• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ongoing Kamen Rider Kuuga Manga Offered in English Next Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
I was down for a Kuuga manga until I saw Inoue's name and...yeah, I hope he doesn't screw Kuuga up.

I'm really curious what they do with Zero-One because it sounds like they're going to do what Marvel did with Ultraman and adapt the story with American writers (Kyle Higgins needs a new comic?). Kind of wondering if they'll adapt the premise, characters, etc. and diverge at some point or if it might actually be set during the show? The one-shots will probably be about the Riders other than Zero-One.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised it's not Seven Seas getting Kuuga given they're releasing the 71 manga next month.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
The fact there have been three different manga adaptations of Kamen Rider Kuuga since its debut in the early 2000s is pretty mind-blowing for me. Can any of you guys explain the secret behind its enduring popularity?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I'm surprised it's not Seven Seas getting Kuuga given they're releasing the 71 manga next month.

I think Seven Seas' original idea of "releasing a modern-day interpretation with a classic manga" didn't pan out, since we didn't get anything newer to accompany the Gorenger or upcoming Lupin release, either.

BlueAlf wrote:
The fact there have been three different manga adaptations of Kamen Rider Kuuga since its debut in the early 2000s is pretty mind-blowing for me. Can any of you guys explain the secret behind its enduring popularity?

Kuuga is pretty much the entire reason why Kamen Rider still exists today. After Black RX ended the entire franchise pretty much went into hibernation, outside of a trio of movies in the 90s that didn't move the needle in any way, so Kuuga was responsible for bringing the franchise back to TV, and it's never left TV again since.

Plus, Jo Odagiri.
ZakuConvoy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, Kuuga has to be a lot of people's first Kamen Rider. We really can't discount how nostalgia probably factor's into it's popularity.

But, it's also very well crafted. They created a entire fictional language for their monsters, like Klingon in Star Trek...which can be seen as a blessing or a curse, depending on how you choose to view it. The main character is very likable and the side characters are useful. It's a slow burn, but a rewarding one. It can also be memorably violent in a way modern Kamen Riders shy away from, so it's also memorable in a way that 90s OVAs can be memorable for a lot of people. And it probably has one of the most memorable endings in Kamen Rider.

Mind you, it's not my favorite Kamen Rider, mostly because of that same slow burn. A lot of it's strengths can also be weaknesses for some people. But, it's hard to argue against it being a high-quality show. And there's not a lot of other Kamen Rider that have the same "Gritty" feel. Agito or Shin are probably the only ones that get close. Some seasons of Garo, maybe. But, it's fairly rare to get a toku show like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1