• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Comments on Fanservice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Girubaato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Highschool of the Dead had been passed uncut by the BBFC at a "15" certificate (despite the certificate in the image above, taken from the UK Amazon site). The series Strike Witches was given a "12" certificate and will be released as an uncut two-disc DVD on October 10. Dance in the Vampire Bund is scheduled for November.

Actually, if you look at the page in full, this rating refers to the adverts on the disc, and not even one episode of the series. You don't want to spend £40 on a 10 minute blu-ray, do you?
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks for pointing this out; how very curious. I'll send the BBFC a query on Monday.
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Manga Entertainment twitter wrote:
Fanservice does nothing to bring a new female [...] audience into anime

Silly Manga Entertainment, you can attract women with fan service, it just needs to be the right kind.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Manga Entertainment twitter wrote:
Fanservice does nothing to bring a new female [...] audience into anime

Silly Manga Entertainment, you can attract women with fan service, it just needs to be the right kind.

Yeah, I was wondering why they were acting like fanservice is necessarily drawings of women, aimed at a male audience. I'm bisexual, and enjoyed live action films with naked women in them as a teenager (though only if the film wasn't a heaping pile of misogyny, personally I always had a thing for Jamie Lee Curtis and her toplessness and banister straddling), I don't care what anyone looks like, but if they're an adult and they are a good person and they aren't someone who's dramatically different in age from me, I will get a kick out of seeing them naked (if they're older than I'd go for at this point or not a good person, I don't object to seeing them naked, but it's not a turn on). The point I'm trying to get to here is that I don't think enjoying nudity is an indication of misogyny, and as you said it's not like fanservice can't refer to shirtless guys (or butt shots of guys). I think that the issues with fanservice as it currently is presented are: A) how you never see anyone who doesn't look conventionally attractive being presented as attractive B) that the majority of fanservice is of characters who are presented as and arguably look below 18, I'm not saying there should be no fanservice like that, but I am saying that presenting the ideal of sexual attractiveness as someone who's below the age when they can stand on equal footing with the adults who eat this stuff up is wrong (of course it's not just a problem with anime, it's a problem with society in general).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
Manga lost the right to talk about Fanservice in any meaningful way the moment they picked up Dance in the Vampire Bund.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1