• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo to Declare 4th COVID-19 State of Emergency Until August 22 (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm at the people, pull the plug on the Olympics, people are already showing up and testing positive AFTER leaving the airport and showing up to the village.

But then that would require the IOC to actually give a damn I guess.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
I've said it before, but this may very well be what does it for the Olympics in general. The games already typically lose money, and now they won't even get that tourism money.
They are still trying to move forward with it, despite it not being what the general population seems to want, and I have to think that the powers that be decided they didn't want to spend all that money on facilities, only to end up not using them. Either way, it's going to be considered a colossal waste of resources.

They still have the next few games lined up, but it'll be pretty easy to look at this and decide it's not at all worth it.
tsog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Everyone knows it's going to be a big money loss. The only question is, how much?

Tokyo doesn't want to cancel the Olympics because if they do, they are on the hook for all of the cost.

Quote:
If Tokyo had broken the contract and cancelled, the risks and losses would fall on the Japanese side.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57240044

It's basically a game of hot potatoes and Tokyo has few ways out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1