• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Anime, Anime, Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenshin77

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought Suzuka manga had a little Too much Fanservice, but I read Vol.2 recently and it got really interesting especially in the end of vol.2. I Think you should try reading it again.
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I just saw Linda Linda Linda at Fanime, and I absolutely adored it. I've had the soundtrack on repeat since I saw it, and it was just...such a great, heartfelt, wonderful movie. I may just have to buy the movie at Anime Expo.

Interestingly enough, the concert in episode 12 of Haruhi is based off the concert at the end of Linda Linda Linda.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Suzuka is probably one of the best romance/drama properties that exists in a very well-defined genre. What I mean is, Suzuka isn't going to offer anything new, but it excels in telling a good story using traits of the genre. Likeable characters, fantastic dub, and absurdly excellent pacing are huge ++'s for the anime.

But I'm reminded of a favorite quote of mine.... "There's no such thing as too much Fanservice" Razz
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
A few things I'd like to note about this wonderful edition of the shelf life.

Bamboo wrote:
The first was a jaywalking ticket for $97. The second was given to me today, at the airport. Yes, I got a traffic citation at an airport. I am in a very, very bad mood.

Beware in LA/Long Beach the cops seem to love to give tickets for any reason, they don't have anything to do and giving people chicken crap tickets is how they fill their days.

Bamboo wrote:
It's almost as though you could watch members of Parliament discussing a new law, have a few zombies stroll through, and it would be completely believable as a historical account.

The show is that good.

Production I.G. really has done a great job with creating their own story and adding their own little elements while seamlessly blending it in with the historical accounts. It's quite an accomplishment, and I wasn't sure if I.G. could actually do it considering the all the different characters that eventually do become a part of this story.

Bamboo wrote:
Le Chevalier D'Eon is one of the best darned anime shows to come out this year. Nay—it's one of the best anime shows to come out, period.

It's certainly the best release this year even with Bandai Visual releasing all those other titles. I just hope more folks are checking out this title seeing as how Best Buy had the first volume for $10 a while back.

Great article as always, the shelf obsessed portion was quite impressive to say the least.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I feel absoultely pathetic after looking at that collection, I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it. I know that this has been asked before but has anyone seen a collection that is larger than the one shown here?

Hmmm... I'd want an actual disc count before I'd swear to it, but I think I have him beat. I see empty spaces on his shelves, and boxes displayed with the wide side out. It's a LOT of DVDs, but I'm not sure it's bigger then mine. And unless there's more manga hidden somewhere I can't see in those pictures, I've definitely got him beat there. I really need to clean up enough to make my collection properly photogenic...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The Diagrams were awesome, thanks for that. lol.

I have yet to pick up any more of Chevalier- its not the shows fault just money woes.

Oh ok good- those all aren't dvd pics. Be careful with those stacked boxest- they look a bit unstable.

Why did tenchi cost $800? Just...someone tell me why. Did Tenchi himself come with it?

Looking at this makes me realize how cool it would be to thin-pak some of my dvds. if I can ever find a shelf with three blocks across like your i'd surely do that.

Surely this person buys their dvds when they're on some type of sale and not outright.

LightYagami wrote:
I would only hope that the owner of it has on massive insurance policy on all of it.

You can do that? <---is a 20 year old kid who doesn't really know about insurance or anything. Her parents take care of it. Embarassed

CrazyCanuck wrote:
And unless there's more manga hidden somewhere I can't see in those pictures, I've definitely got him beat there. I really need to clean up enough to make my collection properly photogenic...

I know for me I buy 10 or 20 volumes of manga at a time when I can find the $5 manga guy at Comic Con- so manga is the only place I could probably beat him. But alas- like you my shelves are...not so neat.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
A few things I'd like to note about this wonderful edition of the shelf life.

Bamboo wrote:
The first was a jaywalking ticket for $97. The second was given to me today, at the airport. Yes, I got a traffic citation at an airport. I am in a very, very bad mood.

Beware in LA/Long Beach the cops seem to love to give tickets for any reason, they don't have anything to do and giving people chicken crap tickets is how they fill their days.

;___; Apparently. They're making me go to court for it. Really, any violation in which you can get pulled over by a guy on a bike-- is ultimately going to be ridiculous.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Icepicks collection. HO. LY. CRAP! Shocked
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Good lord...and I thought my collection was big. This is one hell of a back hand to my ego.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I really don't have anything to add. But I would like to say it was a really good read, and Shelf Life is awesome. Always look forward to it.

Oh and sorry for the bike cops Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop We have those in our city too, longside golf cart cops. So I can relate to your pain. It is an easy situation to make fun of, but truth is they can hide in places where you least expect them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked Suzuka's tagline of “Love is not a spectator sport.” It's pretty true in that too many people just wait for love to happen without realizing they have to put some effort into it themselves. Plus it fits well with the theme of the series. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
;___; Apparently. They're making me go to court for it. Really, any violation in which you can get pulled over by a guy on a bike-- is ultimately going to be ridiculous.

At least he didn't handcuff you and put you in the basket and haul you off to jail.

Nebs wrote:
I actually liked Suzuka's tagline of “Love is not a spectator sport.” It's pretty true in that too many people just wait for love to happen without realizing they have to put some effort into it themselves.

Well are you saying that Disney is lying? According to them I am going to fall in love with a beautiful princess without leaving the house. In fact women are actually going to come to my house and beg me to marry them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm a little sad that it'll be in Long Beach this year, since I've grown to really love the Anaheim location, but there'll be a certain charm in seeing Sailor Moons and Yunas dart about in the ghetto.

Um, you're a little confused, there, Bamboo. It's Anaheim which is the ghetto, especially when you consider the room where they had the dance last year. Rolling Eyes

Also, Linda Linda Linda is ok, but not really that great, unless you want to see some boring and (occasionally) unlikely teen subplots.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I'm a little sad that it'll be in Long Beach this year, since I've grown to really love the Anaheim location, but there'll be a certain charm in seeing Sailor Moons and Yunas dart about in the ghetto.

Um, you're a little confused, there, Bamboo. It's Anaheim which is the ghetto, especially when you consider the room where they had the dance last year. Rolling Eyes

Are you a little lost GATSU? Anaheim with Disneyland, the Angels, and the Stanley Cup Champion Ducks is much better place then the long beach bum center.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5