• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball: Sparking! Zero Game's Trailer Highlights Goku, Vegeta's Rivalry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:43 pm Reply with quote
24 characters and they’re all Goku and Vegeta? The roster is going to be massive.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I think I counted 4 Gokus already in base form
Megax36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The unfortunate thing about this game... as with all fighting games in the modern era... is that it will likely be plagued with season pass content, as well as other forms of micro transactions for costumes and whatnot. This is the sole reason I quit buying fighting games, the only exceptions are in cases where they release some form of "ultimate edition" that has all the DLC every released for the game. Seeing as how Fighter Z never did this, I doubt this will either. So as good as it looks, I'll have to pass.
KiboEM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
The unfortunate thing about this game... as with all fighting games in the modern era... is that it will likely be plagued with season pass content, as well as other forms of micro transactions for costumes and whatnot. This is the sole reason I quit buying fighting games, the only exceptions are in cases where they release some form of "ultimate edition" that has all the DLC every released for the game. Seeing as how Fighter Z never did this, I doubt this will either. So as good as it looks, I'll have to pass.

This game has a roster of 164 characters, while BT3 had 161. Old characters got massively updated in visuals, while a lot of new characters from the Super Saga will be introduces. Of course, a lot of old characters will be cut. BT3 did also have multiple variations of multiple characters. I wonder what you still expect?

It‘s been 17 years since the last game. And what‘s the harm with Season Passes? I can see this game being supported for years, and it‘s not wrong in doing so. This game is already huge in roster and visuals. I hope it get‘s the Xenoverse 2 treatment.

Microtransactions and skins (if they are in the game) are optional. No one forces you to buy them. It‘s sad that you base you decision with just this little aspect that hasn‘t even been confirmed.
Vercinto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
Games nowadays cost much, much more to make than years ago.

Also, you DON'T need to have them all, anyway.

Base game will have enough characters for everyone (normal) to have fun, and DLC characters are always, if you reeeeeeally want them.

Myself, in FighterZ purchased 2-3 extra characters over time, and was content with them.
KiboEM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:28 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I think I counted 4 Gokus already in base form

BT3 had 5 Gokus.

Son Goku (Early)
Son Goku (Mid) + Super Saiyan
Son Goku (End) + Super Saiyan + Super Saiyan 2 + Super Saiyan 3 + Vegito + Vegito Super Saiyan + Gogeta Super Saiyan
Son Goku (Kid) + Ōzaru
Son Goku (GT) + Super Saiyan + Super Saiyan 3 + Super Saiyan 4 + Gogeta Super Saiyan 4
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:05 am Reply with quote
KiboEM wrote:

Microtransactions and skins (if they are in the game) are optional. No one forces you to buy them. It‘s sad that you base you decision with just this little aspect that hasn‘t even been confirmed.

FighterZ had it, both Xenoverse games had it, & Kakarot had it.

This game not having DLC would actually be a shock.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:10 am Reply with quote
I for one think the game should be completely free and the devs should support it with additional content for at least 5 years with no financial compensation. For the fans. For the passion. For the exposure!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:48 am Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:
Games nowadays cost much, much more to make than years ago.

This is (very) common rhetoric, but completely false. Games are cheaper to make today than any any other point in history. And easier. And can be made much, much faster. Like have you even seen what old 3D modeling software was like, and compared it to what's available now? Not to mention the newer programming languages, all the different game engines available, or all the various middlewares and asset stores. Meanwhile the audience of people who play games has grown exponentially, enabling each individual game to (potentially) become exponentially more profitable. Especially so in this digital age where production and distribution costs effectively no longer exist.

This line that, "Oh no, games are so much more expensive to make today" is 100% corporate apologia -- propaganda, really -- and only ever seems to crop up on defense of large corporations doing or potentially doing something anti-consumer.

Like a lot of propaganda, it's based on a kernel of truth to make it easier to swallow if you don't think about it too much: AAA games absolutely are more expensive to produce than ever before. But that's because the large publishers than demand them have massively inflated their budgets (of those three As, remember, one is for the marketing budget)[1][2] along with their scope and scale. A team of several hundred developers working for 6+ years to create a small simulacrum of a world with hyper-realistic visuals and animations is simply not being crafted under the same conditions as, say, you averaged licensed anime tie-in game.

AAA Games Are an entirely unique beast to the rest of the industry, and are created under entirely different conditions.

The reason AAA games can afford to be so much bigger is -- again -- their audience has grown exponentially, making them (here's that word again) exponentially more profitable.

If AAA games needed DLC, etc., to be sustainable... AAA games would not be sustainable.i

This line that, "Oh no, games are so much more expensive to make today" always has this subtext: shut up, this is a necessary evil, if giant corporation wasn't doing X (where X is the anti-consumer move du jour) then they wouldn't be able to afford making the game in the first place; shut up, or we won't get our toys.

Outside of the AAA sphere, each and every -- and I do mean every -- game is developer under entirely unique economic circumstances. Generally speaking, though, developing a game in 2024 of the scope and scale as a game in 2004 would be much easier and cheaper to do, for a host of reasons, some of which I've mentioned here.[3] But there are more factors at play here, because there always are. Reality isn't so simple that you can ever point to just one thing and say, "That's why." Like I haven't even gotten in to the pros and cons of licensing, which is especially relevant here -- developers have to pay for those, you know? The idea is that the cost of the license will be made up for by increased visibility and, therefore, more potential consumers and, therefore, more sales -- or external factors like, you know, that-demon-named-Inflation.[4]

Anyway, Vercinto, the point of all this isn't to jump down your throat or anything -- I hope you don't take any offense to this little rant, because it very much was not meant to cause any. Rather, you simply repeated a bit of (frighteningly) ubiquitous anti-consumer rhetoric at just the right time to trigger me into a small (by my standards) rant.

The main thing here -- the crux of this post, really -- is just how profoundly wearying it is to see this rhetoric repeated again and again, ad nausea, for year after year after year, almost always to the effect of stifling further conversation or consideration: always, always, always in the favor of the big corpos doing what they can to manipulate the status quo on their favor.

————————

1. The three As of AAA: top-tier quality, top-tier marketing, top-tier sales.
2. Yes, my rants have footnotes. The real question is: why don't yours? They're very useful.
3. Personally I think the biggest and least-discussed factor differentiating modern gamedev from the gamedev of old is simply how much easier the tools are to use (also: access and learn). You can make a game today without knowing the first thing about coding! That's incredible!
4. Or that other demon that haunts the non-AAA world: Discoverability.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:32 am Reply with quote
spittin'
Megax36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:08 am Reply with quote
KiboEM wrote:
And what‘s the harm with Season Passes?

LOL, first off, name me a AAA fighter that's been released in the last 10 years, that hasn't contained any of those things?!

So call me old school (I'm on the cusp of 40), but part of the problem with season passes for me, lie in how much they de-value the base game. For instance, lets take Tekken 7 as an example. If I'm a child and my parents bought me the base game for $70 plus tax, and later on we end up with 4 season passes worth of additional content somewhere down the line. First off, there's no guarantee that my parents can afford to pay for additional content, second you have now lowered the value of the base game by requiring me (or my parents) to incur more cost in order to keep my roster on a level playing field with anyone else that I would be playing against online. I mean after all, you couldn't really call it a fair game, if others have access to a larger roster of characters than I do, just because they happen to have enough wealth to keep paying the developer for more content.

I miss the days where if devs had ideas for more content or improvements to a game, they would save it for a sequel! By sticking to this rule, you keep all the players on a level playing field. Using this model, the only impediment to being able to to play the game, is one simply being able to afford the base game, and not requiring you to be able to afford that and who knows how many additional season passes that are released after the fact, like it is today.

I think the 7th gen consoles (360, PS3) utilized the online component in a more reserved/justified manner then current generations do. During the 7th generation, the online component was used to compliment games, with things like bug fix patches, demos, online gameplay with friends or family, or to simply give someone the flexibility to download the game in full if they didn't want to bother to travel to a store to pick up a physical copy. Fast forward to today, and while the online component is still used for those things, it's also used to exploit gamers with endless amounts of paid DLC, in the form of microtransactions, season passes, skins, etc, and a lot of games are only available digitally now instead of serving as a compliment to a physical release. I know there were some games during the 7th gen that did these same things, but they were much fewer in number.

I don't have a problem with free DLC (like GoW Ragnarok, Valhalla), as this offers additional value, and proves that you're not trying to nickel and dime the players who already paid for the game. This is usually the result of content that was already developed for the game, but cut from the final release for some reason. However, I also realize that developing unplanned additional content cost time and thus money, and it's unreasonable to expect devs to work on something and not get paid for it. So in cases where they can't offer the DLC for free, I would prefer they save it for a sequel.

TLDR, in short, I see the industry shifting more towards tactics that benefit the companies, and not the players, and I think one of the best ways to fight something you don't agree with is by using your wallet!
KiboEM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
KiboEM wrote:
And what‘s the harm with Season Passes?

LOL, first off, name me a AAA fighter that's been released in the last 10 years, that hasn't contained any of those things?!

So call me old school (I'm on the cusp of 40), but part of the problem with season passes for me, lie in how much they de-value the base game. For instance, lets take Tekken 7 as an example. If I'm a child and my parents bought me the base game for $70 plus tax, and later on we end up with 4 season passes worth of additional content somewhere down the line. First off, there's no guarantee that my parents can afford to pay for additional content, second you have now lowered the value of the base game by requiring me (or my parents) to incur more cost in order to keep my roster on a level playing field with anyone else that I would be playing against online. I mean after all, you couldn't really call it a fair game, if others have access to a larger roster of characters than I do, just because they happen to have enough wealth to keep paying the developer for more content.

I miss the days where if devs had ideas for more content or improvements to a game, they would save it for a sequel! By sticking to this rule, you keep all the players on a level playing field. Using this model, the only impediment to being able to to play the game, is one simply being able to afford the base game, and not requiring you to be able to afford that and who knows how many additional season passes that are released after the fact, like it is today.

I think the 7th gen consoles (360, PS3) utilized the online component in a more reserved/justified manner then current generations do. During the 7th generation, the online component was used to compliment games, with things like bug fix patches, demos, online gameplay with friends or family, or to simply give someone the flexibility to download the game in full if they didn't want to bother to travel to a store to pick up a physical copy. Fast forward to today, and while the online component is still used for those things, it's also used to exploit gamers with endless amounts of paid DLC, in the form of microtransactions, season passes, skins, etc, and a lot of games are only available digitally now instead of serving as a compliment to a physical release. I know there were some games during the 7th gen that did these same things, but they were much fewer in number.

I don't have a problem with free DLC (like GoW Ragnarok, Valhalla), as this offers additional value, and proves that you're not trying to nickel and dime the players who already paid for the game. This is usually the result of content that was already developed for the game, but cut from the final release for some reason. However, I also realize that developing unplanned additional content cost time and thus money, and it's unreasonable to expect devs to work on something and not get paid for it. So in cases where they can't offer the DLC for free, I would prefer they save it for a sequel.

TLDR, in short, I see the industry shifting more towards tactics that benefit the companies, and not the players, and I think one of the best ways to fight something you don't agree with is by using your wallet!

And as I said, buying additional stuff is optional. Microtransactions are small stuff, which not all the fighting games have. Skins or additional characters don‘t belong in the category of microtransactions.

No one is forcing you or requiring you to buy DLC. It‘s your choice if you want it or not. It doesn‘t devalue the game whatsoever. It‘s the same principle when a sequel was released with 5-10 additional characters. If you are old fashioned, then you would realize that DLC are better in regards to the old fashioned way. Repackaging an old game with additonal characters and then smacking the number „2“ on the title doesn‘t honor the sequel number in my opinion. This way, you can choose (if you want to) what to add additionally to your existing game. It doesn‘t change anything about your fun factor of the game. If you feel obligated to buy DLC, then it‘s a you problem. And also, is it unfair that they release a sequel and you don‘t have enough wealth to buy the next game, while others are playing with the new title? Your comparason makes no sense.

Expecting free updates with additional content is also not entitled. And what if don’t access to internet? Isn’t it unfair for others to enjoy a free update when you can’t download it? Everyone wants profits. They don‘t just create companies or products to please everyone. If they work on DLC, they are entitled to make it purchasable. They put their resources into that additional content. Then it‘s up to you to buy it or not.

It is true that certain companies withhold content to make them purchasable, which is extremely disrecpectful and a scam. I don‘t deny this. But, after finishing the initial game, and starting to create DLC immediately after is acceptable. Since games have to be shipped, they have to finish developing the games, and also have to stick to their deadlines.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
I for one think the game should be completely free and the devs should support it with additional content for at least 5 years with no financial compensation. For the fans. For the passion. For the exposure!

For the broke especially if this game has online play which last I checked it’s not free to run and upkeep servers.

Megax36 wrote:
I mean after all, you couldn't really call it a fair game, if others have access to a larger roster of characters than I do,

Most fighting game players are not going to use the entirety of the roster though and even better some characters which includes DLC characters are not going to be as good as the base game characters tier wise.

Megax36 wrote:
I miss the days where if devs had ideas for more content or improvements to a game, they would save it for a sequel!

Which sometimes would not always make it in the sequel or anything at all.

Megax36 wrote:
By sticking to this rule, you keep all the players on a level playing field. Using this model, the only impediment to being able to to play the game, is one simply being able to afford the base game, and not requiring you to be able to afford that and who knows how many additional season passes that are released after the fact, like it is today.

Except in certain games back in the “old days” such as fighting games or competitive FPSes if there was a character on the roster or a play mechanic that with proper use & exploitation of could break the game rendering it non competitive. And since this was before the days of patches and hotfixes on console couldn’t just fix (though sometimes there was an attempt) and even better many of these games could be played online in spite of these problems.

So players were almost never on a true equal playing field.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
If it is going with treating things like Super Saiyan as a separate character, then I'll probably pass. That is something that has always bugged me when it happens in a DB game. I can see it for certain characters, like Cell since his forms weren't something triggered at will, but for the Saiyans, it just feels like padding. Not to mention, I've always like being able to choose if I use it mid-fight.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
If it is going with treating things like Super Saiyan as a separate character, then I'll probably pass. That is something that has always bugged me when it happens in a DB game. I can see it for certain characters, like Cell since his forms weren't something triggered at will, but for the Saiyans, it just feels like padding. Not to mention, I've always like being able to choose if I use it mid-fight.

Depends. FighterZ did have different transformations being counted as completely different characters altogether, with their own distinct movesets, but the Budokai Tenkaichi games gave you both the options to select a transformation right away in the character selection but also transform between different forms at will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2