• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Wow that's the second anime i know of with a : "Chronos Corporation" the other being Black Cat.

As for this show i've never seen it. It sounds really Birdy the Mighty though. although spoiler[i'm sure Sho didn't get killed by the escapee].

It sounds like something to see though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
Not sure how Guyver is inspired by American comics, other than perhaps Venom from Spider Man; but that guy showed up years after Guyver was created. Maybe Iron Man, but I wouldn't call that suit symbiotic. If you're pushing it, I guess you can include some of the heroes from Alpha Flight, but that series wasn't even popular in America, and probably didn't make its way to Japan. If anything, though, Guyver was clearly an influence on Evangelion.
Area88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote
I guess the reviewer didn't really the Guyver tv series.

Which is why need the 1986 movie 'Guyver: Out of Control', easily the best anime adaptation to date.
GuyverC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
I have to say, despite the somewhat negative appeal the review leaves, it does cover everything pretty accurately.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hardcore Guyver fan, and I loved the new series... but naturally there were problems throughout. And the fans who own the manga were the first to start complaining.

The later volumes definatly get better. Plus in comparison to the manga... there is much more character interaction this time around... rather than the "true" monster of the week manga that the Guyver started off as.

Area88 wrote:
I guess the reviewer didn't really the Guyver tv series.

Which is why need the 1986 movie 'Guyver: Out of Control', easily the best anime adaptation to date.

I wouldn't say it's the best "adaptation"... but then again, it didn't have much to work with at the time, so it definatly did its best with what it had to work with.

I still prefer the first 6 episodes of the 12 part OAV. Now that was "Ultra Violence"
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
The show gets a little more in-depth as it goes along.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
We just finished watching the show last night (fansubbed).... I liked it-- it's got a B movie quality to it at times, but there were some moments of real drama, and some twists that I didn't really expect. I thought it was a shame where they let the firs season end though-- it seemed a bit anti climactic. Overall though-- not a bad show at all. Yes, it's a fighting show, but I personally thought it had more depth to it than normal-- even the first few eps. I appreciated that the main characters actually sat down and thought about things, etc. etc. Eps 5-8 are better though.

Still, if you're going to watch Guyver, and then complain that it's a fighting show.... that seems a bit odd to me. I mean, that's what it largely is-- even in the much better eps of the show in the second half.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I like the idea of doing the manga-to-anime comparison as an extra. It'd be interesting to see if they could do that for other anime DVDs, as well (although I'd imagine it'd be a pain).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
Still, if you're going to watch Guyver, and then complain that it's a fighting show.... that seems a bit odd to me. I mean, that's what it largely is-- even in the much better eps of the show in the second half.

My complaints aren't about Guyver being a fighting show, but about it not being a particularly fresh or interesting fighting show.

Of course, as I implied, it suffers some for not having changed in story content over 20 years while the genre has progressed at least a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Key:
Quote:
Of course, as I implied, it suffers some for not having changed in story content over 20 years while the genre has progressed at least a bit.

Yes. Action has progressed to filler. Rolling Eyes
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I've heard the series takes a while to get good, so I'm willing to se how the series comes along.

And Bonnie Pink's Cotton Candy just adds that little push for me to see the next episode. Sort of just how Last Kiss got me into Gantz.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
My goodness I had a hard time getting through volume one. It reminded me of Sadamitsu (or vice versa) without the humor. The series definitely hasn't aged well, and reminds me of the recent retelling of Kikaider. I believe you need to reinvent a series if you are to bring it into a new era, much like Giant Robo (at least the 90s version) or the live action Battlestar Galactica. Guyver feels pointless and redundant. I believe the because grade if anything is generous.
roesnail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
i still find the the guyver enjoyable. been a fan since i was 5 years old (am now 20). sure there is better anime out there now. but this was the real deal for many in the 80's to early 90's.spoiler[ i pray for season 2. i want to see more of guyver gigantic]
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
i liked it
Rawshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
Guyver was inspired from two decades worth of tokusatsu shows, particularly Ishinomori stories. Odd that the reviewer would think there's an american influence from just the volume title which could have been made up by Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1