• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Evangelion Films to Get PC Browser Game in 2012

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
So,we're going to get some "Evangelion" games,I see. I don't know how anyone else will feel about this but I've got to ask this question. How long will it be before someone in Japan gets the idea to do a "Neon Genesis Evangelion:USA" manga? I wouldn't be surprised about some doing that. Basically,it's "Neon Genesis Evangelion" but set in the United States with the "American" counterparts of the team in Japan.
There'll probably be someone named Sidney Isley or something like that. There'll also probably be a Japanese person or Japanese-American to remind us that this is Japanese. There'll also be a German immigrant named Anna Langley. What do you guys think?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I think that I'm getting really tired of you posting about the same concept over and over.

I'm not sure how well you know the Eva franchise, but the USA doesn't exactly have the best record when it comes to maintaining Eva units. They tend to have accidents where the entire American branch of NERV gets obliterated.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised about some doing that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's fanfiction about it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say to Megiddo that I'm sorry that my "Neon Genesis Evangelion:USA" manga concept annoys him so much. Again,it's a hypothetical concept. I just thought that,for some reason,"Evangelion" is popular over here and there's been a flood of games and other stuff related to this franchise,that I thought that someone in Japan would get the idea to do something like this to appeal to "Evangelion's" American fans.
I was hoping to get a response from fans of the franchise to gauge how they would feel about something like that. I certainly didn't mean to be annoying. I just wanted to know how "EVA" fans here might feel about something like that. I was just wondering,would it be a good idea or a shameless attempt to appeal to American fans of this franchise? I don't know but once again,I sorry for having annoyed you.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not that your concept annoys me. It's that if I look at your post history it's pretty darn clear that practically everything is either about taking a Japanese property and creating a spinoff from said property and placing it in America or some debate over whether or not some anime harbor anti-American feelings.

You obviously have the faculties to post about more than just that. If that's honestly the only thing you want to discuss, then all I ask is that you keep it contained to either threads you make or where such a discussion is already taking place. I'd love to hear more about what you have to say as an anime fan about a wide range of topics, but having read quite a few 'What if we take X anime and place it in the USA' it is annoying.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry folks. I'm sure we'll get Evangelion 3.0 when Half Life 2 Episode 3 gets released.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
@Romuska
Evangelion 3.0 is set for Fall 2012. It might get pushed back but there is no reason to compare it to HL Episode 3.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Well,Megiddo seems to be surprised that I would be fascinated by how America is portrayed in anime and manga. Well,I'll tell you a little story,Megiddo. Years ago,I watched an anime called "Gunsmith Cats." I liked it. I even went to read a review on this website and it said that in some ways,it's like seeing how our pop culture is viewed from a foreign perspective.
Ever since then,I've read with interest the different portrayals of this country and it's people in anime and manga. I even hope that someday,someone would write a book the topic. It's a book I'd certainly buy. I've found that the depictions of this country are a mixed bag. Some of the portrayals are positive,some are negative,and some are just so bizarre that they can be considered unbelievable by anyone who's spent any time here. I tend to avoid the negative portrayals as much as I can.

I don't know how many other people share my fascination. Maybe it's just me,I don't know. What I do know that,it something I've been interested in for a long time now. That's my interest. I wonder how you feel about it?
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Um, guys this is supposed to be a thread for discussing how we
feel about the news of the new evangelion games. This isn't the
place to discuss our thoughts on the portrayal of America in anime.

I personally am just interested in seeing if the new games come
to America or not.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Don't worry folks. I'm sure we'll get Evangelion 3.0 when Half Life 2 Episode 3 gets released.

Well I think it will be a LITTLE earlier than that.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Well if it's a PC game, it means I'll actually be able to play it! Very Happy (assuming I'd be able to get my hands on it...)

It sounds kind of neat, though I'm reserving my judgement 'til after we get more info on the game Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1