• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sacred Seven Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Spot on review. I didn't think this show was going to be overly serious from the first time I saw the promo art. It looked like it was going to be an over the top action hero show and thats exactly what it is. I've personally been enjoying the hell out of it and find it very entertaining.

I liked how they flip-flopped the opening and closing too.

Oh, and I also like the short shorts. Embarassed
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
If anyone is interested, the (extremely) expensive JP blurays for this series have english subtitles.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
I've been toying with going back to this since the preview - and yes, it was the maid army that turned me off! - and maybe I will. Thanks, Carl!
al505

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I generally like the reviews given here but when you review a streamed show, it would be nice if you (the collective you) mentioned from where it was being streamed. Just saying.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It's streaming on Crunchyroll.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It's also streaming on Hulu.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
From the episode and a half I saw, this series is nothing special, it might be self aware at its own cliches but at the end of the day they are still cliches. Maybe it improves immensely later but considering how deeply embedded the cliches are I doubt it. I can't believe Sunrise looked at the concept of Tiger and Bunny, and Sacred Seven and hyped up Sacred Seven instead of Tiger and Bunny.

I simply can't get into any of Takahiro Kimura's work because he feels the need to give them weird facial expressions in particular Alma's face is constantly in a goofy frown throughout the first episode.j
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The reason we don't list where the show is streaming in these full-length reviews is because these stay on the site, for all intents and purposes, forever, and those streaming contracts are decidedly not "forever". So I'd rather not have a bunch of reviews up that 6 months later have dead or inaccurate links in them.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly enough, Takahiro Kimura's not working on this show. It's more like his fellow animators Yuriko Chiba and Eiji Nakata are trying to replicate his style after working with him on a couple of past projects. The results, as far as I can tell, seem to be rather uneven. I don't care for most of the designs, despite acknowledging the animation quality has consistently remained above average.

Then again, the same thing goes for the characters and even the plot. It's really hard to get excited about any of this. I honestly think Sacred Seven has been slightly to moderately entertaining as far as action goes but otherwise rather predictable and unimpressive. The good parts aren't interesting enough to keep my attention or inspire any debate and the bad parts aren't ridiculous enough to be entertaining in a memorable way. In short, mediocrity seems rather widespread here.

While I'm still behind on watching both this series and Tiger & Bunny, everything I know definitely makes me anticipate catching up with that other show instead of this one.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Surprisingly enough, Takahiro Kimura's not working on this show. It's more like his fellow animators Yuriko Chiba and Eiji Nakata are trying to replicate his style after working with him on a couple of past projects. The results, as far as I can tell, seem to be rather uneven. I don't care for most of the designs, despite acknowledging the animation quality has consistently remained above average.

Wow they really copied his designs then because this does look like Kimura's work. Wish they would try to copy someone who didn't draw his characters with a constant frown.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda struggled with the first two episodes, too, but when they finally started introducing more characters with powers and this ended up not being a "monster of the week" series I became far more interested. I still haven't quite grasped just what his powers are and I still think his dark powers-look is more interesting than his hero look (just had to give him a hero scarf...), but the show had definitely grown on me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I decided to try this just because, and am caught up with the show to this point. My feelings about it go like this: meh...I guess its okay. My likes include the awesome, flashy, battles, the two high school girls who throw themselves at the butler (and his gentlemanly rebuffs to them), the rock "otaku". Is she ever cute! In the beach episode when she is searching for rocks and cooing over them, that was priceless. But the writing for this is mediocre at best. There are lines that seem to have been added in just for the sake of having dialogue when the scene would work fine without. As has been stated, this story is by no means original, but that doesn't bother me half as much as the poor script. Even if the plot is not creative at least make sure it has focus.

And I am with the rest who like Tandoji's "dark stone" mummy form. He is bad ass in that get up, with all the uncontrollable rage. In the first episode when he pounds that monster into the pavement I thought the show might be worth watching. Its not turning out that way though.
al505

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The reason we don't list where the show is streaming in these full-length reviews is because these stay on the site, for all intents and purposes, forever, and those streaming contracts are decidedly not "forever". So I'd rather not have a bunch of reviews up that 6 months later have dead or inaccurate links in them.

Thanks for the reply. I was more interested in from where it was being streamed as opposed to an actual link.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1