• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interest: Golgo 13 Manga Breaks Guinness World Record for Most Volumes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Saito on Golgo 13 breaking the record. This is a record One Piece won't be close to breaking since it is close the ending, according to Oda.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations Takao Saito-san! I kinda of wish we could get a "the best of" series released here in the west like they are doing with Lupin the 3rd.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Congratulations Takao Saito-san! I kinda of wish we could get a "the best of" series released here in the west like they are doing with Lupin the 3rd.

We kind of did already. Viz's 13-volume release during the 00s was a translation of a prior 13-volume "best of" release for the manga at that time. Now, sure, there's still tons of content out there for another "best of" release, but it's not like we've never gotten any Golgo 13 manga before.

Anyway, congratulations to Takao Saito & Golgo 13!
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Such a classic series and also a blast to read. I hope Viz goes back to legend one day.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I see Duke Togo is making his excited face on the cover. Laughing
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even a fan and I wish I could squee about this from the rooftops. That's one heckuva record to surpass.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:09 am Reply with quote
I'd really like to be able to read'em all, too bad no publisher or not even some unofficial translations will probably ever happen...I guess I should just learn japanese at this point...
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

We kind of did already. Viz's 13-volume release during the 00s was a translation of a prior 13-volume "best of" release for the manga at that time. Now, sure, there's still tons of content out there for another "best of" release, but it's not like we've never gotten any Golgo 13 manga before.

Anyway, congratulations to Takao Saito & Golgo 13!

I'm currently trying to get my hands on some of the volumes from this release I'm missing but I'm definitely up for another best-of release. Love the hardcovers Viz has been putting out for JoJo and now Fist of the North Star, that would be an amazing fit for this series too imo.

Congrats on the record! Hard to imagine somebody can draw that many pages for the same series without wanting to do something else.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
Donkey-er wrote:
I'm currently trying to get my hands on some of the volumes from this release I'm missing but I'm definitely up for another best-of release. Love the hardcovers Viz has been putting out for JoJo and now Fist of the North Star, that would be an amazing fit for this series too imo.

Congrats on the record! Hard to imagine somebody can draw that many pages for the same series without wanting to do something else.

At least Viz did start to offer its Golgo release digitally back in 2019, so at least it's available at a reasonable price in some form today.

As for Takao Saito, he's done a ton of manga since starting Golgo 13, though they usually only range from a single volume to a handful (like 5 or 6). Combined with the occasional breaks he & his staff take, it's why Golgo 13 took this long to break 200 volumes, despite having debuted before Kochikame did.
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
At least Viz did start to offer its Golgo release digitally back in 2019, so at least it's available at a reasonable price in some form today.

As for Takao Saito, he's done a ton of manga since starting Golgo 13, though they usually only range from a single volume to a handful (like 5 or 6). Combined with the occasional breaks he & his staff take, it's why Golgo 13 took this long to break 200 volumes, despite having debuted before Kochikame did.

Ah fair enough!
Didn't even know they released it digitally, guess I can at least buy those for the volumes I can't get a physical copy of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1