• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The very best way to find highest rated NEW anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The feature that would allow visitors to quickly find best rated new anime -- versus just all-time lists, where finding new anime is not necessarily easy -- is not available at ANN yet. But until it is implemented, there is a way to circumvent that.

The following couple of search strings seek for quality projects that were started in the beginning of 2014 Q4:

1) if you search only for the very best with "Masterpiece" and "Excellent" level rating, then use this search:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Vintage%3A+2014-10%22+%22Median+rating%3A+Masterpiece%22+OR+%22Median+rating%3A+Excellent%22+site%3Aanimenewsnetwork.com%2Fencyclopedia%2F

This will never return a lot of results. It is useful for people who do not watch a lot of anime on regular basis, but yet like to see if they have missed new series that got exceptionally great ratings.

For instance, I was not initially impressed by Your Lie in April (TV) at all, but after using this search I now see that I have to watch it.

2) if besides the very best you also tolerate "Very good" projects, use this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22Vintage%3A+2014-10%22+%22Median+rating%3A+Masterpiece%22+OR+%22Median+rating%3A+Excellent%22+OR+%22Median+rating%3A+Very+good%22+site%3Aanimenewsnetwork.com%2Fencyclopedia%2F

This helps to those who watch anime a lot, but obviously can not possibly watch all of new series, and yet do not want to miss quality anime if it turns out ratings are very good.

To search for projects that debuted in different year/quarter than in those examples just update the search string with period in "YYYY-MM" formant -- for example, "2014-07" will find projects from earlier quarter. Or cut the month altogether so you can see all projects for whole year.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that this method never works for current quarter since for many projects there is just not enough votes yet for rating to appear.

Finally, you can search strictly for certain single type of rating you want to. Just leave only one "Median rating: ..." search condition, delete all of additional "OR".
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
or, you could just go here and sort by rating
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/seasons/winter-2015
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I see sort by rating is there, but strangely, I do not see ratings themselves. Kuroko's Baskeball is listed as top rated for this winter, but when I click on it it only gives statistics on how many people plan/want/do not want to watch it, not rating. Maybe I just not used to that site so I simply do not know where to search for rating values there.

There is also no way to select full year (though it is a minor thing).

Anyway, I have asked to make something similar to this here at ANN years ago; not ready yet.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
the rating is the stars. you can either hover over the picture in the season page listing all the show or hover over the stars to get a numerical reading on a show's individual page
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I see now. Totally missed the stars, searched for words and numbers. Wink)
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
To OP,

Yes, Your Lie In April is f**king amazing. Hurry up and watch it. Like right now.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
By the way, the reason why on ANN there are not a lot of votes for current quarter anime, and less votes for all anime in general -- comparing to PlanetAnime -- is because voting in ANN is multi-step process that leaves only people who care more than average to make through. This is why even though ANN is much more popular site than PlanetAnime (by objective metrics), the votes count is lower here.

However, as a positive effect, the average rating here is not so easily hi-jacked by fans of shows that are simply popular, rather than being actually the very best.

For instance, while Kuroko Basketball 3 is the best rated show on PlanetAnime for winter season, there is no way it will be the highest rating anime here at ANN once there will be enough votes for average ratings to appear.

Thus I am glad that voting on ANN is not that easy as on PlanetAnime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1