• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:16 am Reply with quote
What got you started?

Well, for me when I was a 6, I watched a little show called Robotech...
Been down with the mecha ever since
DigiNeoX20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:22 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 and Fatal Fury
Saxton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:40 am Reply with quote
I used to watch speed racer in my younger days. I even sat through a little Voltron (though I can’t say that I liked it very much) but I just always thought of these shows as Saturday morning cartoons. Back then I didn’t even know what anime was.

The first thing that I ever watched KNOWING that it was anime (and what anime was) was the feature length Ninja Scroll. It put a hook in me and I’ve never been able to shake it.

Great stuff, anime…at least most of it is.

Message Ends,

Saxton
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:50 am Reply with quote
Okay, Saxton's got a point... When you first knew it was anime. (Becuase when I was 6, I did not know). Okay in that case the first anime I watched (and purchased) was Macross II: the movie. OKAY, OKay, I know it was kind of cheesy at times, but it had it's good moments (mainly the battle scenes)
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was the first anime I watched knowing it was anime. But I did watch Voltron and all them when I was a kid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Judau

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Lets see, Robotech, Transformers, Voltron, not knowing- and a couple the first animes I knew where anime were what most people would probably consider opisites in every way- Akira and Ronin Warriors, hehe, hey- I liked it at the time- Anubis is awesome! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tiresias

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:55 pm Reply with quote
For me, it was Akira and The Venus Wars that hooked me on the animation style, but the first one that I knew it was anime was Vampire Hunter D.
anime uncut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Saxton wrote:

I used to watch speed racer in my younger days. I even sat through a little Voltron (though I can’t say that I liked it very much) but I just always thought of these shows as Saturday morning cartoons. Back then I didn’t even know what anime was.

The first thing that I ever watched KNOWING that it was anime (and what anime was) was the feature length Ninja Scroll. It put a hook in me and I’ve never been able to shake it.

Great stuff, anime…at least most of it is.

Message Ends,

Saxton

I saw both of those shows.
"Speed Racer"
"Transformers"
"Star Blazers"
"Voltron"
"Robotech"
"Specterman"
"G-Force"
"Ultraman"
There must be more, but I forgot them.

(Regal intro and driving beat)
We're off to outer space.
We're leaving Mother Earth to save the human race!
STAR-STAR BLARZERS!!

Searching for a distant star.
Heading off to Iscandar.
Leaving all we left behind.
Who know what dangers we'll find?!...
WE MUST BE STRONG AND BRAVE!!
OUR HOME WE'VE GOT TO SAVE!!
If we don't in just one year, OUR MOTHER EARTH WILL DISAPPEAR!!

Fighting with the Gamalons.
We won't stop untill we've won, and when we return.
And when we arrive, THE EARTH WILL SURVIVE WITH STAR-STAR BLAZERS!!
(Ending music)

'"Star Blarzers" will return after these messages."

The stuff I liked were the real stuff in the evening like "Godzilla VS The Smog Monster", "Mothra", "Gamara" and the morning and afternoon Japanese "real" monster shows.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The first anime series I remember ever having seen was Voltron, in reruns, way back when I was only 4 or 5.

Sailor Moon is what really got me into anime and internet anime fandom, though. Searching the internet for more information on that series is what really lead to my fascination with anime in general and my interest in message boards and such.

Macross Plus was the first series I ever got into because it was anime. I got the first volume at a local Borders book shop with a gift card my grandmother gave me a number of years ago, and I've been virtually obsessed ever since. Since that time, I have managed to aquire something like 85 tapes and video discs containing said. (Which you might consider either a spectacle or a total waste, depending on your perspective, if you consider the fact that I've been working a middle school to high school student budget. Anime dazed )

I also remember seeing such classics as Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets back in the day, but I never really took to those. I'm really an 80s child, as far as anime experience goes.
Wink
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:58 pm Reply with quote
For me, I think it would be Robotech. Eventhough I did not know it was anime at the time I was watching it, when I found out it basically launched me into anime fandom. I think the first anime I saw that I knew was anime was either Project A-ko or Gunbuster.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mostly AnimEigo from my side (Thanks in part of Blockbuster.)
Urusei Yatsura (Both Manga and Anime)
Bubblegum Crisis
3 X 3 Eyes

Not knowing: Robotech and a ep of Sailor Moon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
anime uncut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:37 pm Reply with quote
That was the other one!
"Battle Of The Planents"!
I used to watch it with "G-Force" (back to back) all the time.
I'm not counting "Thundercats" as anime 'cause it's so Americanized.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:42 pm Reply with quote
As a kid I always watched voltron, but at the time had no idea what anime was. Saw a few other things but it's all a bit fuzzy, I only remember coming home and watching Voltron every day after school. (and Transformers, but as huge of a transfan I am, I refuse to call it anime, the US needs cool cartoon too you know)

Wasn't until later that I watched the first thing that I actually knew was anime and that was Vampire Hunter D followed right up with Lenseman and Robot Carnival. This was back when the Scifi Channel first debuted ('92-ish) and they had their "Adventures in Japanese Animation" specials.

Couple years later I just wasn't satisfied with the stuff they were showing (They had Gigantor and a few other things, and I also had been watching Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon in syndication, this is about '96 or '97, before Cartoon Network got them) so I started renting videos. First rental I remember was Ranma 1/2 (One Grew Over a Kunos Nest I think) along with Project A-ko, Harmageden, Wicked City and a long list of other stuff.

Eventually I found the need to actually BUY the stuff. Got lucky and found Fire Emblem at a salvage store for $4 and that's what jumpstarted my collection (I need to take some pictures of it sometime, I'm so proud. Laughing)

Wow, that was long winded.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Judau

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot about the Sci-Fi channel, Saturday Anime... the best saturday morning cartoons ever... I saw about 6 of the movies they had in the morning, but sadly, I never learned the titles of any of them, and I know I have not seen them lately, I would remember... can anyone think up a list of what they aired, maybe I could fullfill my childhood and grab some on DVD... even if they suck, because they were awesome back then...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BC Anime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:39 pm Reply with quote
speed racer, then transformers, then dbz =\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2