• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild CG Film in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Did they really need to give the Palico actual lines? The usual meows & purrrss from the games would've been good enough. Other than that, it looks pretty good & seems much more promising than the Monster Hunter live-action film.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Will this be the true Monster Hunter movie?

Oh hey, Dante Basco and Erica Lindbeck!
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
attitudey palico is not great but I guess it makes sense.
It looks pretty good though! the monsters look cool and its fun seeing recognisable armor
chao8971

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
I think it's a neat move making the Ace Hunters have their own movie. I remember seeing them around, so it's nice to see some background characters getting more fleshed out. I don't know if I'm feeling the vibe of this movie from the trailer, but I'm happy Capcom is trying all sorts of new things with the MH IP.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Did they really need to give the Palico actual lines? The usual meows & purrrss from the games would've been good enough.

Given that Palicos in the games can speak to humans?
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sekaro wrote:
Did they really need to give the Palico actual lines? The usual meows & purrrss from the games would've been good enough.

Given that Palicos in the games can speak to humans?

They can still have them interact with the human characters without having them actually talk. I do believe you've missed the point entirely... As of now, that one scene reminds me too much of that one Tom & Jerry movie I wish I didn't need to bring up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:33 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:

They can still have them interact with the human characters without having them actually talk. I do believe you've missed the point entirely... As of now, that one scene reminds me too much of that one Tom & Jerry movie I wish I didn't need to bring up.

No I got the point the problem is you haven't explained why having the Palicos talk in this film which they also do in the games is a problem for you.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:58 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

No I got the point the problem is you haven't explained why having the Palicos talk in this film which they also do in the games is a problem for you.

Sigh... I suppose I'll have to elaborate since my example didn't ring any bells for u. I simply dislike the decision of having them talk & also giving them such an obnoxious voice to boot. In the main line games, yes they do have written lines but they don't actually say them out loud. Even during cutscenes, they never uttered a word, simply meows & purrss at best. Now if they were taking cues from their spin-off game then... that's a different story all together. However, the movie is clearly set in the same universe as the main line games specifically MH4.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Now that's a better reasoning. Still don't think it's worth losing one's head over.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
This seems a lot better than the live-action movie in terms of the story. I like how this fully takes place in the Monster Hunter world instead of incorporating Earth with the Monster Hunter world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1