• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Creation with no rights

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm a manga creator, with at least 3 of my own manga sitting on a desk in my room. But since I have no copyrights or publication rights do I still have a chance to become a fully lisenced(sp?) creator?....All I have is my skills with a pencil, pen, paper, and the use of my imagination. I get approval from all my teachers but what are teacher without conections?? Me, stuck in the chair at my desk. lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
But would anyone consider another sci-fi, or feudal, or highschool manga? I only know that the people around me like them because they think it's interesting, and then again know nothing of manga or anime. They need to be educated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood_rein wrote:
I'm a manga creator, with at least 3 of my own manga sitting on a desk in my room. But since I have no copyrights or publication rights do I still have a chance to become a fully lisenced(sp?) creator?....All I have is my skills with a pencil, pen, paper, and the use of my imagination. I get approval from all my teachers but what are teacher without conections?? Me, stuck in the chair at my desk. lol.

Provided you live in the US, *any* work you create is inherently copyrighted by yourself. You don't need to fill out any paperwork or anything.

If you're looking to publish, however... most major companies only look for people who are already known to be successful. You may have to self-publish, distribute your manga locally, and build up a reputation. Eventually you could "make it big", but it usually takes a lot of time and effort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Blood_rein wrote:

Provided you live in the US, *any* work you create is inherently copyrighted by yourself. You don't need to fill out any paperwork or anything.

If you're looking to publish, however... most major companies only look for people who are already known to be successful. You may have to self-publish, distribute your manga locally, and build up a reputation. Eventually you could "make it big", but it usually takes a lot of time and effort.

Arigatou arigatou, can you tell me how? I mean I did not think that I had copyright laws to myself already, but how do I get them to notice? Most of my educators at school believe it's great work but that doesn't get great peopl like Tokyopop or darkhorse interested.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood_rein wrote:
but that doesn't get great peopl like Tokyopop or darkhorse interested.

Success is what attracts publishing houses, not copyright. You might create the world's best manga, but without any success to back it up, neither TP nor anyone else will look at your work.

You have to start small; consider making a small print run for the local comic shops. If they sell well, make a larger print run and start looking into ways to get a bigger distribution (which I wouldn't know about. Maybe Diamond Distribution?)

Watch TP and ADV Manga, and check to see if they're doing any searches/contests to find new manga artists -- TP did one last year, I suspect they'll do it again this year. You might just "make it big" overnight... but usually it takes a lot of work in the meantime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Watch TP and ADV Manga, and check to see if they're doing any searches/contests to find new manga artists -- TP did one last year, I suspect they'll do it again this year. You might just "make it big" overnight... but usually it takes a lot of work in the meantime.

Thank you for the information. Do you mind if we continue this conversation on IM MSN?? I also know a local card shop in which the owner enjoys good anime, do you think he may let me start in his shop?
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I would suggest submitting to Tokyopop - they've opened up their submissions section to anyone. I couldn't hurt to submit. :?
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:39 am Reply with quote
Grieving Chaos wrote:
Actually, I would suggest submitting to Tokyopop - they've opened up their submissions section to anyone. I couldn't hurt to submit. Confused

Can you tell me how I can get through to them???
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
Actually though I was thinking about what cookie said. I've come up with a plan to make a copy of my most popular one and show it to the card shop owner down the street. He cares so much about anime aswell. Maybe I can get him to approve of it and he can sell copies their??
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't know about "getting through to them" - your work would really need to prove itself. But that's the way submitting stuff works - it's generally submit, wait forever, and hope for results.

However, here's the site address if you wanna learn about it: http://www.tokyopop.com/aboutus/submissions.php

I'm thinking about submitting once I finish my own comic.

It's possible he'll sell them - after all, he gets the last word in what he sells. Basically if he likes it, or thinks others will buy it, I don't see why he wouldn't.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:19 am Reply with quote
I took some business class, and if you want to copyright your work, you will need to fill out a form. Go to the official copyright website to obtain one.

I was browing image comic's website and in thier faq, they have stated that they do take summissiom by people who wants to break into the industry of comics/manga. Best part about image is whatever you create, it solely belong to you, not the publisher "image" to decide what's done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1