• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Solo Leveling Anime Reveals Main Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:22 am Reply with quote
Very good voice cast! I hope for a complete adaptation!

Taito Ban is VERY SIMILAR to Enoki Junya voice.
Foranoda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:36 am Reply with quote
great cast, but greatly disliking the fact they're renaming the characters, because that will cause issues later in th story.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
Foranoda wrote:
great cast, but greatly disliking the fact they're renaming the characters, because that will cause issues later in th story.

For what it is worth, Crunchyroll is so far using the Korean names.
Foranoda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:47 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Foranoda wrote:

In the subs, sure. But I already hated the dissonance between the japanese and korean names in tower of god.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
Foranoda wrote:

If they didn't do that, the nationalists would complain that anime is being colonized by the Koreans.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
Cast and visuals are on-point.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
Foranoda wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Foranoda wrote:

In the subs, sure. But I already hated the dissonance between the japanese and korean names in tower of god.

Oh heavens, I HATE that crap in Kingdom.

If they are doing the same here they better dub it because I refuse to watch it like that.
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it's not another anime that the manhwa fans gaslit people into thinking it's good. I have trust issues after every other webtoon adaptation.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading the first volume of the light novel and finding it average at best. Maybe it just isn't the type of story/main character I usually like, so I got bored reading it (so far). I can't really feel the protagonist's emotions, so I cannot connect with him and, consequently, feel about him and his world. But considering its fame, I want to give it a chance and finish the first volume at the very least.
My question is: does it improve later on, and if so, in which aspects? I found the characterizations and the plot too generic/derivative overall (there are other issues too, but those are my main complaints).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Hopefully it's not another anime that the manhwa fans gaslit people into thinking it's good. I have trust issues after every other webtoon adaptation.

You'd be disappointed to learn that even the bigger "fans" of the series are full front on acknowledging that it's nothing special in any way. The story and characters are as barebones as it gets, the main draw for the series has always been DOBU's art, otherwise it's a very basic "the weakest guy becomes OP" narrative.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:03 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepMonkey is right. Despite being one of the best selling manwa ever, the story is basically any power fantasy that you can find in any light novel. The main reasons for the fame is the wonderful artwork (which you wouldn't see in the light novel), and the fact that the MC is somehow even more OP than your average light novel power fantasy protagonist.

Because of this, fans are complaining that if the anime's animation isn't top tier, half the reason to watch is already gone.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
So how do you imagine the English dub will tackle the naming issue?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1