• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basilisk Ads

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Is it only me or are any of you tired of seeing the Basilisk ads showing up every other screen you go to here on ANN?

Right now as I'm typing this the ad is running. I actually scrolled the page up, so I don't have to even see it.

This ad for the latest volume has been running for over a week and like I said, it shows up EVERY OTHER screen I turn to. I'm actually tired of seeing "Click here to see them die!"

I realize that the Ads pay the bills but does this one REALLY have to be played that often?
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Just ignore them, they don't make noise and compared to the rest of the site they aren't very flashy. Personally I perfer ANN having adds if it keeps this great site on the net.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I tend to mentally block out the ads anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I couldn't tell you how often or how long that particular had has been popping up.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong. I don't mind seeing ads on ANN. In fact the ads sometimes remind me about titles that I'm interested in. Which is the whole point.

It's just that I'm tired of seeing the Basilisk ad every other ad.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Actually the ad, which I am looking at right now, is for Volume 5, which will be "Available February 20th 2007" I chuckle each time it passes by, especially when I see I already have volume 6 on the shelf.

And I don't think ANN can do anything about it, I think it is actually up to the advertisers to keep their ads up to date and change them. I think Funi is the one that need to start changing up their ads. They used to have a bunch of them up there, I remember the Moon Phase, Solty Rei, and Rumbling Hearts, among others. I don't know if they forgot or accidentally changed all their ads to the one Basilisk one.

So, oh well. If you have Firefox you can get the adblock plug in, which I use for the high falootin ads that are really annoying. Although since the new lay out, I haven't had to use it as much here as there isn't a space for a corner ad where the really bad ones used to be.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
At least update it for an add for volume 6 which is out I believe. The other constant trailer I see, as I look at it right now, is that Burst Angel collection ad. Any way to put new ones up weekly or at least bi-weekly?
s2sari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually mind... usually i don't even see them even though it's there because i'm so use to it. at least it's not a pop up or something now THOSE are annoying
Facade19

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
At least update it for an add for volume 6 which is out I believe. The other constant trailer I see, as I look at it right now, is that Burst Angel collection ad. Any way to put new ones up weekly or at least bi-weekly?

Laughing If it were not for the Burst Angel ad, I would have not purchased my copy. Very Happy
namelissis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
Neeh, it's alright for me...

at least it ain't a stoopeed pop up window which is really annoying...
the only problem is that when you scroll up an u accidentally click it, grr...
(i'm using a laptop that's why i often click it)...

But it would be nice to see a new update weekly?
Don't you think so?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
I don't really notice the ads much, they catch my eye when I see a new one I haven't seen before but otherwise I barely notice they're there. I've even picked up a few anime titles due to the ads on this site, so hey, they work from time to time. They keep the site paid for though and that's the most important factor. The Basilisk one has been playing for quite some time, I'll grant you that, I've noticed that as well but I'm not really tired of it myself because I really just ignore it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monumension

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
You know, I've gotten quite fond of the Basilisk anime now and I suspect it all started with those ads! "Click here to watch them die" sounded so hilariously morbid I simply had to click on the link. I guess that makes me a supporter of the witless consumer culture then... Confused
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
If you have Firefox you can get the adblock plug in, which I use for the high falootin ads that are really annoying

That's what I do when an ad annoys me, I just use Adblock Plus in Firefox to get rid of it. Firefox FTW!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JOINERIC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
What really annoys me is how they are trying to sell it. By the simple catch ad, "WATCH THEM DIE", they are basically saying if you want to see some mindless ninja action then watch this anime. I am a sucker for sumurai/ninja anime and I have seen all of "Basilisk", and while its not the best anime I have ever seen, its not the mindless action thriller they portray it to be. Thats what irks me the most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1