• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Central 2007 - Funimation Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Videoscan, Funimation has a share of 31% of the US market for Japanese animation releases. Through the same time span, the Dragonball Z season one box set has been the best-selling anime in the United States.

Well it looks like people bought the box even with whole Widescreen issue, I wonder if the second box will be as successful. As for Funimation having a 31% share I am not surprised considering the current releases, it seems like Basilisk, Trinity Blood and Speed Grapher are always sold out at Best Buy, And the LE are nearly impossible to get at B&M.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
It's pretty sad that one of the most poorly planned, ugly looking, edited and negligently handled DVD sets in Anime DVD history is, infact, the highest selling title ever.

I'm officially moved on from it. That's the end for me.
Aleclom

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Why can't they just release DBZ the way it's supposed to be without any of this "ZOMG remastered cropped redubbed" crap? I just want to watch my plain old Japanese DBZ.

Also: WHERE'S ONE PIECE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
Concerning the previous two posts about DBZ: have you guys actually looked at these new boxed sets? They are the series done the correct way, without any of the previous edits and with the subtitled Japanese language track, and Season 2 will even be in widescreen format (not sure if vol. 1 was). This is supposedly going to allow details present at the edges of the screen that have never previously been available - not even in the original Japanese TV broadcasts. And that's in addition to the improved sound and visual quality. If FUNimation is supposed to be doing something else to make this "right," I'd like to know what it is.

And it shouldn't be surprising or sad that this release is selling so well, given that DBZ was the biggest gateway title of the mid-to-late '90s in the States.

Concerning One Piece: It's coming, starting later this year. IIRC, the current plan is to release it in big chunks a few times per year starting this fall. (October, maybe?) It will begin with episode 144 and go through 205, with the earlier episodes to be redone and rereleased later if sales on the first few volumes are good enough to warrant it. (The FUNi rep did say that they'd like to also have the earliest episodes available this fall, too, but that's a matter of whether or not they have enough time to do both.) The DVD version will be completely unedited, with one exception: the name "Zollo" has to stay because of copyright issues in the U.S. that FUNi wasn't able to work around. It will also have the original soundtrack, including the opener and closer. The broadcast version will still have a few edits mandated by the FCC, such as the "lollipops replacing cigarettes" thing, but they will not be in the DVD releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
Back when Funi first announced they were re-releasing Slayers, I heard something about them re-recording a few lines of dialouge or something. Did that turn out to be true? I remember there were a few audio errors on the old CPM release, even the corrected version 2 one.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Okay the Tsubasa & xxxholic movies will be out some time next year. What about the xxxholic series though? Are they going to wait until they've release a certain amount of Tsubasa before they start releasing holic?

I would have thought that they would have released them somewhat together, because (at least in my mind) they complement each other.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Funimation seems to be constantly on the verge of being my favorite distributor out there. They released those gorgeous digipaks lhinpaks only to have a poor video transfer as well. They pick up a surprising title like Rumbling Hearts only to not translate the text at the ending. They remaster Dragon Ball, only to have a big cropping controversy. Overall I still believe in Funimation abd applaud them every time they have one of those nice booklets (like the Fullmetal and digipak ones) or have one of those neat reversible covers. The Solty Rei DVD cover by the way was supposed to be flipped like the first two (not a big deal) but had a little packaging mistake.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning the previous two posts about DBZ: have you guys actually looked at these new boxed sets? They are the series done the correct way, without any of the previous edits and with the subtitled Japanese language track, and Season 2 will even be in widescreen format (not sure if vol. 1 was). This is supposedly going to allow details present at the edges of the screen that have never previously been available - not even in the original Japanese TV broadcasts. And that's in addition to the improved sound and visual quality. If FUNimation is supposed to be doing something else to make this "right," I'd like to know what it is.

And it shouldn't be surprising or sad that this release is selling so well, given that DBZ was the biggest gateway title of the mid-to-late '90s in the States.

I agree having the series be available via boxset uncut is great. The quality is top notch, but DBZ wasn't produced in widescreen. Sure were seeing new things that weren't on the Widescreen edition, but were also losing more picture because of the cut. The price and number of episode is perfect I applaud them for that, because I think that the way you release a boxset. As for it selling so well, after the internet imploded with anger over the widescreen I figured it wouldn't sell as well. But to the casual fan what do they care, they see widescreen and that is cool. Otherwise I love all my DVDs from funimation there work on the Gonzo series has been quite impression the LE's and the Artboxes have been amazing.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning One Piece: It's coming, starting later this year. IIRC, the current plan is to release it in big chunks a few times per year starting this fall. (October, maybe?) It will begin with episode 144 and go through 205, with the earlier episodes to be redone and rereleased later if sales on the first few volumes are good enough to warrant it. (The FUNi rep did say that they'd like to also have the earliest episodes available this fall, too, but that's a matter of whether or not they have enough time to do both.) The DVD version will be completely unedited, with one exception: the name "Zollo" has to stay because of copyright issues in the U.S. that FUNi wasn't able to work around. It will also have the original soundtrack, including the opener and closer. The broadcast version will still have a few edits mandated by the FCC, such as the "lollipops replacing cigarettes" thing, but they will not be in the DVD releases.

Wait, so they're definitely having the first DVD at episode 144, and release the earlier episodes if the sales are good enough? That's too bad.
Nermal

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
woohoo! I am sooo looking forward to School Rumble Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Back when Funi first announced they were re-releasing Slayers, I heard something about them re-recording a few lines of dialouge or something. Did that turn out to be true? I remember there were a few audio errors on the old CPM release, even the corrected version 2 one.

Supposedly those are going to be resolved for the upcoming release, although I don't recall hearing details on how.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's finally nice to have some concrete info on School Rumble's first release. I was kinda hoping that the series would have a similar amount extras compared to Funi's release of Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, though I suspect Kadokawa USA had more say over what the latter series received than Funi did. 6 eps. on the first DVD is definately nice, though (according to the release info included with vol 4 of FMP! TSR).
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
You know... it just occured to me:

Did anyone bother asking about what the hell's gonna happen to Kodocha?

Is FUNi really gonna ditch the show?

Yeah... I think they are...

Wow, that's lame.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems like the second half of Kodocha won't be released, but it would be nice to at least hear something from them about it.

Key wrote:

Since DBZ wasn't made for widescreen, the only way to make it 'widescreen' is to cut off part of the top and/or bottom. They cut more off than they added and most or all of what was added was made just to be cut out anyway. In addition, the 'remastering' was poorly done. I don't have any of the comparison pictures with me but there is a huge thread on it on the AoD forums with all the information you could possibly want.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
You know... it just occured to me:

Did anyone bother asking about what the hell's gonna happen to Kodocha?

Is FUNi really gonna ditch the show?

Yeah... I think they are...

Wow, that's lame.

Wait...why would they ditch Kodocha? Did they hint at it or something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3