• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 4

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I would hope that, after the anime, more people will want to pick up this wonderful little story and enjoy it in its original form. I know that I loved the first two volumes, which were all my local library had available. I may just have to pick up the books. (Or maybe it will become available on kindle? Please?)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, this is the last volume before the time leap--thus, this is the volume I'm stopping at (likewise, Yen Press should stop here). I went so far as whiting out the 'to be continued' at the end of my book so that I could pretend in my mind that this is the final volume. If this really were the final volume, it would've been an excellent final volume, for all the reasons Rebecca stated and more. It would've been like an open-ended stopping point, but it still would've worked, and leave us wondering in a good way what the future may hold for Daikichi and Rin's life after they achieved finding a good place with each other.

Anyone reading my post will likely get what I'm implying at, so I'll stop there. All I'll say that is up to Volume 4 Bunny Drop is an exceptionally wonderful manga about a man learning through trial and error about raising a child, how it both complicates and enriches his life, as well as their heartwarming relationship. When I read the final volume, all I could think about is "how on earth could something like this take a wild and unfavorable direction?" And I'd like to keep it that way.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I went so far as whiting out the 'to be continued' at the end of my book so that I could pretend in my mind that this is the final volume.

lol Sounds like a good idea...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
(lYen Press should stop here). I

No they should not. Some of us want to read the whole series time skip and all. Just because some people do not like it does mean they should ruin it for the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Anyone reading my post will likely get what I'm implying at, so I'll stop there. All I'll say that is up to Volume 4 Bunny Drop is an exceptionally wonderful manga about a man learning through trial and error about raising a child, how it both complicates and enriches his life, as well as their heartwarming relationship. When I read the final volume, all I could think about is "how on earth could something like this take a wild and unfavorable direction?" And I'd like to keep it that way.

I started reading the manga while watching the show and again and again i read about the catastrophic turn in the manga. Im not really sure if i want to know how bad it is, even though im kind a curious about it.

Probably my expectations are far worse than reality, but i dont want to destroy this wonderful story for me...so i guess i'll end it with vol.4
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
OnkelDittmeyer wrote:
Probably my expectations are far worse than reality, but i don't want to destroy this wonderful story for me...so i guess i'll end it with vol.4

Your expectations couldn't possibly be worse than the fact that every single thread about Usagi Drop will always, ALWAYS devolve into a huge argument about the ending. I suspect the two factions have already raised their banners and prepared for battle. -_-
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
OnkelDittmeyer wrote:
Probably my expectations are far worse than reality, but i don't want to destroy this wonderful story for me...so i guess i'll end it with vol.4

Your expectations couldn't possibly be worse than the fact that every single thread about Usagi Drop will always, ALWAYS devolve into a huge argument about the ending. I suspect the two factions have already raised their banners and prepared for battle. -_-

so there are people who like it? might give me a spark of hope, nobody would like the ending of my darkest fears...
browneyes23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The last half of the story takes place 10 years after the first part (the 'time skip') when Ren is a high-school student growing into young adulthood. Ignoring the last few chapters, it is still a good story about parent/child relationship growth. The problems/issues/questions have changed but the basic premise still holds, how do people interact/react.

As a parent who has raised children from infancy to young adulthood I can relate to pretty much the whole story on multiple levels (with the exception of the last chapters). Children do not come with a "users guide" handbook, parenting is very much a learn-by-doing process.

Bottom line, most of the second half is just as worthwhile as the first, but be prepared to cope with a real discontinuity in the last few chapters.
I genuinely wonder if the author truly feels the way she wrote the story end or if she was pushed by somebody to throw that kink in there to gain publicity.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
As for me, I'll grant that the last few chapters seem a little... odd... but overall, I felt that the matter was handled in about the best way possible, all things considered. This is of course said with the assumption that the end would be the same, regardless of what happened leading up to it.

Also, there is a decent amount of foreshadowing to the end of the series as early as the 2nd or 3rd volume of the manga. It's just something that I'm sure a lot of people either don't, or refuse, to notice.

Either way... I can certainly understand why someone would dislike the ending. I've had a few debates over it with people I know, and the displeasure is certainly understandable.

Still... I'm fairly liberal in what I'm willing to accept in a work, so it didn't really bother me that much. In my personal opinion, it seemed as if the end of the story had been planned from the very beginning.

However... if the author had chosen to implement a greater separation between the two halves of the series, there would probably be considerably less controversy. But it is what it is, and there's nothing we can do to change it, so I'll finish by saying that I was satisfied by the series as a whole and hope that Yen Press finishes its English publication.

I will concede also, that I am still young and in college, so the thought of raising or even having children has scarcely crossed my mind. Perhaps my opinion of the series will change as I grow older, but that's something that I'll only know when the time comes.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Let's just be thankful it did not glorify lolicon. The ending may be strange and upsetting, but at least the actions depicted were not illegal or immoral.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
People usually like to exaggerate about endings and stuff but this is the one rare case I agree with those people.

After the time skip, the characters decisions don't make ANY sense. Really just end the GN before the time skip and the entire series is perfect.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
No they should not. Some of us want to read the whole series time skip and all. Just because some people do not like it does mean they should ruin it for the rest of us.

But by the same token, just because some people want to read the whole series doesn't meant they should ruin for everyone who wants to have no bar of where the series ends up at.

Why should people have to use white-out and pretend that the story ends here? Why doesn't the company - in this case Yen Press - just not release the other chapters and end the story on a high note?
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
Rather than say how I really feel about the people crying for Yen Press to end this early, I'm gonna go watch a youtube video with a kitten.

YOU MADE ME DO THIS.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But by the same token, just because some people want to read the whole series doesn't meant they should ruin for everyone who wants to have no bar of where the series ends up at.

Why should people have to use white-out and pretend that the story ends here? Why doesn't the company - in this case Yen Press - just not release the other chapters and end the story on a high note?

Is this a joke
Zenador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
A nice review review, and I definitely agree on all of those point (Well except for the fact that I absolutely love the art, but I also get that others don't). Also, I like the use of the series' tagline in the last sentence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4