• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Tomodachi Game Anime's English Dub Cast, April 19 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately I think I'll just be skipping dubs this season if it's all local. No shame to anyone who doesn't care, you all deserve to watch something you enjoy however you want. But personally I have zero interest in supporting such a backwards move that will only hurt the industry moving forward (given how much CR licenses and dubs, it's naive to say otherwise). It would be hypocritical to support these dubs, and then turn around and be upset when they're successful enough for CR to see no reason to change things. And even if an individual dub may sound great, artificially cutting your talent pool so drastically only hurts the industry and the season as a whole, end of story.

And fwiw, it's not even about Dani Chambers having another major role in the same season or whatever, that kinda stuff comes in waves all the time even with remote recording and even the JPN side isn't immune to it either (current record I remember is Yuma Uchida with three or four lead roles in one season). Plus there are actors getting cast like Ben Balmaceda or Josh Bangle who are new to getting major roles, which is always a good thing.

It's that most voice recording from ADR, video games (even AAA), original animation, etc... is still allowing a variety of in-studio + remote recording, but CR/Sony does not want to for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with making a better product. And I just can't support that even if I have watched and enjoyed dubs alongside subs for years prior.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty solid, in-house, cast but it would've been cool if they had used remote-recording to have Wendee Lee as Manabu for a shared Conan casting-gag. Then again they didn't use the Kirito gag for Kamui in Full Dive, I guess I'm not surprised.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
It would be hypocritical to support these dubs, and then turn around and be upset when they're successful enough for CR to see no reason to change things.
I very much doubt fewer people watching the dub version would send them a message that they need to do more remote recodings. But if it's just a case of principal, then ok i get that.
Vizo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This anime is the only one to catch my attention this season. I'm so glad this and others are getting dubbed so soon. This is exactly what I was hoping for with Funi & Crunchy working together again- the return of 1-2 week simuldubs. Very Happy
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
It would be hypocritical to support these dubs, and then turn around and be upset when they're successful enough for CR to see no reason to change things.
I very much doubt fewer people watching the dub version would send them a message that they need to do more remote recodings. But if it's just a case of principal, then ok i get that.

Oh for sure, I'm not naive enough to think my choices would matter. The sudden shift has just been really sad to see as someone who's always wanted that side of the industry to grow and improve for the better, and it actually was until now. And I know it's kind of a silly thing to admit considering there are definitely bigger problems in the anime industry, but it's more exhausting than it's worth to care about something and feel like no one else really does (because they either don't care about dubs already or they're happier that they're getting them faster), so it's easier on me to just step away and just watch subs for now from CR if I don't like what they're doing.
ItsATM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Vizo wrote:
This anime is the only one to catch my attention this season. I'm so glad this and others are getting dubbed so soon. This is exactly what I was hoping for with Funi & Crunchy working together again- the return of 1-2 week simuldubs. Very Happy

How has Spy x Family, The Executioner, Kaguya-Sama, Komi season 2, and quite a few others not caught your attention? Lots of good stuff this spring lol
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
So going forward the norm is going to be to condemn Crunchyroll every time they annonce non-union dubs. I also want voice actors to be better paid, but anime is a business. Crunchyroll is going to keep making the great majority of its dubs non-union in Dallas.

Vizo wrote:
This is exactly what I was hoping for with Funi & Crunchy working together again- the return of 1-2 week simuldubs. Very Happy

I believe the return of timely simuldubs is more related to relaxed COVID restrictions.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:24 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately I think I'll just be skipping dubs this season if it's all local. No shame to anyone who doesn't care, you all deserve to watch something you enjoy however you want. But personally I have zero interest in supporting such a backwards move that will only hurt the industry moving forward (given how much CR licenses and dubs, it's naive to say otherwise). It would be hypocritical to support these dubs, and then turn around and be upset when they're successful enough for CR to see no reason to change things. And even if an individual dub may sound great, artificially cutting your talent pool so drastically only hurts the industry and the season as a whole, end of story.

It's your own choice to not support them but speaking as someone who's not too thrilled with Crunchyroll's decision either, I don't think it's helpful or fair to punish the TX voice cast for a decision Sony made that's out of their hands until they're able to unionize. Meanwhile until they do the TX talent still has jobs to do and their own families to feed. And if you're going to abandon Crunchyroll dubs because of the corporate politics but continue watching subs, you should also consider those Japanese anime studios that overwork and underpay their animation staff as well. Just this season we have Dance Dance Danseur being done by MAPPA who is one of the more infamous Japanese studios known for their mistreatment of their staff yet lots of anime fans will probably watch it whether subbed or dubbed.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's your own choice to not support them but speaking as someone who's not too thrilled with Crunchyroll's decision either, I don't think it's helpful or fair to punish the TX voice cast for a decision Sony made

If we want to talk "not helpful or fair" I'd say framing Kitkat's personal and individual choice to not watch these dubs as "punishing" the actors involved qualifies a lot more. If somebody decides they don't want to eat at Chick-fil-a, they're not punishing their local franchise's minimum wage workers by not patronizing it. Kitkat even went out of their way to say they're not directing anyone else to do the same.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

If we want to talk "not helpful or fair" I'd say framing Kitkat's personal and individual choice to not watch these dubs as "punishing" the actors involved qualifies a lot more. If somebody decides they don't want to eat at Chick-fil-a, they're not punishing their local franchise's minimum wage workers by not patronizing it. Kitkat even went out of their way to say they're not directing anyone else to do the same.
I don't think Chickfila is analogous because in the case of Chickfila your money directly goes to the corporation. In the case of anime dubs, voice actors are paid by the number of lines they do (which there should be better standards than that) and not by your streaming numbers. Whether you watch it subbed or dubbed, the voice actors and studio staff are already paid and whether you watch it or not doesn't really effect it other than maybe the streaming numbers.
Vizo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
ItsATM wrote:
Vizo wrote:

How has Spy x Family, The Executioner, Kaguya-Sama, Komi season 2, and quite a few others not caught your attention? Lots of good stuff this spring lol

While those series do seem rightfully anticipated, I have a thing for survival games and action/thrillers in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1