• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ (TV) (Dub, adult swim).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote

Blood+ (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, mystery, supernatural
Themes: monsters, vampires

Plot Summary: Throughout the passage of time and the shifts in backgrounds, a particular war continues to leave its mark on history, extending its influence into the modern world. There are two major groups involved in the ensuring war. The first group consists of monsters known as Chiropterans who can change their appearances into that of human beings. They are actually immortals who feed on the blood of the living. The second group is an organisation known as the "Red Shield", formed to track down these monsters and exterminate them. Otonashi Saya is a high-school girl who lives a peaceful life with her family. The only problem is, she has no recollections of her life beyond that of the past year. However, her happy life will be destroyed by an event that will lead her to her destined fate.
----------------------------------

So as the show starts there's a good amount of gore as Saya just slices people into pieces. It doesn't look like there were a lot of edits for this series thus far....also nice to say the OP was kept, this first song is nice, not my favorite but more on those later.

Also I just realized that Han Zimmer was in charge of the Music Production, that's pretty sweet. Alright so right off the bat the voices sort of bug me, I thought that Saya original Seiyu did a fairly good job, but the dub is probably going to take some time to grow on me. Kai sounds pretty good to me, I will be interested to see how he's handle since there's a lot of growth in this series especially for Kai. By the way Crispin as Haji really has a nice ring to it, he's already surpassed the original as far as mine concerned but that's not saying a hole lot.

I must be getting old seeing as how 12:30 (basically 1:30 with the time change) feels like I am staying up really late, I need to get a TIVO. I guess I forgot how beautiful some of these early scene are with the castle hallaway with the light and the flowers, once again it's a Production I.G. so I shouldn't expect anything less. Till week, hopefully a release date for the first volume should be announced soon, I wonder what Sony has planned for this series.

[EDIT: Changed the title a little. -TK]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I thought that Saya original Seiyu did a fairly good job, but the dub is probably going to take some time to grow on me.

I have this thing about name pronounciations, and hearing Saya's voice actress mangle Kaori as "kaye-ORR-ee" just about ruined the dub for me. I mean honestly, is it that hard to at least get somewhere within a mile of the ballpark in saying names correctly? Crispin Freeman's Haji is the only thing redeeming the dub right now...that, and more of Van Algerno (frickin'...Algernon, whatever his name is) and his unintentionally hilarious fake French accent. But then I guess that latter item would still be considered a bad thing,wouldn't it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote
I only got to catch the second half of it, although I TiVo'd it, and The dub wasn't that bad but it just felt off the whole time, until Haji spoke and I love his voice and want to marry it.

Of course it looked good, but because I've already seen it, I know that it's going to dum down a little bit and it will get annoying for a once a week period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Damn, a new anime aired and I totally missed it. I haven't watched AS since FMA ended. Oh well, maybe they'll do reruns during the week or something.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
This was my first time seeing any of Blood+, and I was pretty impressed with the look of it. I'm not completely sure yet about how well the voices fit (and I haven't seen the subs!), but I'll give that a few episodes before making a decision.

Given how much blood and graphic content they showed, I'd be surprised if anything was cut.

I was more annoyed that they bumped the time slot back on Eureka 7 again, but that was a lackluster episode beyond finally revealing Anemone's origin.

And since we're talking about CN/AS programming last night, concerning Naruto: this show has recently started seriously annoying me again with how long they're dragging out certain parts of the current battles. (spoiler[Orochimaru and the Hokage have been locked in a death struggle for, what, six or seven episodes now?]) But episodes like last night's (which ended with spoiler[Naruto using his transformation jutsu to turn King Toad into the nine-tailed fox]), which periodically renew one's enthusiasm about what makes that series great, are what keep me watching that series.

EDIT: Erp! Corrected horrible mispelling of one character's name in the spoiler.

Last edited by Key on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(spoiler[Onsakumaru and the Hokage have been locked in a death struggle for, what, six or seven episodes now?]
There is an unintentionally hilarious mispelling in this spoiler. Somehow, I can easily picture the Third Hokage facing off with that perverted yellow ball. . . thing from Ninja Nonsense.

On the subject at hand, like Nagisa I'm not sure about Saya's voice right now. I'll forgive Kari for the slight name trouble as it is the first episode. Crispen's Haji is amazingly perfect. Although I only watched up to about the 4th or 5th episode, I clearly remember how the Japanese actor played the role and Crispen is nailing it perfectly. Actually, I'd say he's doing a better job.

All in all, I'd say that so far I'm pleased. It's not perfect yet but I make it a point to never expect perfection in a first episode.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
what time slot is it in? after Bleach where Eureka 7 used to be?
Anime Wench

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I have no complaints so far. Both Kari and Crispin are two of my favorite VAs. As far as pronounciations go, I've yet to see an English dubbed Anime where there are no differences on how the Japanese pronounce some names versus how the Americans pronounce them. And yeah, I agree. It wouldn't hurt for the Americans to put a little more effort into getting the pronounciations right , but it is not a big enough deal to me to not like the American dub version just because of it. For example, the Japanese pronounciation of Kakashi (Naruto) is KAK-a-she. The Americans pronounce it as KA-KA-she. Like I said, it happens in most of the English dubs that I've seen.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:

It's airing at 12:30 right after Bleach. If you want more information on the schedule, just check out right here.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:

It's took the place of Trinity Blood, aka the 12:30 time slot. Way pass my bedtime....I'm gettin old.

Nagisa wrote:
that, and more of Van Algerno (frickin'...Algernon, whatever his name is) and his unintentionally hilarious fake French accent. But then I guess that latter item would still be considered a bad thing,wouldn't it?

Oh my god that was completely embarrassing, I remember a month or so ago i was saying how I wanted the Le Chevalier Dub to have French accent.....I am so glad they don't in Hindsight.

Oh yeah did anyone else find it strange to see Sony Logo come up after the show ended, and on the ending is that the original ending song? I don't remember that one at all.....and I thought that I would remember that strange animation that went with it.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe AS would show spoiler[an infant getting stabbed to death]. While I have no problem with such an act being shown in-and-of itself, the show seems way too generic for something like that. Schoolgirl, amnesia, mystical powers being awakened...there are a dozen shows that I can name off the top of my head that follow the exact same formula. I don't remember Now and Then, Here and There having anything that gratuitous, but the weight of that show would have allowed for something like that to be appropriate. Unless this show makes a dramatic turnaround and takes itself more seriously, I'm going to assume that it's only there for cheap shock value.
bci110

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Unless this show makes a dramatic turnaround and takes itself more seriously, I'm going to assume that [the opening sequence] is only there for cheap shock value.

The shock value of the opening sequence to Blood+ definitely rivals that of the opener to Elfen Lied, but I don''t believe Production I.G. put it there simply for shock value. How I looked at it was a compelling, tragic, dramatic sequence that was a great lead-in to the premise of the series. The sequence, and consequently the rest of Episode 1, got me hooked on this series (much like EL's sequence got me interested in that series, and I'm not a fan of horror), and from my perspective if that's what the sequence's function was, then it did its job perfectly. Wink
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow where have I been I knew it was lisecenced but I didn't realise that it was already on Tv but I am in Canada so I doubt I even get that channel. Any news on weither or not it will appear on Canadain tv soon or when the dvd's will be released. Sorry if this is a silly question.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I have this thing about name pronounciations, and hearing Saya's voice actress mangle Kaori as "kaye-ORR-ee" just about ruined the dub for me. I mean honestly, is it that hard to at least get somewhere within a mile of the ballpark in saying names correctly?

Do you think it is really fair to blame the voice actress or actor for any mispronounced names in any dubbed anime? I would think the blame would mostly fall on the director or voice director.

As for Saya's voice, I think it sounds a tad too childish to me. But then I might be unfairly comparing it to the low, accented voice of Saya in Blood:TLV.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
How I looked at it was a compelling, tragic, dramatic sequence that was a great lead-in to the premise of the series. The sequence, and consequently the rest of Episode 1, got me hooked on this series (much like EL's sequence got me interested in that series, and I'm not a fan of horror), and from my perspective if that's what the sequence's function was, then it did its job perfectly. Wink

It gets much better around episode 20. The "compelling, tragic, dramatic" stuff you mentioned is an excellent way to describe how the series progresses from there on. Personally, I'm a little iffy around episode 40-ish, but I think it'll work well with a U.S. audience. Actually, the series is has a pretty high emotional part around episode 9 as well (I think that's where it was).

Great, great series for the most part. Decent to Good art and animation, the music is easily my favorite soundtrack of all anime, and it's a relatively gripping plot (with the exception of the heavy and needless melodrama towards the end), but I can't wait to own those middle eps. I hope Sony decides to release the OSTs stateside along with the DVDs too (Hans Zimmer is The Man Anime hyper).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7