• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
True Tears.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Courbet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
True Tears

Hi, my first post here on ANN, but I have been browsing the site and the forums for the past couple months.

Recently there I have been engrossed by two new series currently airing, Spice + Wolf and True Tears, and as I was unable to find a discussion thread for the latter I thought I would create one.

I have always enjoyed a bit of romance in my anime (part of the reason I rate RahXephon slightly over Eva) but not since Suzuka and Koi Kaze have I needed to watch the next episode so badly!

What really drew me in is that the character designs are nice (no humongous eyes or tinky mouths!) and all the main protagonists are quite likeable characters albeit spoiler[ the mother ] which in itself is quite interesting.

Anyway I am not going chatter on in much more detail right now apart from saying that Isurugi Noe is my fav char so far probably because she reminds me of a girl I used to know Smile

Go on give this series a try!
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
I was actually going to make a thread for this sometime soon since I found this along with Spice and Wolf (I've ranking Wolf to be slightly better atm) to be the standout shows of this Winter season.

Now to get some discussion going I'll paste some episode 6 thoughts of mine into here.

spoiler[At nearly the halfway point here is how things stand, as I see them anyway..

Aiko clearly has feelings for Shin but hasn't been able to tell him, to further mess things up she got into a relationship with Shin's best friend. It looks like she was able to stand the current situation but hearing "progress" reports from Nobuse about Hiromi and Shin, as well as this new girl Noe has clearly made her had enough.

Noe doesn't really know how she feels about Shin atm and even offered to help him get back together with Hiromi. She seems to be more interested in making him "fly" than going out with, though her big brother who knows more about her than she does disagrees..

Hiromi seems to have liked Shin for a long time yet after that revelation from Shin's mother she buried her feelings as well as becoming distant from him. Of course once she sees Shin with Noe it seems she's unable to keep those feelings in check and started to open up to Shin again.

Now with Shin he's clearly crushing hard on Hiromi, is just friends with Aiko and is um.. an acquaintance with Noe... lol. Now when I see the brake down like that how the hell do you stretch the show out for another 7 episodes and keep people guessing?

Hiromi "Should I tell you something incredible? My birthday is later, so you would be the big brother."

^ That's how.

Now onto the meat of things with Hiromi and Shin being related. Personally I don't buy it.. At first I thought the chances of them being related were very high but at around the 4th episode mark I thought they were making it too obvious. It's also been revealed too early in the show to end up being true imo. Now I hate using other shows to cite examples but for anyone who has seen Myself;Yourself think about the Love Hotel and House burning incidents and how the obvious candidates were not it. I feel that they are trying to throw a curve ball here as well to stop people from just straight up assuming it's going to be Shin X Hiromi.

Now to actually use stuff from the show, did you notice the expression on Shin's mother when Hiromi brought it up? Not only that but she said "You remember that conversation?". Um you told her a year ago that her father isn't her father and yet you're actually shocked that she remembers it... wtf.. That just doesn't make any sense, of course anyone would remember if if they were told that yet she's shocked and clearly surprised.

So to sum it up as too why I think it's not true. Too obvious, too early and Shin's mother being shocked/surprised she remembered that conversation.]
Courbet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
Westlo, what can I say, my thoughts exactly! Pretty awesome and concise summary of the series so far Very Happy

And yes, I agree with your assessment at the end, but despite that I think it will be interesting to see how things pan out - at least the fansubbers are on the ball with this and S&W, only a day or so wait, unlike Rosario (cough - cough).

I was quite shocked by the first episode that spoiler[ one of the main characters died, even though he is always shown in the ending - I speak about Raigomaru of course haha - poor fella! ]

Also spoiler[ if Nobuse hasn't figured out yet that Aiko went out with him merely to make Shin happy he certainly has by the end of episode 6. You can really tell that Aiko hates herself for making the wrong decision to begin with and just cannot bear pretending to like Nobuse when in reality she wants to go out with Shin ]
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
Well I'm not in episode 6 yet, but I marathoned the first 5 episodes and MAN do I love it! I can't wait to continue.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
Courbet wrote:
Also spoiler[ if Nobuse hasn't figured out yet that Aiko went out with him merely to make Shin happy he certainly has by the end of episode 6. You can really tell that Aiko hates herself for making the wrong decision to begin with and just cannot bear pretending to like Nobuse when in reality she wants to go out with Shin ]

The part of Nobuse buying a sweater was a good part on episode six, spoiler[Aiko has less concerned on Nobuse, I felt sorry for him somehow. Mistakes hit on Aiko, Aiko talked about her on how she picked and bought her sweater to Nobuse and he felt stupid that time, why would Aiko try to tell those things out of Nobuse, I think it was a frustration brought by Aiko, when Nobuse was trying to buy a sweater and she doesn't feel it and Nobuse was totally helpless saying "What's that suppose to mean?" to Aiko]. Confusing and rather hard for Nobuse, poor guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

I agree with you on that, there's a True Tears discussion thread that got made here yesterday so don't forget to post in it. I'll be hitting that thread with 500-1000 word long posts every week with how I think things are going. Maybe I'm getting sick of the Key formula but I'm loving stuff like Ef and True Tears a lot more than Clannad atm.

Anyways sorry for asking but what is Key? I know it has something to do with the shows like Clannad, or Kanon. But I'm not sure if it is a writer or something. Could someone share their knowledge?

But yeah I'm with you, I'm enjoying shows like EF and True Tears as well. I kinda like Romantic Drama nowadays, after slice-of-life genre.

True Tears at first seems mediocre to me but things started to move so fast that I'm liking it more. I like Noe, spoiler[but I just don't like the idea of her ending up with Shin].

About the issue of spoiler[siblings, I agree with westlo I don't buy it].

They need to have shows like this in the future. One more thing, OMG! I thought I would never see True Tears again because it got licensed. Thank you for the people who post videos online, if it weren't for them I could be waiting for this series for years to have an English(dub) release.

I'm loving this series and EF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyways sorry for asking but what is Key? I know it has something to do with the shows like Clannad, or Kanon. But I'm not sure if it is a writer or something. Could someone share their knowledge?

I believe it's a Visual Novel studio.

As for the spoiler[siblings issue, it's not like I don't believe it, but I recognize the fact that it's possible, and I'm sure that's what Shin's mom and Hiromi are thinking as well. Why else would Shin's mom act that way towards Hiromi? Is there any other reason for Hiromi to avoid Shin when she obviously likes him?]

And about Aiko, spoiler[I hate it when people use others to conceal their real feelings (example: Mao towards Kai in Kimikiss Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ). That's just wrong - She should've been honest about her feelings from the beginning. It's not only her that's hurt, now Nobuse's hurt as well. ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
They need to have shows like this in the future. One more thing, OMG! I thought I would never see True Tears again because it got licensed. Thank you for the people who post videos online, if it weren't for them I could be waiting for this series for years to have an English(dub) release.
Please get some facts straight:
1) The DVDs will still have the Japanese audio and English subtitles.
2) First DVD comes out in May 2008, not exactly "years" from now. (Source)
3) It's not even going to have an English dub.

And in general, the "licensing=inconvenience" attitude isn't exactly appreciated here.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
As for the spoiler[siblings issue, it's not like I don't believe it, but I recognize the fact that it's possible, and I'm sure that's what Shin's mom and Hiromi are thinking as well. Why else would Shin's mom act that way towards Hiromi? Is there any other reason for Hiromi to avoid Shin when she obviously likes him?]

Ok it might be true or not, spoiler[but I see some possibility that Shin and Hiromi isn't siblings, because when Hiromi and Shin's mother was talking about it, her reaction when Hiromi brought it up she was in state of shocked and she said "you didn't forget about it?" (something like that I can't quite remember the real line). Anyways why would Shin's mother say that line(you didn't forget) if it meant a joke. That's why their is a possibility that it was just a misunderstanding. ]

And yes, spoiler[the point that Shin's mom told her that they "might" actually be siblings kept Hiromi to show her true feelings. ] One more thing spoiler[even though they aren't siblings it would be embarassing for Shin's family if the neighbor would see them too close to each other, because they live in the same roof]. You know, we asians have those traditions and cultural thing.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Please get some facts straight:
1) The DVDs will still have the Japanese audio and English subtitles.
2) First DVD comes out in May 2008, not exactly "years" from now. (Source)
3) It's not even going to have an English dub.

And in general, the "licensing=inconvenience" attitude isn't exactly appreciated here.

Sorry, I'll try to avoid that kind of attitude.

And thanks for giving me these straight forward facts.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
so to be honest, i watched the first episode when it came out and wasnt to impressed. tonight i have watched 2-5 and now i love it, spoiler[altho the love triangle or so it seems ] is reminding me of School Days kinda
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
so i got done with episode 6

spoiler[Hiromi telling Shin that at the end, i dunno its not uncommon for step-siblings to developing feelings for each other that go beyond siblings. i think the other reason she told Hiromi to not get close is that she might know the real truth and if the neighbors they have, have seen Hiromi younger with her other mother than what would they think. ]

it will be intresting to see what happens when episode 7 comes out.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
jetz wrote:

Ok it might be true or not, spoiler[but I see some possibility that Shin and Hiromi isn't siblings, because when Hiromi and Shin's mother was talking about it, her reaction when Hiromi brought it up she was in state of shocked and she said "you didn't forget about it?" (something like that I can't quite remember the real line). Anyways why would Shin's mother say that line(you didn't forget) if it meant a joke. That's why their is a possibility that it was just a misunderstanding. ]

Sorry, I didn't get this part.

Quote:
And yes, spoiler[the point that Shin's mom told her that they "might" actually be siblings kept Hiromi to show her true feelings. ] One more thing spoiler[even though they aren't siblings it would be embarassing for Shin's family if the neighbor would see them too close to each other, because they live in the same roof]. You know, we asians have those traditions and cultural thing.

True, but I don't think that's enough reason for her to act that way towards Hiromi. She knows that nothing is happening between Hiromi and Shin because she lives with the two of them, so she's not mad about that. That's just her excuse to treat Hiromi badly.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
chichiriNoDa wrote:

Sorry, I didn't get this part.

Wait, you didn't understand what I wrote? If so, sorry.
BigGimp77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Yea i was wondering why there wasnt a thread for this..

This and Wolf and Spice are the only two shows that debuted in the winter that I'm watching.

True tears is pretty good. Theres so many ways the series can go from the latest episode.

IMO spoiler[I think that they made the 'maybe they're siblings' thing to even out the playing field. Shin's mothers reaction was that she was shocked Hiromi remembered that. I had Hiromi as a heavy favorite before the 6th episode but now Noe and Aiko have a shot. Althought I still think later in the series Hiromi and Shin will be found to not be related and Hiromi will come back for the win.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9