still has to compete with other distributors to acquire shows published by their own native company Aniplex Japan?


Yes. In the same way that not all shows produced by Warner Bros. Japan goes to Crunchyroll (i.e.: Danmachi S3 goes to Sentai; Record of Ragnarok, Sirius and Dragon Pilot went to Netflix).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tfwnoymir



Joined: 03 Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Location: Hungary
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
A surprise to be sure but a welcome one. Perhaps Franxx was the last time an Aniplex show had a Worldwide (minus Asia) license, since then everything was strictly region-locked or went to Funi. This was lower on my list because I expected it to end up on Funimation but now I'll probably follow it weekly.

Also isn't Cestvs an +Ultra show? I guess their agreement with Netflix has run out.


Yeah, but they could still broadcast their shows to theirs, maybe not as frequent.


Are you talking about 86 or Cestvs? If the former, Funimation could still stream the dub as it happened with previous Aniplex titles. If the latter, Honestly I have no idea, maybe for the regions Crunchyroll is not streaming in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Yes. In the same way that not all shows produced by Warner Bros. Japan goes to Crunchyroll (i.e.: Danmachi S3 goes to Sentai; Record of Ragnarok, Sirius and Dragon Pilot went to Netflix).


True... however I feel like those shows were special cases:
1. Danmachi was licensed by Sentai before Warner Media fully bought out CR
2. Record of Ragnarok - Netflix probably offered Warner Japan a ridiculous amount of money that they couldn't say no to (more money than CR's profits would generate)
3. Sirius - same with Record of Ragnarok
4. Dragon Pilot was licensed by Netflix before Warner Media fully bought out CR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group