• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Bobby's In Deep

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
sounds like a great movie. i hope to see ti someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen the film yet, but I have watched the Koji Morimoto sequence many, many, many times; it has to be one of the most impressive feats of animation I've ever seen. Everybody who's curious should head over to catsuka.com to check it out.

I look forward to the fan restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favourites too, a truly exceptional piece of work.

Some of the animation sequences are out of this world, the 80's sure knew how to capture fluid motion in the most realisitc fashion possible.

I look forward to Anime Classic's release i just hope it's not too far away.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
I actually saw Bobby's Girl at a panel that Jan Scott Frazier held at Anime Weekend Atlanta a few years ago. I was so taken aback by the short that I insisted she send me her copy so I could make a copy of it. Apparently she worked for years to find a copy so it was a no go, and so I had to find my own. Luckily I found a website that was selling an old used VHS of it, and I quickly picked it up. Pretty much everything Sevakis said was accurate; it's a short that everyone should see since it is so beautiful, and that final three minutes is jaw dropping. Although that doesn't take into account the wide array of media that the short used including traditional animation, lots of very 80's airbrushing, and colored pencils among others. It's a shame that Bobby's voice actors is so bad. I guess it's a good thing the kid doesn't talk too much. Smile

I was so impressed with the short that I made one of the biggest blunders of my anime fandom life. I did some favors for a Japanese classmate of mine in exchange for him helping me translate part of it since I was intending on doing my own fansub. That's an awful thing to do to someone, and I hope no one ever does it, but I guess this short sort of had that effect on me. We only got about half of it done and, rightfully so, he never brought it up again, but that's the sort of lengths I went.

Oh, and as a final note, the very ending song, sung entirely in English, is one of the weirdest songs I've heard in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rag

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
WOW, never heard about this movie. but being a ancient anime freak, I would love to see a re-release of this. Or perhaps a low quality fansub of it to please out hunger :p.

By the way, thanks for the link, I already knew about it, but the last time I was there a lot of stuff was down and subsequently I forgot completely to check it afterwards.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Man, this sounds cool. I'd love to see this.
nausicaa33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
A fansub of this film has just beeen released by the To-Y Restoration Committee!
rag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! Thanks to the fansubs guys that released this, it is friggin great.

Reading the review again and watching the film one can tell that the review is quite accurate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1