• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Grand Order Final Singularity - Grand Temple of Time: Solomon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The biggest flaw of the Babylonia anime was how they made Ritsuka's character more boring than the game version (and the game version wasn't particularly amazing to start with). Did they do a better job with him in Solomon? Or maybe just focus on him less (which would also be good)?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
The biggest flaw of the Babylonia anime was how they made Ritsuka's character more boring than the game version (and the game version wasn't particularly amazing to start with). Did they do a better job with him in Solomon? Or maybe just focus on him less (which would also be good)?

What? Ritsuka in Babylonia was 100x better than ingame Ritsuka....
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:58 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:

What? Ritsuka in Babylonia was 100x better than ingame Ritsuka....

Ritsuka in the game wasn't that much of an active participant but that was fine since the purpose was self inserting and outside of helping with goddess collection they didn't have much narrative weight. There's inconsistency between chapters due to different writers, but for at least the entirety of one chapter or event they'll be written in the same manner (for example, some writers make it more obvious that they're just writing a male character regardless of what gender you picked than others)

The Ritsuka in the anime was inconsistent from episode to episode thanks to all the directors and script writers per episode seeming to have their own ideas of how they wanted him to act, with him either ranging from okay (the episode Quetz unleashed her NP as well as the comedy episode where seduced Jaguarman were examples) to actively making certain scenes from the game worse by failing to convey any charisma which as far as I'm concerned is the most important aspect of Guda as a character who can't actively participate in the plot most times.

In the end I don't think he's the worst thing ever (overall he was pretty okay in the end even though the plot convenience knife at the end just left me feeling meh) but when there are several manga adaptations that are a hundred times better at conveying a consistent and strong idea of the character "Fujimaru Ritsuka", he just ends up being a wasted opportunity to me
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Without having read other adaptations to compare, I think Ritsuka comes across as a pretty standard "hero" character in the movie. The expression work is very vivid. He displays standard reactions like getting mad at the villain, and there are attempts to make him more of an active participant in the fights this time around, but I still don't think anyone's going to say he's the most compelling character in the story. His portrayal is on par with Babylonia for me.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:48 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's that great a detriment that anime only fans missed out on the Singularities prior to Camelot. They tended to be mediocre at best. Better really to just cover the highlights of F/GO's first arc where the game finally started to step up.

Now if they adapt the Cosmos in the Lostbelt arc, that will be a very different story. But it would need a 100 episodes or more to cover everything.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I don't think it's that great a detriment that anime only fans missed out on the Singularities prior to Camelot. They tended to be mediocre at best. Better really to just cover the highlights of F/GO's first arc where the game finally started to step up.

Now if they adapt the Cosmos in the Lostbelt arc, that will be a very different story. But it would need a 100 episodes or more to cover everything.

The problem is that, quality or not, background info is still needed. You don't start a book with it's climax and then say you didn't do more because "meh, my rough draft was pretty scuffed to i just cut everything"...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Ritsuka a lot in Babylonia but I think that has a lot to do with Nobunaga Shimazaki's performance.
AspiringShoulder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
Ritsuka as a protagonist doesn't really develop until Part 2 in FGO proper. Part 1 (the stuff we have anime for) is more about Mash and her figuring out her place in a clusterfuck of nonsense and horror. If we ever get a Cosmos in the Lostbelt adaptation, I do think that'll open a lot more opportunity for the writers to flesh out his personality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1