• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lildude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
It's fucked up shit like this that ruins it for the rest of us, now Adult Swim may start to think twice about it's airing later this month.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Belgium has the death penalty, but I'd say something like that is definitely worth it. Shocked
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
lildude wrote:
It's fucked up shit like this that ruins it for the rest of us, now Adult Swim may start to think twice about it's airing later this month.

Sheesh... Makes me glad I watched the fansubs they way they cancel stuff when things like this happens...
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
This is disgusting. Who were these victims that such a person would believe he had the right to "pass judgement" on then or what?

I'm appalled that someone would disgrace Death Note like this, but I'm far more appalled at the fact that someone would actually think that Light and Kira's ideals have any worth at all. I'm usually not one to "blame the media" for twisting people and their ideas, but I will venture out to say that although this individual probably started out as twisted, I think this series made an impact on him and influenced his decision to carry out this horrendous deed. Of course, I feel that one of the messages of Death Note is that Kira's way IS wrong, but having such a protagonist and all the discussion in the series about the ambiguity of morality can certainly influence someone to misinterpret this message and to think that Kira's way is worth standing up for anyway. And I say this as someone who absolutely loves Death Note and would hate for it to get any media controversy at all.

I'm sick to my stomach.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
You know what this means:

We have to make sure that the Death Note manga and anime does not show in the US or anywhere else because for sure the anime/manga is responsible for destroying the fragile mind of the killer, and it's not the responsibility of the killer at all.

****Sorry for the sarcasm, the pre-emption of an anime and the lolicon debate is still getting me upset****

Finally, we have a popular series that everyone likes and now for sure others will be convinced that the anime/manga is not to be blamed; It was always shows that were not mainstream and people can easily blame the series an wouldn't care, but now that it's DeathNote, a popular series, I wonder how those who have been blaming the anime/manga will react.

Sorry for acting like a jerk, but I'm just bathing in this poetic justice Smile

Last edited by ichiro3923 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:

We have to make sure that the Death Note manga and anime does not show in the US or anywhere else because for sure the anime/manga is responsible for destroying the fragile mind of the killer, and it's not the responsibility of the killer at all.

No, dude, I totally agree with you. It's the killer's fault and definitely not the manga's. The problem is, while the manga probably doesn't have any effect on sane, stable-minded adults, it CAN influence those who are too young or already too mentally unstable to know the difference between fiction and reality. And it would be wrong to force people to be able to pass a mental health test in order to purchase a volume of manga (and those things are hella subjective anyway). It would also be wrong to forbid sane, stable-minded adults from purchasing this material. It looks like the only route left (both ethically and logically/logistically) for society is to allow the perpetuation of Death Note and related materials to continue, at the possible risk that some absolutely deranged lunatic will act on his distorted interpretations of what he's read. Which is tragic, and what happened in this instance.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Quote:
near

Quote:
Death Note

Oh ho, subtle message?

Anyway, this is a horrible travesty. I mean, "dess"? There's nothing worse than misspelling.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
ichiro3923 wrote:

No, dude, I totally agree with you. It's the killer's fault and definitely not the manga's. The problem is, while the manga probably doesn't have any effect on sane, stable-minded adults, it CAN influence those who are too young or already too mentally unstable to know the difference between fiction and reality. And it would be wrong to force people to be able to pass a mental health test in order to purchase a volume of manga (and those things are hella subjective anyway). It would also be wrong to forbid sane, stable-minded adults from purchasing this material. It looks like the only route left (both ethically and logically/logistically) for society is to allow the perpetuation of Death Note and related materials to continue, at the possible risk that some absolutely deranged lunatic will act on his distorted interpretations of what he's read. Which is tragic, and what happened in this instance.

I've been trying to get that point across in previous threads: Why is one person suddenly accountable for the general public, and therefore the rest of the people have to suffer. I guess sometimes we have to take extreme yet unreasonable measures to protect the public. I have not been a fan of that kind of mentality.

I will say no more about this specific issue until others who disagree with me post here to defend their side of the story

NOTE: I really did not want my post to sound like an attack on certain people
quartears

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
this is almost funny...... not that people dying is funny, but Death Note...
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I'm usually not one to "blame the media" for twisting people and their ideas, but I will venture out to say that although this individual probably started out as twisted, I think this series made an impact on him and influenced his decision to carry out this horrendous deed. Of course, I feel that one of the messages of Death Note is that Kira's way IS wrong, but having such a protagonist and all the discussion in the series about the ambiguity of morality can certainly influence someone to misinterpret this message and to think that Kira's way is worth standing up for anyway.

The Beatles' White Album impacted and influenced Charles Manson.
Taxi Driver with Jodie Foster impacted and influenced John Hinckley, Jr.
The Bible impacted and influenced David Koresh.
The Pali Canon impacted and influenced Shoko Asahara.

Books, music, and movies are all about ideas. However, these ideas are nothing without action. Misinterpretation is not the ideas' fault.

Judgement is left to the people or the individual. No piece of entertainment or non-fiction can rob them of that.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Books, music, and movies are all about ideas. However, these ideas are nothing without action. Misinterpretation is not the ideas' fault.

Judgement is left to the people or the individual. No piece of entertainment or non-fiction can rob them of that.

"Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?" -Andy Warhol.

... Of course, there's always the extreme example of art and ideas that actually INSTRUCT individuals to take certain actions. But that's a whole 'nother issue, so let's not go into it ^^.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is on foreign soil, so I don't think it's going to affect Adult Swim that much (I hope)

However, Death Note is a title ripe for copy-catting (? That's not eve a word, is it?) The title appeals to a lot of teens who do have a warped sense of justice (inexperienced may be a better term-idealistic?) I've seen several teens agree with Kira & think he's right (I think I'd be dead under that flunkie's rule-Mikami, was it?). I also think the story is more a "don't mess with things man isn't meant to mess with" (Thinking Claude Raines Invisible Man) If one reads the rules, it's very obvious humans who mess with the Death Note are damned in some way-they don't escape scott free. The utopia presented may seem wonderful, but really isn't--more a hell on earth rife with opportunity to snitch on one's neighbors (paranoia city really).
Kira is presented as very much a spoiled brat--part of the profile was that he was a young adult with a heightened sense of justice than the average adult would have. Those mental temper tantrums, his ability to smile at those co-workers he planned to kill someday, Kira wasn't a hero. Death Note is very much about one's actions damning one
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Between the ax murder that cause Higurashi Kai preempted and this new situation. You can not say that TV do not affect real life choices. Some people can not not determine what is fiction and what is real. To just says that these people is ruining for the fans is immature. These people have real life mental issues that should be take lightly. The brain is a very complex thing that we can not infer that TV or any media do not puts thoughts that cause radical thinking.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

"Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?" -Andy Warhol.

If life imitates a misinterpretation of art, that's life's problem, not art.

Quote:
... Of course, there's always the extreme example of art and ideas that actually INSTRUCT individuals to take certain actions. But that's a whole 'nother issue, so let's not go into it ^^.

At least two of the examples above do that. (Figuring which ones will be left as an exercise for the reader.) But few were decrying those two when the respective crimes were committed with their misinterpretation.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's messed up... But I don't think it's going to have any effect on it's AS airing. Even with the Higu-Kai preemption only 2/5 stations did it, and that was on their soil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7