• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Sales Boom in France After 18-Year-Olds Get Free Money to Spend on the Arts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
people might balk at this, but I never knew Jojo was significantly popular and famous outside of a loud minority and Japan
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This comes shortly after Macron met with Hiro Mashima recently. I'd heard anecdotally that Fairy Tail was particularly popular over there, and EDENS ZERO has a pretty decent French language following on line as well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
people might balk at this, but I never knew Jojo was significantly popular and famous outside of a loud minority and Japan

Simply put, France is, without a doubt, the most notable Western country in the manga industry, with tons of manga seeing release in French that are likely considered "unsellable" almost anywhere else, simply because manga is so popular over there. JoJo has been available in France long before it ever got an English release, even the original Part 3 release by Viz.

Hell, Japan Expo in Paris is the largest non-Japanese anime con, to my knowledge, consistently getting roughly a quarter-million attendees for a number of years, about double what Anime Expo had been getting pre-pandemic, and gets iconic creators & mangaka that we can only wish to get here, more often than not. If there's a manga that's considered an all-time "classic", especially from the 80s & on, it likely got a French release at some point or another.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
If some random government wishes to give me a grant to buy more anime I am accepting any and all offers.
Orion2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm Reply with quote
300 euro is not a small amount, that's pretty good, usually when a government wants to start an initiative like this, they are so out of touch that they give like 20-30 euro which is nothing, you can buy like 1-2 manga/comics but with 300 you can buy a pretty decent amount to get you into some series
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
France has always had a great love for Japanese arts. They've always appreciated manga and they even have a ton of series that America still has yet to release. Well done to the youths of France.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I wish America had something like that. I'd love to receive free money just to spend it on manga! Alas, I know that'll never come to pass.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So only 18 year olds? Nothing for 17 or 19 year olds? Kinda odd, but pretty funny more than half of the money is being spent on manga Laughing
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Hell, Japan Expo in Paris is the largest non-Japanese anime con, to my knowledge, consistently getting roughly a quarter-million attendees for a number of years, about double what Anime Expo had been getting pre-pandemic, and gets iconic creators & mangaka that we can only wish to get here, more often than not. If there's a manga that's considered an all-time "classic", especially from the 80s & on, it likely got a French release at some point or another.

Exactly. If I am not located in North America, the premier anime convention to go outside of Japan would probably be Japan Expo. The programming every year looks SO good.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, that is probably how I would use it. Or at least I would after checking several times that it worked since I would have to get over some of my disbelief that I had a not insignificant amount of money handed to me that could be used for that.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I wish America had something like that. I'd love to receive free money just to spend it on manga! Alas, I know that'll never come to pass.

I pretty much spent my COVID checks on video games and anime stuff, so that was kind of like this.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Jojo manga was already popular in France and Italy since the 90's(Part 5 is set in Italy thanks to that)
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Simply put, France is, without a doubt, the most notable Western country in the manga industry, with tons of manga seeing release in French that are likely considered "unsellable" almost anywhere else, simply because manga is so popular over there. JoJo has been available in France long before it ever got an English release, even the original Part 3 release by Viz.

I can confirm that as a french myself., i would even say, rather than likely it's sure.

As far i can remember, in my kindergarten years back then during the 90' i would already see tons of both classic and niche ( which i still don't get how they end up getting localized so early, not that i mind though ) 70'-80' mangas and VHS on all my uncles/aunts and grandfather shelves.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
So only 18 year olds? Nothing for 17 or 19 year olds? Kinda odd, but pretty funny more than half of the money is being spent on manga Laughing

Well, 17 years old will be 18 a year later and 19 years old already got their money...
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
manga is so popular over there

What exactly caused manga to become really popular over there?

Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
France has always had a great love for Japanese arts.

Why? Just curious.

Casval Rem Deikun also wrote:
They've always appreciated manga and they even have a ton of series that America still has yet to release.

What are some examples of manga they've released that have yet to be released in America?

FireChick wrote:

Never say never.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2