• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga's Live-Action Knights of the Zodiac Film Crosses US$920,000 in U.S. Box Offi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is the thing that finally convinces Toei to leave Saint Seiya alone. Seriously, there have been so many misses with this franchise under Toei's watch. Soul of Gold, Saintia Sho, the CGI remake series and this movie.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:36 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
I wonder if this is the thing that finally convinces Toei to leave Saint Seiya alone. Seriously, there have been so many misses with this franchise under Toei's watch. Soul of Gold, Saintia Sho, the CGI remake series and this movie.

"Under Toei's watch?"

Saint Seiya has ALWAYS been under Toei's watch since the OG anime debuted in late 1986. The only exception was TMS making the Lost Canvas OVAs from 2009 to 2011, and I'm pretty sure that, more or less, is the entire reason why Toei keeps making new Saint Seiya stuff: To prevent anyone else from even thinking of doing so. They'll even announce stuff literally years in advance just to make sure no one tries to take advantage of any possible gaps in time.

And with Masami Kurumada's 50th Anniversary as a mangaka happening next year? It's all but guaranteed that Toei will be making some sort of new Saint Seiya production to celebrate.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
And with Masami Kurumada's 50th Anniversary as a mangaka happening next year? It's all but guaranteed that Toei will be making some sort of new Saint Seiya production to celebrate.

That isn't a fourth season of the CG show...
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally hoping for a Saint Seiya: Next Dimension adaptation. The manga's going to be ending in 10 more chapters, at 118 chapters (aka 16 volumes). When it's finally done, it'll be a good time to animate it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:04 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
I wonder if this is the thing that finally convinces Toei to leave Saint Seiya alone. Seriously, there have been so many misses with this franchise under Toei's watch.

I was this many years old when I found out the original Saint Seiya manga had the plug pulled on it.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Which is wild given it was directly competing with Dragon Ball for like three straight years.
Randomix

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya anime reboot please - Dragon Quest 2020 anime treatment.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Will this negate Toei's profits from last year's One Piece movie?
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Will this negate Toei's profits from last year's One Piece movie?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
I'm personally hoping for a Saint Seiya: Next Dimension adaptation. The manga's going to be ending in 10 more chapters, at 118 chapters (aka 16 volumes). When it's finally done, it'll be a good time to animate it.

Yeah, that'd be my guess if ND truly does end this year. I'd personally would love to see more than just Saint Seiya get an anime of some sort next year, since the anniversary isn't specifically for Seiya, but it is what it is.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote
For a thoroughly average movie, this is the sort of performance that results in a franchise being buried for decades.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:30 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
For a thoroughly average movie, this is the sort of performance that results in a franchise being buried for decades.

It's the kind of performance you get when you do absolutely no advertisement for the film.

Fortunately for them, they didn't apparently spend a lot of money on the single film (and may have money set aside for more sequels even at this level of performance).
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:57 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
"Under Toei's watch?"
Saint Seiya has ALWAYS been under Toei's watch since the OG anime debuted in late 1986. The only exception was TMS making the Lost Canvas OVAs from 2009 to 2011, and I'm pretty sure that, more or less, is the entire reason why Toei keeps making new Saint Seiya stuff: To prevent anyone else from even thinking of doing so. They'll even announce stuff literally years in advance just to make sure no one tries to take advantage of any possible gaps in time.

I was talking about recent times.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
....has earned an estimated US$920,071 at the box office in its second weekend in the United States.

Woah, slow down movie. Not so fast! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1