• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dance Dance Danseur Ballet Anime's Promo Video Reveals More Cast, April 8 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the first thing he says to her after that display is that he saw her panties...

Uchiyama playing a very Uchiyama character.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
this is not Princess Tutu and I can't expect it to be. this is not Princess Tutu and I can't expect it to be.

But for real, while I don't think I'll end up watching it I AM interested in the advancement of CG characters. It looks so far like they're integrating them quite nicely.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
blooperboy wrote:
this is not Princess Tutu and I can't expect it to be. this is not Princess Tutu and I can't expect it to be.

It's not Princess Tutu, it's not trying to be Princess Tutu, it's a completely different story. There's literally nothing common between Dance Dance Danseur and Princess Tutu other than ballet, so if you're set to compare the two with your standard being Princess Tutu, you're setting yourself up for certain disappointment. DDD is a "teenager/young adult finding their call in life and dealing with the hardships and joys that come with it" story, it's about Junpei accepting himself as a ballet dancer and then fighting for achieving his goals. (Also, I wonder how far the anime will go with the story, because DDD is one of those rare manga that I think got even better once it got past its first arc and got rid of the dead weight characters and the kind of eh drama they had going on... it would be a shame not seeing the later parts animated.)

So no, I really don't advise anyone going into this expecting anything even vaguely similar as Princess Tutu, just because it's ballet. It's a completely different genre.

ETA:
About the trailer, I'm a bit surprised that it's so... bright? and clean? and has those so very typical "anime about young person finding their call in life yay" kind of vibes. I mean yes, technically that's the story, but... I don't know how to put it, but going by the manga I'd been expecting something a bit more grungy and edgy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1