• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anybody else like listening to Drama CDs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me I'm not the only person who has hardly any understanding of the Japanese Language, but highly enjoys listening to Drama CDs for some odd reason.

I really like listening to the BGM and the sound of people's voices. Yeah, go ahead and call me a lunatic if you want to. But Radioplays/Drama CDs seem to be my thing. Like how I also love Firesign Theater.

Also what is your favorite Drama CD series? This can be stuff based on anime, video games, and manga. I would have to say for me that it's Future-Retro Hero Story.

Also explain to me why you like Drama CDs even if you can or cannot understand them. And what are your favorite songs on them if they have any?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Hyena wrote:
Please tell me I'm not the only person who has hardly any understanding of the Japanese Language, but highly enjoys listening to Drama CDs for some odd reason.

You're not alone. I was listening to Slayers and MI drama discs well before I had any real understanding of the language. Of course, you're probably in the extreme minority.

Quote:
Also explain to me why you like Drama CDs even if you can or cannot understand them. And what are your favorite songs on them if they have any?

I enjoyed the sound of the language, and struggled to decypher what, exactly, was going on based on the sounds around the actors and the music. Later, when I got a better understanding of the language, I re-listened to them to figure out just how wrong I was. ;)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:56 am Reply with quote
The FLCL drama cd and OST look very much alike.
It wasn't till later that I noticed.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for answering, I guess I'm in the extreme minority. Wished that wasn't always the case, though. Anybody else out there too?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spewmuffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I purchased Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte Drama CD a while back (two years?) and I didn't realize it was a Drama. I didn't mind it much since I've already watched the anime released by Viz (BTW, title is Please Save My Earth) . If I haven't seen the show, I probably still won't go much about it since most of my video game soundtracks that I bought are of games I haven't played before and I don't mind.

--
SpewMuffin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:42 am Reply with quote
The Eva Drama CD is funny; I can't understand the language, but it ends with an acappella mecha battle; all the sounds and music made with actors' voices.

P.S. Firesign Theatre is the bomb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:09 am Reply with quote
I've never listened to a drama CD, but it sounds like fun. Any recommendations for a newbie? I think I'm gonna check out that Eva one...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed some drama CDs more than others. My first exposure to them was through Fushigi Yuugi, when I realized with dismay that the voice actors for the drama CDs were different than the TV series. I'm more fond of the ones that use the same voice actors, because I like listening to the series voices I'm already familiar with.

Jonathan~
If you would like a more slow exposure to drama CDs, there are quite a few anime soundtracks that mix the two together. They contain your standard soundtrack fare, like themes, BGM, etc, but every other track will be replaced by dialogue tracks, either acting out scenes from the series, or presenting new material. This might be the best way to test whether or not you like drama CDs. If you do, then you'll love these CDs, and if not, then you'll still have the rest of the CD to enjoy. There are quite a few anime series CDs that have drama tracks embedded within the soundtracks, but right off the top of my head, you can check out some (not all of them have dialogue tracks) of the Fushigi Yuugi OVA CDs (not the "collections"), Marmalade Boy, Bakuen Campus Guardress, and Irresponsible Captain Tylor, to name a few.

Another way to get into drama CDs is through some of the older "soundtracks" that are nothing more than an audio version of the movie. The old Gundam 0079 movie soundtracks are an audio recording of the 3 movies, as well as the soundtrack for Grave of the Fireflies.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know of websites with info on drama CDs for non-japanese-speakers? Synopses, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:23 am Reply with quote
Can't seem to find any at the moment for now, as Google gives off alot of links to specific series only.

I'll try when I get back from College.

I'm also trying to work on synopses and etc. on the Future-Retro Hero Story CDs in my spare time, which they can be found at: Outlaw Star.Net's board
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1