• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Offers 'Buy Once, Read Anywhere' Digital Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! Between this and Jmanga [which from my understanding from what I heard earlier, will be connected to this], lots of legit options for fans Smile
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Good plan. Like where this is going.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Awesome news!

No, it's not. It's stupid to force customers to the Viz website to read a product they legally "purchased".

It should be portable to the consumer, who may want to read it somewhere an internet connection isn't available (or reasonable).

Given the fact every US cell phone carrier has re-established data caps (which is far from a coincidence of app usage growth), this now limits access via the phone for those who have to be conscious of usage, limiting the availability.

Then there's the other debate of "I don't like using my computer to read manga" (and for good reason, given some readers are crap to retain proprietary control) for the non-cell access point.

I find it laughable Viz announces this news as though they're doing customers a favor while showing no concerns about how other industries affect them.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
I refuse to encourage digital manga. If I'm not going to get physical releases, then they're not going to get my money, simple as that. If that means I'll eventually be shut out of being able to enjoy manga, so be it. But, I suppose for those that like this sort of thing, it's probably good news.
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I refuse to encourage digital manga. If I'm not going to get physical releases, then they're not going to get my money, simple as that. If that means I'll eventually be shut out of being able to enjoy manga, so be it. But, I suppose for those that like this sort of thing, it's probably good news.

Agree with this sentiment completely.
darklight9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Awsome article I could have an I pad so I can read anime / manga on the go!! Crying or Very sad Mr. Green Anime hyper Anime cry Anime catgrin
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
While I read scans online already I neutral on this one. I generally prefer holding a book in my hands instead of reading it on a screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Lol I so misinterpreted this article at first glance. I thought that once you buy manga(hard copy) you would be able get online copies for free as well. But what Viz is doing is okay I guess. I would rather they do what JManga is doing and release their properties online same day but I guess that would cut into their Shonen Jump money.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
It should be portable to the consumer, who may want to read it somewhere an internet connection isn't available (or reasonable).

Agreed, PLUS, Viz, can you make a friggin Android app? I realize the iPhone + iPad combo is pretty ubiquitous, but Android market share is pretty hefty also.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Please explain how having to be tied to an internet connection to read the manga you paid for is "anywhere". Last I checked, my iPod touch wasn't able to access the internet "anywhere". Only in certain locations like in class, which would be bad to read manga in.

I've said this before, but if they want legal digital manga to work, they need to figure out a way to allow buyers to read it offline.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Please explain how having to be tied to an internet connection to read the manga you paid for is "anywhere". Last I checked, my iPod touch wasn't able to access the internet "anywhere". Only in certain locations like in class, which would be bad to read manga in.

I've said this before, but if they want legal digital manga to work, they need to figure out a way to allow buyers to read it offline.

If you have an iOS device there already is a way to read the manga offline - just buy it through the Viz app. I've read 12+ volumes of Claymore that way, even in places where there's no WiFi or cell signal worth mentioning.

This announcement is about adding options, not taking them away.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for ISP data caps.. hopefully it limits the whole streaming/digital buying thing for longer.. I don't want physical media to die out. Granted, I read scans and then buy the manga when (if) it comes out, but as a collector I want to see it on my shelf, not on some website or a folder on my desktop. Razz More power to people if they like digital content, but I just hope physical media doesn't die as a result.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

If you have an iOS device there already is a way to read the manga offline - just buy it through the Viz app. I've read 12+ volumes of Claymore that way, even in places where there's no WiFi or cell signal worth mentioning.

This announcement is about adding options, not taking them away.

But that's only for Viz manga. I'm talking about digital manga as a whole.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to pay for the right to access digital files. I want to pay to own digital files. DRM-ish schemes like this don't interest me at all.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jmaeshawn"]
azabaro wrote:

But that's only for Viz manga. I'm talking about digital manga as a whole.

This whole article is about Viz manga, so your comment isn't particularly relevant to it - maybe you meant to post this in the JManga discussion instead?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2