• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shueisha Producer Warns Against Leaks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This kind of reasoning doesn't make much sense, at least to me, fans are always hyped if their favourite manga or light novel or whatever gets an anime adaptation...even if there's a leak about it does it really cause any meaningful damage to it?? Why should it make more difficult to find investors, especially if there's much buzz on social networks?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I think what the producer is saying is that it spreads out the metric; basically they can't just reference their official announcement post for reference ("you can see audience interest is X because of the analytics on this post") and is instead spread out and may require more work. If we're only looking at Twitter, for instance, they'd have to use a search term and then narrow down from there based on relevancy. Also website traffic may be diverted to wherever the illegal scans were uploaded instead, which you might not want to show investors in the first place?

That's a lot of me speculating, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I think what the producer is saying is that it spreads out the metric; basically they can't just reference their official announcement post for reference ("you can see audience interest is X because of the analytics on this post") and is instead spread out and may require more work. If we're only looking at Twitter, for instance, they'd have to use a search term and then narrow down from there based on relevancy. Also website traffic may be diverted to wherever the illegal scans were uploaded instead, which you might not want to show investors in the first place?

Many fans (except the most die-hard ones) probably don't even follow the official accounts of a mangaka or an author, so in the end it's not a good way to tell how much interest there is in a particular anime anyway....
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

Many fans (except the most die-hard ones) probably don't even follow the official accounts of a mangaka or an author, so in the end it's not a good way to tell how much interest there is in a particular anime anyway....

It's still a metric you're loosing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess that seems a reasonable response. I hope something I'm a fan of didn't lose momentum from getting leaked.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

It's still a metric you're loosing.

Well it's not necessairly true, since people that follow for example the Shueisha/Shounen Jump account would "like" or "upvote" the official announcement anyway.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
You're ignoring half of my example though; most of what I wrote was based on an announcement on Twitter but if we're talking about website traffic that would be even more difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tomdean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
This kind of reasoning doesn't make much sense, at least to me, fans are always hyped if their favourite manga or light novel or whatever gets an anime adaptation...even if there's a leak about it does it really cause any meaningful damage to it?? Why should it make more difficult to find investors, especially if there's much buzz on social networks?

Because gathering unofficial data is costly and inaccurate. There are only a handful of companies out there who can gather social media data with good accuracy but even then, they are not official nor regulated which means most respected asset managers, banks, fund managers can't use these "buzz on social network "to persuade their clients to invest

But yeah, let's ignore what the guy who is in the business actually is telling us, shall we?
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I guess that seems a reasonable response. I hope something I'm a fan of didn't lose momentum from getting leaked.

The only case we are sure a leak lead to the cancellation of a show was in 2015: there was a Zelda live action series to be produced by Netflix, but after the leak Nintendo pulled the plug. Why did they do it? Nobody's sure about that. It's not that the leak would lose investors (Netlix still wanted to produce the series), and it didn't hurt Nintendo's reputation either, but Nintendo is know of being overprotective about its IPs .
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
People who release and share spoilers from unreleased material are garbage, yes. I'm amazed anyone disagrees with that.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

Because gathering unofficial data is costly and inaccurate. There are only a handful of companies out there who can gather social media data with good accuracy but even then, they are not official nor regulated which means most respected asset managers, banks, fund managers can't use these "buzz on social network "to persuade their clients to invest

But yeah, let's ignore what the guy who is in the business actually is telling us, shall we?

Things have changed in the last 20 years, you can't ignore all that "unofficial data" anymore. 20 years ago if fans wanted an anime had to send letters to the publishers or email, now they talk about it on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, websites like this and so on...
The "buzz" I was talking about.It existed already 20 years ago, people talked about how they wanted an anime of their favourite manga, in comic book stores or even some obscure forums online, of course nobody cared about those, but now it's totally a different story!
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The solution is, for announcements, to just make the announcements on the world wide web and ignore putting them in a legacy hard copy magazine, also, you may need to vet your workers, whoever is just openly posting all information on reddit and the like is probably someone you dont want at your organization.

Also leaks and etc can be bad because Opinions and Perspectives can be steered by the perspective of the person who shared it, which can potentially lead to initial hate in the 48hours before, say, a jump chapter release.
tomdean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:

Things have changed in the last 20 years, you can't ignore all that "unofficial data" anymore. 20 years ago if fans wanted an anime had to send letters to the publishers or email, now they talk about it on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, websites like this and so on...
The "buzz" I was talking about.It existed already 20 years ago, people talked about how they wanted an anime of their favourite manga, in comic book stores or even some obscure forums online, of course nobody cared about those, but now it's totally a different story!

...yeah, so tell me how a bank or a fund manager can tell his clients to invest because "you can't ignore all that unofficial data anymore"? that's...quite asinine.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
They just need to do a better job cracking down on the leakers. Once it becomes common knowledge that doing so will end your career, people will stop. Now tracking down who posted some text spoiler on twitter is probably going to be incredibly difficult unless the person is a repeat offender, but fake crap gets posted on the internet all the time so text only leaks from unknown sources are going to have a hard time getting treated as legitimate. Anytime I see official assets get leaked, I just shrug and think bad on the company for not protecting them.

There is also the issue of leaks coming from people breaking street dates which is a harder problem to fix until print gets phased out. They could fix it by officially releasing things online as soon as a product starts to get printed off, but that would impact other things.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
they do not deserve the attention that comes with sharing that information before the official release.

Amen to that!
I really hate leakers. I hate people whose goal is to leak this stuff and get as much attention possible for being an asshole.
Like, it's not just that leaking is illegal but that it's a super rude and shitty thing to do.

When you leak something before the official announcement, it can be hard to gauge interest in a project when it IS announced. People have already reacted (but to someone else's post), so when you announce it they just shrug like "yeah, I know."
Some companies ask for reports on the amount of interactions/response to announcements. When the reactions are dulled because of leaks, it can be hard to prove people are actually excited. If you're looking for people's responses during a certain period that starts from when you announced the thing, you won't find all the people who got excited from the leak.
Plus, presenting responses that happened after a leak shows there was an information issue in your company (or in the businesses you're meant to trust) and no one wants to showcase that. It's hard to trust a company who continuously leaks your stuff.

So yes, I agree completely with what Sueyoshi said.
There's no way to justify leaking stuff. Saying "but the likes!" does not hold water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2