• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Skip Beat! GN 17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitar.chic92

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the character designs...shrewish at best and ugly at worst
After I got used to them, I actually found the designs to be appealing...
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
The Kuu Hizuri arc is actually one of my two favorites of the series so far. I think this is a case of don't judge a book by its cover. (Why is Viz spelling his name Koo when it's clearly Kuu in the Japanese btw?)
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I didn't mind the supernatural theme too much. It kinda meshes in but I agree that it shouldn't have been taken to such a serious light ( but then again, it IS funny if you look at it in a certain way)

And I thought the Reino situation was neccessary spoiler[ for the development of Sho which I liked very very much]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Reino is the Sho look-alike right?

Yeah, that's where I just started getting upset at the direction that the series took. I liked Skip Beat! for the simple fact that it mostly avoided the pitfalls of other shoujo like having too many guys fighting over the same girl. With the introduction of him though, I knew that I would enjoy the series less and less the more I kept reading. So I eventually just stopped. It's a great series though, and I'd totally recommend it, but for me, this volume is around when I became much less interested.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I hate Skip Beat

For one because if you find the part about "acting" interesting, Glass Mask is a lot more interesting (although unfortunately not in English).

Two, I actually found myself interested in this manga, but it will go from being really interesting to spending 10 chapters about who the protagonist should give valentine's chocolate too. BOO!
topleka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I truly disliked the Reino Arc. Truly, truly. In fact, anything with Reino really seems to spoil the pot (like the painfully long Valentine's Day arc which really should have finished up sometime around Valentine's Day...)

But Kuu (Koo?) totally rocks. Definitely one of the best and most moving arcs in the entire series.
mogiks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't think volume 17 was that bad, nor do I agree with the comments about the art... It does have some questionable moments, but it's still a step ahead of most shoujo art imo.

It's true that all these guys fighting over Kyoko did get a bit tiring, but I think Reino was a good character in that he and Kyoko bounce off each other well in confrontations. I think it's just a pity that the mangaka seems incapable of blending the romance in more gently throughout the acting arcs, and everything gets dragged out a lot. (I totally agree with what everyone's saying about the current Valentine's chapters.) It seems like the manga will literally go on forever unless it picks up. Half the recent chapters basically reiterate what's happened before in monologues and flashbacks...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1