• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron Film Reveals English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:25 am Reply with quote
Batista voice acting for a Ghibli film? Must admit I'm dumbfounded and intrigued at the same time. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
Imagine if all anime got famous actors to voice characters. Would be amazing for a change.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
So the question I wanna ask now is, how much did this cost? How much money does GKIDS have? Like, I get that big name celebrities is to be expected in a new Ghibli joint, especially for Hayao Miyazaki films. And it's really cool that we have some actors returning from previous Miyazaki dubs like Christian Bale and Mark Hamill, for what was supposed to be Hayao Miyazaki's final film (until he changed his mind again).

I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the expense? Would less people have watched Hayao Miyazaki's "final" film if they cast normal voice actors? I mean, I'm not complaining, but I felt like asking the question anyway.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
Bale in another Miyazaki dub? Actually this whole cast is a who's who of DC/Marvel people.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
Christian Bale and Mark Hammill have been in some prior Ghibli Films, well bale has I'm a but unsure if I'm misremembering Hamill.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
well bale has I'm a but unsure if I'm misremembering Hamill.

Mark Hamill was in Castle in the Sky.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Christian Bale and Mark Hammill have been in some prior Ghibli Films, well bale has I'm a but unsure if I'm misremembering Hamill.

Correct, Mark Hamill was in the Disney dubs for Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa.

Also, Willem Dafoe was in Tales from Earthsea.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Also, Willem Dafoe was in Tales from Earthsea.

I've never seen that one, but I did hear that it also had Timothy Dalton in it.
Diorgenson4321

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Imagine if all anime got famous actors to voice characters. Would be amazing for a change.

Too Expensive for one, and naturally they have to be used to dubbing pretty quickly and regularly. Additionally, not all celebrities are good at voice acting (since acting and voice acting don't necessarily mean that if one is good at one thing they'll be amazing at the other). Though this cast they have experience with anime before and voice acting in general.

Plus we got plenty of amazing talent and many more. Though funny enough because of popularity of anime, you'll start to see celebrities go out of their way to be in anime dubs because they love anime that much i.e voice of Zamasu who is a DB fan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see Christian Bale is doing his 2nd anime voice acting role after Howl's Flying Castle, nice to see him making a comeback for this one. Oh and nice to see Mark Hamill, Willem Defoe joining this one given their previous experience with Ghibli films. Also, very cool to see Gemma Chan, & Karen Fukuhara to join the cast.

Quote:
The company produced the dub in accordance with the SAG-AFTRA Foreign Dubbing Agreement. Michael Sinterniklaas is the dub's director at NYAV Post, and Stephanie Sheh is the English script writer.

Oh not really surprised to have both Michael and Stephanie involved with the dubbing process, but my surprises is: Why not give Karen Fukuhara beside voice acting maybe a job at the dubbing production and quality control job for the dub? According to Wikipedia, Karen Fukuhara previously had done translating, and subtitle editor prior to her becoming an actress. Given her experience, NYAV Post probably should've asked Karen if she could act as a translator, translating quality assurance and control, and checking to make sure the translation and other stuff is consistent with it's Japanese presentation for this dub job.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Batista voice acting for a Ghibli film? Must admit I'm dumbfounded and intrigued at the same time. Shocked

I'm also intrigued to see Dave Batista getting involved in a Studio Ghibli anime. That's really unexpected, and seeing Robert Pattinson getting involved in this dub is very interesting given his interesting take on anime in the past.

I can't wait to see how this dub come out, and the cast list is very very promising and seeing Christian Bale getting involved the 2nd time is just wow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
merr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
So the question I wanna ask now is, how much did this cost? How much money does GKIDS have? Like, I get that big name celebrities is to be expected in a new Ghibli joint, especially for Hayao Miyazaki films. And it's really cool that we have some actors returning from previous Miyazaki dubs like Christian Bale and Mark Hamill, for what was supposed to be Hayao Miyazaki's final film (until he changed his mind again).

I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the expense? Would less people have watched Hayao Miyazaki's "final" film if they cast normal voice actors? I mean, I'm not complaining, but I felt like asking the question anyway.

IIRC, Ghibli has more direct involvement in the dub productions than is usual, so the celebrity casting is probably at their behest even if Disney started the habit for them. It also matches the Japanese cast, which mostly comprises celebrities and on-screen actors instead of anime seiyuu.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Dave Bautista getting a role in an anime dub. What's next John Cena or Roman Reigns getting one in the future? I would like to see that.
fausti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Dave Bautista getting a role in an anime dub. What's next John Cena or Roman Reigns getting one in the future? I would like to see that.

Dunno about Roman, but Cena has been crushing it as an actor. I'd love to hear him do an anime role.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hold on, I just realized something: I was looking through the Japanese voice cast and found out that Yoshino Kimura who voiced Natsuko in the movie, she happened to be a fluent English speaker (she was born in the UK, and moved to Japan) and has acted in a English-speaking role for a horror anthology back in 2007. I wonder why Studio Ghibli and GKIDS didn't ask her (or she couldn't fit into the schedule) to reprise her role for the English dub (would explain why Gemma Chen was casted) given some Japanese VAs sometime do reprise their role in English like in the case of Karin Kagami, Miyuki Sawashiro, Mari Ijima, and Sally Amaki, If she was busy or couldn't fit the schedule to reprise, I would understand but there was a missed opportunity for a Japanese VA to reprise their role for the English dub, and Yoshino Kimura could've done that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Big Dave Bautista in an anime film?

I'm in shock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2