• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Plex Streaming Service Adds 24/7 HIDIVE Anime Channel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime is… on right now. 24 hours a day!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
How many people are actually going to use Plex for this instead of its main utility: streaming the pirated files they've downloaded to other devices and locations?
Sketchor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Unlike the anime channels on PlutoTV (baring the Yu-Gi-Oh one) they stream the dubs, pretty neat.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when this was coming out; AMC announced it with five other FAST channels about a year ago, and I'm pretty sure all the other ones were released months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've still yet to see a single Sentai dub that's impressed me. Sad to say, but I regretfully have to skip this opportunity. Even checked out their recent work on Made in Abyss and Vinland Saga and it was just... lacking compared to the standard I hold Funimation and every other company to.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I've still yet to see a single Sentai dub that's impressed me. Sad to say, but I regretfully have to skip this opportunity. Even checked out their recent work on Made in Abyss and Vinland Saga and it was just... lacking compared to the standard I hold Funimation and every other company to.

Are HiDive's English dubs that bad? What are the problems? Are they made with inexperienced actors?
And doesn't Vinland Saga have two different English dubs? I know the anime has two separate dubs in French and Neutral Spanish, one of them is made by Netflix.
Farafra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Are HiDive's English dubs that bad? What are the problems? Are they made with inexperienced actors?
And doesn't Vinland Saga have two different English dubs? I know the anime has two separate dubs in French and Neutral Spanish, one of them is made by Netflix.

They're not as bad as they used to be, but they've been at this long enough that they still shouldn't sound as awkward as they still do. Comedy dubs are probably where Sentai shines the most, but that's not exactly a high bar to clear.
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
How many people are actually going to use Plex for this instead of its main utility: streaming the pirated files they've downloaded to other devices and locations?

my thoughts exactly lol, I've literally only seen people talk about those features despite them trying to change their image a bit with the legal streaming and such. I've seen queer duck get listed on one of the free sections but that's about all i remember about it
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Anime is… on right now. 24 hours a day!

Ah yes, someone from my generation. Anime hyper
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

To be fair, HiDIVE needs all the exposure that they can get without kowtowing to competitor streaming sites like Hulu, Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc.
Erulogos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

HiDive dubs tend to be hit and miss. Mostly they seem to be made with whoever is on hand at the time, so if good talent that matches the roles well is around they're fine but if the A list (such as they seem to have access to compared to Funiroll or Netflix) is occupied their bench really can't cover. This is most apparent when there are lots of named speaking characters (See: the Eminence in Shadow dub) where a lot of roles are not cast as well as you'd hope.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:32 am Reply with quote
Sentai dubs don’t have the resources or production values that the other studios have, and their casts tend to be lower-key, but they’ve gotten better. I enjoyed their Saint Seiya dub a lot. I thought it was almost on par with Viz’s Sailor Moon dub. I also like their Venus Wars redub, and the bits I’ve seen of their Urusei Yatsura (2022) dub seem to be the best that franchise has ever gotten.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
More anime with subs, good, I think.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Enough that their main source of revenue is streaming at this point, and that they are investing less and less resources into its primary function. Like in all things, advertisment revenue apparently trumps all.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

A lot of it just comes down to personal preference. I’ve seen a lot of people who prefer Sentai’s Vinland Saga dub to the one on Netflix. I don’t really see any issue with Made in Abyss either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2