×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: VRV Streaming Service Bundle Merges With Crunchyroll




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hagaren Viper



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 773
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:04 am Reply with quote
I guess it makes sense that VRV goes away first, but I sure hope they figure out their Funimation merging soon*. I've been holding on to my Funi account both since it's cheaper and waiting to see how they actually handle half the stuff they promised and so far haven't delivered.

*spoiler[Or maybe not, since Crunchy's player always gave me more trouble than Funi's ever did, but it is what it is.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustMonika



Joined: 17 Jan 2022
Posts: 1018
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I guess it makes sense that VRV goes away first, but I sure hope they figure out their Funimation merging soon*. I've been holding on to my Funi account both since it's cheaper and waiting to see how they actually handle half the stuff they promised and so far haven't delivered.

*spoiler[Or maybe not, since Crunchy's player always gave me more trouble than Funi's ever did, but it is what it is.]


Yeah it seems they bit off more than they could chew because I thought everything was supposed to be moved over from Funimation to Crunchyroll in like a month, lol .. A year later and they're not even close, lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kakashi12210



Joined: 25 Sep 2007
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I guess it makes sense that VRV goes away first, but I sure hope they figure out their Funimation merging soon*. I've been holding on to my Funi account both since it's cheaper and waiting to see how they actually handle half the stuff they promised and so far haven't delivered.

*spoiler[Or maybe not, since Crunchy's player always gave me more trouble than Funi's ever did, but it is what it is.]


Yeah it seems they bit off more than they could chew because I thought everything was supposed to be moved over from Funimation to Crunchyroll in like a month, lol .. A year later and they're not even close, lol


Yeah when it was first announced they gave an exact month where 90%+ of the stuff would be moved over. When that month came and passed only like less than 20% of the stuff had moved over. After that they deleted all mentions of what month everything was suppose to happen hoping everyone would just forget lol.

When this was announced I made a giant list of everything that was in my Funimation watchlist. So far I've managed to probably delete only half of it. The rest of it hasn't moved over yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 4470
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
kakashi12210 wrote:

Yeah when it was first announced they gave an exact month where 90%+ of the stuff would be moved over. When that month came and passed only like less than 20% of the stuff had moved over. After that they deleted all mentions of what month everything was suppose to happen hoping everyone would just forget lol.

When this was announced I made a giant list of everything that was in my Funimation watchlist. So far I've managed to probably delete only half of it. The rest of it hasn't moved over yet.


I did the same since I didn't believe that they would manage to transfer watch lists like they said.

There have been other weird things about it like how I got an email from Funimation for my gift that comes with the Plus Ultra tier, but I had canceled my Funimation subscription a year earlier. Fulfillment actually came via Crunchyroll, but to their credit worked like Crunchyroll said it would. Funimation never did get that part right. The first year, emails to claim it went out super late with codes that expired, so many people missed out. The second year, the gift item turned out to be the same thing as the first, which doesn't make much sense since people probably didn't want a second one. I decided to take the gift this time around since I figured they owed me for bungling it before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryo_rkgk



Joined: 15 Sep 2022
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Lets not forget that Funimation is literally robbing people with this merger. Everyone that was promised digital copies of anime, that are stored on funimation servers, has not even been told what happens to said media. Just another example that blurays can never go away because we cannot trust digital monoplies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtomeGay



Joined: 14 Oct 2021
Posts: 119
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Is VRV content already available on CR, or do we have to wait? I tried looking around the website but couldn't find anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZLeafCat



Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
OtomeGay wrote:
Is VRV content already available on CR, or do we have to wait? I tried looking around the website but couldn't find anything.


According to the FAQ, content on the VRV Select and Mondo channels will be unavailable after the VRV service ends. So it seems the VRV Select and Mondo content will not be migrated to Crunchyroll.

Quote:
What will happen to VRV Select and Mondo channels?
Content from these channels will no longer be available after the VRV service ends.

[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nDroae



Joined: 26 May 2017
Posts: 382
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:23 am Reply with quote
I used to use a free VRV account connected to my regular premium CR account to download anime to watch offline in the VRV app. Then Crunchyroll made offline viewing in the CR app a premium feature in the higher-priced "Mega Fan" and "Ultimate Fan" CR subscription tiers. In January 2022, I was mysteriously no longer able to use my lower-priced CR account to unlock premium access to the CR channel in VRV. I got this response from customer service:

Quote:
Hello nDroae,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Sorry to hear you are running into this. This is a known issue that's actually affecting a number of users who cannot relink their Crunchyroll account to VRV. Our team is hard at work putting together a fix.


I wonder whether others were able to continue doing that. I gave up on it, since it's not worth it to me to pay extra to unlock this feature that should have been included in the base package.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtomeGay



Joined: 14 Oct 2021
Posts: 119
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the FAQ, content on the VRV Select and Mondo channels will be unavailable after the VRV service ends. So it seems the VRV Select and Mondo content will not be migrated to Crunchyroll.


Oh, dang. The MBMBaM TV show was on there, I'm gonna miss it. Hoping they'll find another service to put it on. Thanks for the info!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group