• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Final Fantasy Takes Another Hit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
SF Express is Amazon JP's economy option. If you select Premium, it'll still ship DHL.

DHL are slightly more expensive but probably worth it if you're at all impatient.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone interested hasn't already seen the news, Type-Moon announced a console version of Mahoutsukai no Yoru earlier today.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I only get offered the Global Priority option from Amazon Japan, so I hope they stick with DHL there. A bit pricey, but the speed and tracking make it worth it imo.

Still hoping the shipping price on the Egret II Mini gets adjusted. I can't justify paying twice what the cost is just because of shipping =/
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Japan's whole COVID response has been a complete mess. Vaccination rates have more to do with people stepping up as the government has been a fumbling do-nothing the entire time. Chip shortages also haven't helped so I get the feeling that might affect FFXVI's eventual launch.

But anyway, to close out the trashfire of a year, I'd have to say my most anticipated games are BOTW2, Splatoon 3, and Triangle Strategy.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
If you (or anyone else) is looking to move on from Amazon JP for import games, I highly recommend CDJapan. Their prices generally aren't as good, but their points system and frequent discounts often makes up for it. They also pack well, have great customer support, and offer exclusive bonus goodies for many items, including some games. I've bought most (if not all) of my import Switch games through them and have been a longtime customer for VGM and other things.

As for what I'm looking forward to, game-wise, in 2022, I just want to get through more of my backlog. Oh, and Rune Factory 5 Razz
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
SF Express is Amazon JP's economy option. If you select Premium, it'll still ship DHL.

DHL are slightly more expensive but probably worth it if you're at all impatient.

I'm usually OK with waiting, this is just a special case. What I'm more concerned about is the handling.

Like magic, as soon as I complained about not getting the package, the package finally arrived... and the outer box was beat to hell. Like, the tape holding it together was literally falling off to the point where my BF was concerned something had been stolen or lost from inside it. If the game box hadn't been held down with plastic and cardboard I'm sure it would've been destroyed... or worse.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:21 am Reply with quote
This is why polls are so inconsistent. NHK did a poll early last year for people to vote their favorite FF games, characters, and songs. Now, one would expect FF7 to be #1 game, but it wasn't. It was #2. FFX ended up at #1. Now we have this poll by TV Asahi asking to vote for your favorite games of all time. What was the most voted FF game? FF7 at #3 with 50501 votes. FFX was at #9 with 23001 votes. There is no difference between favorite FF and favorite game of all time, yet the almost 30000 voting gap between FF7 and X is telling. I never believed in that NHK poll because I knew the next big poll would have FF7 as the most favorite. Balance has been restored.

Quote:
The difference between West and East is that instead of poll results packed with Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty, you get a list full of Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

Heidi, how do you goof this by mentioning Monster Hunter over Final Fantasy? The list literally has 10 FF titles (Dragon Quest and Pocket Monsters are tied with it at 10 titles) compared to 5 MonHun titles. How is that a full list of MonHun when it's outnumbered by the 3 of the most impactful series in Japan's gaming history?

Quote:
There are also a whole lot of Nintendo games on the list, but that's not too surprising giving the Switch's current complete market dominance. (Also, the entire world loves Nintendo stuff.)

The Switch's current status in the Japanese market has no relation to the amount of Nintendo games on the list. The votes are based on the platform the games originally released on and even if people voted because they played a port on Switch, the MAJORITY of Nintendo games on the list are not ported to Switch. It's a Japanese poll. The most dominant platforms were always going to be PlayStation and Nintendo. You did not need specifically point out that there were a lot of Nintendo games in the list while excluding PlayStation. To the bold: The world is irrelevant to this Japanese exclusive voter poll. Your Nintendo fanboyism is clearly exuding in the article, Heidi. These errors and irrelevant statements make it a fact. With all due respect.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Dearth of MMOs and PC games

Doesn't bode well when Japan is opening its first e-sports high school

AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Doesn't bode well when Japan is opening its [url=/category/features/lifestyle/Japan-opening-a-video-gaming-e-sports-high-school]first e-sports high school[/url]

Japan has never been that big on either, though.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Rob19ny"]This is why polls are so inconsistent. NHK did a poll early last year for people to vote their favorite FF games, characters, and songs. Now, one would expect FF7 to be #1 game, but it wasn't. It was #2. FFX ended up at #1. Now we have this poll by TV Asahi asking to vote for your favorite games of all time. What was the most voted FF game? FF7 at #3 with 50501 votes. FFX was at #9 with 23001 votes. There is no difference between favorite FF and favorite game of all time, yet the almost 30000 voting gap between FF7 and X is telling. I never believed in that NHK poll because I knew the next big poll would have FF7 as the most favorite. Balance has been restored.

Quote:
Heidi, how do you goof this by mentioning Monster Hunter over Final Fantasy? The list literally has 10 FF titles (Dragon Quest and Pocket Monsters are tied with it at 10 titles) compared to 5 MonHun titles. How is that a full list of MonHun when it's outnumbered by the 3 of the most impactful series in Japan's gaming history?

SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW THAT I HAD TO CAREFULLY COUNT THE NUMBER OF ENTRIES IN THE LIST WHEN MAKING A GENERALIZED COMPARISON OF GAME SERIES THAT ARE POPULAR IN JAPAN, I HAVE FAILED

(But if we really want to dig deep into popularity, MonHun has been outselling FF in Japan for a good while now)

Quote:
TYour Nintendo fanboyism is clearly exuding in the article, Heidi. These errors and irrelevant statements make it a fact. With all due respect.

> Nintendo fanboy
Tell me you don't know me without actually saying it, yeesh. If I'm a fan of any console maker, it sure ain't Nintendo. I'll give you a hint: I bought the Saturn in 1996 and never owned an N64.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Doesn't bode well when Japan is opening its [url=/category/features/lifestyle/Japan-opening-a-video-gaming-e-sports-high-school]first e-sports high school[/url]

Japan has never been that big on either, though.

That's why it doesn't bode well
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
This is why polls are so inconsistent. NHK did a poll early last year for people to vote their favorite FF games, characters, and songs. Now, one would expect FF7 to be #1 game, but it wasn't. It was #2. FFX ended up at #1. Now we have this poll by TV Asahi asking to vote for your favorite games of all time. What was the most voted FF game? FF7 at #3 with 50501 votes. FFX was at #9 with 23001 votes. There is no difference between favorite FF and favorite game of all time, yet the almost 30000 voting gap between FF7 and X is telling. I never believed in that NHK poll because I knew the next big poll would have FF7 as the most favorite. Balance has been restored.

Unless the polls were taken with the very same people then different results are not unexpected. Also don't forget the timing. This poll was done before FFVII Remake came out. Recency bias easily could have skewed things in 7's favor.

There's no reason not to think that each poll (more or less) accurately reflects the views of those polled at that time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1