• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Loups-Garous Film's Dub Cast Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film's main English dub cast includes:

Melissa Davis as Makino Haduki
Corey Hartzog as Ayumi Kono
Hilary Haag as Mio Tsuduki
Luci Christian as Rei Myao
Serena Varghese as Yuko Yabe
Andy McAvin as Riichiro Ishida
David Matranga as Toji Kunugi
Shelley Calene-Black as Shizue Fuwa
Round up the usual suspects... I don't know what I'd do if I weren't a fan of these actors. I guess I couldn't watch any Sentai dubs as these veterans are in everything. I'm surprised that they didn't call upon the talents of Swasey/Shepherd/Love to fill in for Hartzog. Come to think of it, it's strange not seeing Andrew Love in the main cast. I've become a fan of "the better Chris Sabat" lol.

I wish Douglas were still on the Sentai roster, but times change. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
A pretty redoubtable cast, with a few of my favorites too. I worry more about the production quality than the quality of the cast. Nearly every review of a Sentia English dub that I've read recently has complained of various faults of a sort that I thought the industry had matured past.

I'm not sure what to make of Loups Garou. It has a vague whiff of appealing strangeness, but is so little talked about otherwise that I'm suspicious.

Quote:
Steven Foster is directing the dub

Oh, no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Quote:

Oh, no.
Hey, now. Steven Foster is perfectly capable of directing a f**king great dub. Surprised

When he's in the mood. Mad And, ya know, has a good cast/script/etc. to work with.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Quote:

Oh, no.
Hey, now. Steven Foster is perfectly capable of directing a f**king great dub. Surprised

When he's in the mood. Mad And, ya know, has a good cast/script/etc. to work with.

Oh, I know, I know. I watched Le Chevalier D'Eon last month and found the English doubt to be very satisfactory, but in recent memory, well... this.

Of course, he reportedly did well on Mardock Scramble: The First Combustion, so maybe it's random chance.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I already knew that you would link to that Guin Saga vid, and I've already seen that vid at least 10 times in the past month.

And I'm fully convinced he just threw his hands up in the air and said, "Hey, guys; I've got an idea! Let's f**k this shit up!" when making part 2.

But that doesn't make it any less hilarious. Laughing

LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE

By the way, URLfail. Laughing
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Stephen Foster is the Philosophers' Stone of dubbing. Scratch that, he's better than the Philosophers' Stone for the stone reaches its limits turning dross (D'Eon, Mardock) into gold, but Stephen Foster can turn pure crap (see Ghost Stories) into solid gold.

My theory is that the man is overtaxed (he directs so much these days), is constantly given lame shows to work with as of late, and most importantly has his talent gimped by backlash from the fan community. He held back on Angel Beats!, and the dub suffered. That was a weak show that could have been the new Ghost Stories, but instead it ended up with a prosaic dub that was nearly a verbatim read of the subs (cry). Occasionally Foster would change something, and a faint ray of hope shone down from the heavens on my blu-ray boxset, but then Foster would be forced back into toeing the tragically boring line of reading the subs.
Quote:

Oh, I know, I know. I watched Le Chevalier D'Eon last month and found the English doubt to be very satisfactory, but in recent memory, well... [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmEESOXQJso]this[/i].
I actually had not seen that as from watching the Japanese subs way back when I already knew that Guin Saga was an illogical pile of crap, so I stayed away from the dub. Thanks for posting that as it is freaking hilarious! Foster still has it, as if there were any doubts.
Quote:
And I'm fully convinced he just threw his hands up in the air and said, "Hey, guys; I've got an idea! Let's f**k this shit up!" when making part 2.
+1 on this, it's not as though Guin Saga was any good to begin with Very Happy

So how was this Loups-Garous film anyhow? I own Mardock Scramble, and it was hilariously bad. The dub was well done, and the dub plays it reasonably straight, which makes it even funnier. I was ROFLing. I know nothing about this new show, but if it is decent it sounds like something worth picking up on the fall/winter con circuit.

Now I'm going to go ROFL at that Guin Saga clip again, if you'll excuse me Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

So how was this Loups-Garous film anyhow? I own Mardock Scramble, and it was hilariously bad.

I think YMMV. I found that it wasn't quite as described. Also in a few places it was a little creepy, but it didn't quite reach the level necessary for a murder-mystery with horror elements. I found the tone was pretty off. It sort of wants to turn into a typical anime about the power of friendship, but it doesn't jive well with some of the violence and other elements. It felt like somebody got scared of making a movie that was too dark and decided to force inject some happy anime tropes to lighten the mood. I was overall disappointed, because I heard the novel was well liked.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
So how was this Loups-Garous film anyhow? I own Mardock Scramble, and it was hilariously bad. The dub was well done, and the dub plays it reasonably straight, which makes it even funnier. I was ROFLing. I know nothing about this new show, but if it is decent it sounds like something worth picking up on the fall/winter con circuit.

Loups-Garous is a sci fi movie which makes an interesting mix of some standard sci fi concepts - i.e. Big Brother and the way that online VR communication can contribute to social dysfunction - and mixes them with psychological dysfunction against a backdrop of a series of murders. Go in expecting pronounced supernatural elements and you may be disappointed, as the title is more figurative than literal. (Think Jin-Roh.)

And yes, Steven Foster is incredibly hit-or-miss as a director, even recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
but Stephen Foster can turn pure crap (see Ghost Stories) into solid gold.

the ghost stories dub was good for the first 6 episodes. he made a terminally boring show interesting. but after that, it turned into nothing more than a long and increasingly vulgar blooper reel. if that's your thing, i can understand why you liked it. but if you actually wanted to know what was going on in the show, good luck. we don't need a new ghost stories - one abomination was enough.

occasionally he gets lucky, and one of his changes fits, and can actually make a show. sadly, most of the time steven foster's changes are completely awkward and out of place, and take me right out of the story.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
I love Luci, but hasn't she been in every Funi/Sentai anime since like 2007 Wink
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
the ghost stories dub was good for the first 6 episodes. he made a terminally boring show interesting. but after that, it turned into nothing more than a long and increasingly vulgar blooper reel. if that's your thing, i can understand why you liked it. but if you actually wanted to know what was going on in the show, good luck. we don't need a new ghost stories - one abomination was enough.

occasionally he gets lucky, and one of his changes fits, and can actually make a show. sadly, most of the time steven foster's changes are completely awkward and out of place, and take me right out of the story.
But that's the thing--it's not as though Steven Foster always makes radical changes in dubs like that, because he doesn't. When I said he's perfectly capable of making great dubs, I was referring to certain times when he doesn't mess around with the material. But again, like I said, a good director isn't solely responsible for any dub's quality; well-written scripts, great actors, and such are all important factors.

I've never seen Ghost Stories, though, but--from what I've heard about that--there are even times where he does f**k around with it that turn out well.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
I see to names on that list that i like as voice actors in anything! so yea! also the show is good in sub format as is anyway.

just my thoughts.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
My theory is that the man is overtaxed (he directs so much these days), is constantly given lame shows to work with as of late, and most importantly has his talent gimped by backlash from the fan community. He held back on Angel Beats!, and the dub suffered. That was a weak show that could have been the new Ghost Stories, but instead it ended up with a prosaic dub that was nearly a verbatim read of the subs (cry).

Uhg, personally I'm not too torn up inside that Angel Beats! didn't have the characters throwing homophobic slurs at each other all the time and making weak jokes during the serious scenes. :I

On other subjects, I think it's cool how there have been a bunch of anime films based on sci-fi novels lately. It kind of reminds me of the early 80s and the film versions of Crusher Joe or everything-written-by-Hideyuki-Kikuchi-ever. I hope the trend keeps up!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Not a lot of people I recognize, but Sentai has provided some stellar dubs so far imho, so I'm very excited for this movie.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uhg, personally I'm not too torn up inside that Angel Beats! didn't have the characters throwing homophobic slurs at each other all the time and making weak jokes during the serious scenes. :I

Serious scenes? The original Ghost Stories, that being the Japanese version, was illogical schlock that is so crudely crafted that I have difficulty believing that it was ever meant to be taken seriously. On that, I'll assume that you mean the infamous mother at the hospital scene, so I'll throw in that Foster/Auten's "pull my finger" line was hilarious. The story was largely episodic, and what little overarching plot that existed was paper-thin. The original version even radically changed characters to suit the needs of the ending, instantly going against 20+ episodes of character development just because they needed a cheap way to end the series, a cop-out that has long been referred to as a Deus Ex Machina. (Trying to avoid "spoilers", but in case I'm being too vague, that last bit is about the cat becoming the savior at the very end.)

Oh, and we can't forget the genuinely creepy elementary school-girl panty shots that the Japanese put in the show to try and use pandering (or to a non-loli such as myself, offensive) fanservice to get viewers to overlook the glaring flaws in the show.

The Stephen Foster dub had more continuity between episodes, and still managed to tell the same "story" that the Japanese version had while constantly poking fun at the horrendous structure of the original Japanese show. In the dub, Rob Mungle even laments that his character (the cat) goes against his character development at the last minute, and he does so in a hilarious manner.

(Speaking of Rob Mungle, at the very end of the series he thanks Steven Foster for making a gay-friendly script Wink )

On this movie, I hope that it takes the time to fully flesh out its characters, technologies, and conflicts. So many J-movies fail to do this, and it irks me. Most of the ones I've seen try to cram too much in and go in depth on too little. Breadth doesn't beat depth in movies IMO.
Quote:
But that's the thing--it's not as though Steven Foster always makes radical changes in dubs like that, because he doesn't.
Exactly. Gilgamesh and Le Chevalier D'Eon. They might not be the greatest shows, and they sadly don't appeal to everyone, but they both have excellent dubs. (And as they're from ADV during its prime, the original dvds are loaded with awesome extras Very Happy)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2