• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NicoNico English site and their simulcasts.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Streaming this season:
Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise (Kaitō Tenshi Twin Angel), A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives (Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi), R-15, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian (Dantalian no Shoka), BLOOD-C, and Uta no Prince Sama

What are people thinking?

I like that there's a new player in town providing free legal first day streaming but...
-- I'm really disliking their player. I have to turn off the chat function every time and they do not have a true full-screen feature. To watch it in full screen you have to set your browser to full-screen and then you still have the time bar on the bottom. Plus, F11 doesn't seem to work for me when I'm actually on their own page, so I either have to find the option on the drop down menu (in Firefox) or open a new tab and use F11 there.
-- They're claiming first-week rights on the Kadokawa shows, so even though Crunchyroll has the rights to the same shows even paying subscribers like myself have to wait a week to see it in better resolution in a player that doesn't annoy so much.
-- incidentally, IMO, this selection is not the best.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
I agree that it's annoying that the Comments feature is automatically on and has to be manually turned off, but I also know that there are some people who really like that aspect. Not being able to get a true full-screen picture, or at a top resolution, is also annoying, as is not being able to turn of the subtitles so I can take subtitle-free screenshots.

However, I have also found NicoNico's player to be more rugged than Crunchyroll's. Once you load up an episode it will run flawlessly, even if you pause it for a lengthy amount of time, and it doesn't freeze up or glitch up anywhere near as often. With Crunchyroll's player, if I pause the episode for more than a minute or two then I often find the audio not working or out of alignment when I start up again and if I pause it for too long then I have to entirely re-initialize the episode. Also, NicoNico's player handles moving back and forth within the episode much more smoothly than what Crunchyroll's does.

Really, the ideal player would be NicoNico's with 720p resolution, a true full-screen, and the ability to turn subtitles off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...Once you load up an episode it will run flawlessly...

I think that's one of my biggest problems with the NicoNico player. If something goes wrong on Crunchyroll, I can just hit refresh and the problem is solved, and it starts from where I left off. More relevantly, if I watch half-way through an episode and have to go do something else, or want to go back to a specific point in an episode I'd watched earlier, I can go right back to it without waiting for the whole video to load. Jumping around on NicoNico is smoother and more reliable, but I think that goes hand-in-hand with sacrificing the ability to stream from the middle.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not that difficult to turn the comments off, and if they were off by default, different people would complain, so they can't win either way. I've found the videos on niconico take far longer to load compared to CR, but they're much more stable once they have loaded. Best thing about it is no video ads, though. True full screen and better resolution would be nice, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm just grateful there's another legal streaming service that covers the UK. Yes, the selection this season may not be great, but there are some enjoyable shows on there. Most of the decent shows for this season that are on CR (Usagi Drop and No. 6 are the 2 I'm most interested in) aren't available in the UK anyway.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Key wrote:
...Once you load up an episode it will run flawlessly...

I think that's one of my biggest problems with the NicoNico player. If something goes wrong on Crunchyroll, I can just hit refresh and the problem is solved, and it starts from where I left off. More relevantly, if I watch half-way through an episode and have to go do something else, or want to go back to a specific point in an episode I'd watched earlier, I can go right back to it without waiting for the whole video to load. Jumping around on NicoNico is smoother and more reliable, but I think that goes hand-in-hand with sacrificing the ability to stream from the middle.

Ah yes, I had this problem too when I was having intermittent internet problems recently. I had gotten through almost an entire episode when my connection went out, when my connection came back I refreshed but it only started loading from the beginning and absolutely refused to let me scroll over and start up at the point I left off at. I had to let it slowly load (slow, presumably because of the internet problems) almost the entire episode before I could get back to that point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1