• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why You Should Party With Ya Boy Kongming!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
I think most anime fans are somewhat familiar with the Three Kingdoms. There's been plenty of anime adaptions, genderbent or otherwise. At they very least Fate/Grand Order players know Kongming as the guy possessing poor overworked Waver.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
There's a typo.
He becomes Eiko's greatest alley ally in her struggle to make her way in the brutal music biz.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the Romance itself, but I do have enough Dynasty Warriors experience that I got hyped for this series on title alone. I love how accurately ruthless Kongming is for such a feel-good series, but also how that gets contrasted against how thrilled to bits he is at getting to use those powers in a way that isn't trading in human lives. (Just livelihoods. Don't mess with EIKO.) Easily the best of the season, just on vibes.

Also, and I think about this basically every episode, major props to the casting for matching VAs and vocalists so well you can't notice the switch when the singing starts. Speaking or singing, Eiko always sounds like Eiko.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this show get some recognition! I didn't even know about it until an upcoming anime PV watch party, but now it's my second favorite anime of the season (behind Spy X Family). I love that in addition to the creative stratagems and catchy tunes, it features good comedy and a lot of heart. Really hope more people discover how great it is.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I think most anime fans are somewhat familiar with the Three Kingdoms. There's been plenty of anime adaptions, genderbent or otherwise. At they very least Fate/Grand Order players know Kongming as the guy possessing poor overworked Waver.

I have a very weird set of interests even among anime fans, so I have absolutely no clue what it is your average Tom, Dick or Larry J. Otaku would have a frame of reference for. So I err on the side of caution.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This is legitimately one of my favorite new anime I've seen in a long time, and I have to say I'm glad it's getting the level of attention it is despite being a Hidive simulcast. They have the back catalog to compete with Crunchyroll (albeit less so now that Crunchyroll is eating Funimation), but the main weakness of Hidive has always been that they haven't done a good job of securing the rights to high profile new series. I'll take them getting this as a sign that they're starting to move in the right direction on that front.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
the main weakness of Hidive has always been that they haven't done a good job of securing the rights to high profile new series. I'll take them getting this as a sign that they're starting to move in the right direction on that front.

I think it's a bit unfair to word it quite like that. After all, Hidive only started up in 2017, which by that point both Crunchyroll & FUNimation had been simulcasting for close to a decade & had established themselves as reliable partners for new shows like this. Not just that, but Hidive doesn't have anywhere near the same reach of Crunchyroll does (I believe just over 500,000 users, compared to CR's multi-millions), so many licensors tended to prefer inking deals with the service that gets them the larger viewer base.

Not just that, but I'm sure Crunchyroll often were both able & willing to simply offer more money than Hidive on a regular basis for simulcast licenses over the years, making it tougher to Hidive (& FUNimation, until recently) to get the rights to many new shows. I'm sure Hidive would have loved to get shows like Demon Slayer or Spy x Family & did put in offers to simulcast them, only for Crunchyroll to simply offer more money for them.

If anything (aside from the AMC purchase maybe helping give Hidive a little more financial power), Crunchyroll edging closer to being a monopoly with the FUNimation merger has likely made some Japanese licensors less happy to be given fewer options, so now they're more willing to work with Hidive, as seen with TMS siding with Hidive for Lupin the 3rd lately. Sure, it's a smaller viewer base, but better to see if you can help build up a second option with new quality titles than to simply give in to the giant conglomerate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1