• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Great Visuals: Which manga have the best artwork?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Federated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat new to the manga scene and I have discovered that the art and detail in different manga can vary dramatically. I really appreciate extremely detailed and well drawn scenes and characters. Perhaps the key words are graphic novels. I usually enjoy fantasy or scifi settings with seinen and/or shounen themes, darker stuff.

My favorites are Battle Angel and Berserk...still reading through those and they are amazing. Also been reading Claymore.

Can someone recommend me other manga with real good artwork and detail? I guess it doesn't matter which genre, as long as it isn't shoujo Laughing

Fed
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Try Eden: It's An Endless World! by Hiroki Endo (published by Dark Horse in the US and by Titan in the UK). Personally I prefer Tanpenshu by the same author but Eden's probably a better fit for what you're after - a dark post-apocalyptic seinen series with great (and very detailed) artwork and mature themes.
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
The two manga series that spring to my mind are Black Cat and Air Gear. According to me, they're awesome! Watch out for the fight scenes in the former and the battle scenes in the latter; you'll get hooked!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
When I saw this topic, I instantly thought of Vagabond. The art in that series is drop-dead gorgeous! If the story doesn't grab you at first, the art certainly will. Then you'll realize that the story is great too.

In fact, pretty much anything Takehiko Inoue has great art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
how Berserk has good artwork? i guess it's all about opinion.
Serafuku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
how Berserk has good artwork? i guess it's all about opinion.

He was asking for manga that has "extremely detailed and well drawn scenes and characters." which Berserk does indeed have.

As for my recommendations next time you're in a bookstore look at the Uzumaki manga and see if you like it. I think that it does have "extremely detailed and well drawn scenes and characters" but the content may not be to your liking since it's horror and not action.

It's also a really, really good manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Jing: King of Bandits has some very nice artwork, but sometimes I find it so detailed that I can't see some things because there's just too much visuals on display. The female characters also have unusually long necks but I suppose that's a style thing.
Federated

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to check them all out. Very Happy
monkeyinalamborghini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
battle royale is the most detailed art I've seen in manga. If you can read beserk than the blood and guts probably won't hurt. They just came out with a collectors edition too.
bluestripe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Dominion Conflict 1: No More Noise by Shirow Masamune.

I have yet to see anything even approach that level of detail. I was completely blown away the first time I read it. I'm still blown away every time I re-read it.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Try Akira, it has a lot of amazingly detailed scenes.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
bluestripe wrote:
Dominion Conflict 1: No More Noise by Shirow Masamune.

I have yet to see anything even approach that level of detail. I was completely blown away the first time I read it. I'm still blown away every time I re-read it.

Pretty much anything by Masamune Shirow is guaranteed to have awesome art. The first time I read Appleseed I was blown away by the amount of detail in the backgrounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
Shirow has great art no doubt but his attention to detail can impede his storytelling at times. In terms of detail AND precision I don't think anyone can top Jiro Taniguchi or Katsuhiro Otomo. The former's line work on Icaro is unparalleled. As for Otomo, check out the later half of Akira to see his best stuff. Some of his short stories have an incredible amount of creativity in their designs as well. I have an old collection of his from the UK that shows a heavy Moebius influence and looks amazing, with an impressive use of watercolors in one of the stories.

So in technical terms, I think Jiro Taniguchi is a pretty tough one to beat. If your talking about versatility though then I recommend Usamaru Furuya. He actually comes from a fine arts background and has a willingness to break with manga conventions. His experimentation with style in Palepoli alone would be impressive enough, but his fantastical and surreal designs are astonishing.

And since no one has mentioned him, Hitoshi Ashinano's art is always astonishing.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
In terms of detail AND precision I don't think anyone can top Jiro Taniguchi or Katsuhiro Otomo. The former's line work on Icaro is unparalleled. As for Otomo, check out the later half of Akira to see his best stuff. Some of his short stories have an incredible amount of creativity in their designs as well. I have an old collection of his from the UK that shows a heavy Moebius influence and looks amazing, with an impressive use of watercolors in one of the stories.

Yeah, that whole anthology is quite impressive, although I've only read the Memories short in English (a one-shot released by Epic), the rest in Spanish (though I got the just of the plots). The story Flower is the ultimate homage to Moebius' Metal Húrlant days. I'd like to see one of his older shorts, Memories of Sun-Burg Hill, it's apparently a tribute to Gir's classic Blueberry character.
Y'know, as much as I love Akira, I find his earlier artwork has more charm to it. I have two of his oldest anthologies in Japanese, and he really could draw everything even back then. It's less detailed, and a lot more rougher though, but that doesn't prevent Otomo from illustrating his stories masterfully.
Actually, I think I might scan in some pages just for show...
Also, Taniguchi FTW. I recieved an email reply from Stephen Robson concering a future Taniguchi manga listed on their site, namely A Distant Neighborhood, which to my delight turned out to be the amazing Harukana Machi-E. I wonder what The Quest for the Missing Girl will be about...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
In terms of detail AND precision I don't think anyone can top Jiro Taniguchi

I can't argue with that but I think the OP wanted sci-fi recommendations.

Highway Star wrote:
Also, Taniguchi FTW. I recieved an email reply from Stephen Robson concering a future Taniguchi manga listed on their site, namely A Distant Neighborhood, which to my delight turned out to be the amazing Harukana Machi-E. I wonder what The Quest for the Missing Girl will be about...

They also have his three volume Summit Of The Gods which, judging by the preview at the Ponent Mon site, looks like it will be similar in style to The Ice Wanderer. That's a good thing.

I just wish they'd (a) release their upcoming titles a bit more frequently and (b) re-print Blue so I don't have to spend £50 on a second hand copy...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2