• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Mamoru Hosoda's Belle Film in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
YES!!! I KNEW GKIDS would license Belle.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wants to say it was a foregone conclusion. All of Hosoda's original films (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time onward) have been brought over, and this one wasn't going to be the exception.

It's still good to see a confirmation. Hopefully it'll make it to a local theater.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
Part of me wants to say it was a foregone conclusion. All of Hosoda's original films (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time onward) have been brought over, and this one wasn't going to be the exception.

It's still good to see a confirmation. Hopefully it'll make it to a local theater.

I think the difference is that Belle was picked up by Gkids while all of Hosoda's previous films have been by Funi (though I don't know how much of an actual difference that makes honestly).
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I think the difference is that Belle was picked up by Gkids while all of Hosoda's previous films have been by Funi (though I don't know how much of an actual difference that makes honestly).

GKids also has Mirai and got that to get an Oscar nomination.

As for FUNi, they're still missing the old One Piece movies, one of which was a work of his after leaving Studio Ghibli.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
heavyweather wrote:

GKids tends to prioritize quality and authenticity whereas Funimation focuses more marketability and maximum profit. It’s like if Funimation is Disney then GKids would be The Criterion Collection.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ever since the trailer for Belle dropped I had a feeling that either Funimation or especially GKIDS would license Belle since the former licensed the majority of Mamoru Hosada's films and the latter licensed Mirai. Since GKIDS previously licensed Mirai 2-3 years ago I had a feeling that GKIDS is going to get it.

Looking forward to who they will cast for the English dub of the film.[/u]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Probably silly to hope for most of the cast to be anime voice actors and not Hollywood folks, bit it would be nice
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I could do without the celebrity stunt casting for the dub but we all know that's the route the NYAV Post dub will go down.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they might also dub the songs?
Flameshadowwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
It'll be hard to convince someone to watch the dub over sub considering the lineup for it, I mean Tsuda pretty much carried way of the house husband on his own
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Probably silly to hope for most of the cast to be anime voice actors and not Hollywood folks, bit it would be nice

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I could do without the celebrity stunt casting for the dub but we all know that's the route the NYAV Post dub will go down.

Of NYAV Post’s recent dubs with Hollywood talent (Mirai, Weathering With You, Earwig and the Witch), most of the major Hollywood actors tend to be in supporting roles. The lead roles tend to get filled by other LA (or NY) based actors and not always anime voice actors. For example, Vanessa Marshall (who typically does VA on western TV animation such as Star Wars Rebels) was cast as Bella Yaga in Earwig.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1