• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reveals Clannad Anime License

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Interesting... I always figured ADV would eventually snatch up CLANNAD, but it's a little weird since they lost their licenses for KEY's other franchises~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Alright! I have been waiting for this. Great news! I personally hope it is at least the first TV series they got for now but I am happy either way.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
They lost the other two because of who the licensed via, odds are they licensed this using their own channels.....

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
...No... no no no no no no no.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING.

DEAR GOD, PLEASE LET IT BE A LIE. PLEASE LET THIS BE A RUMOR.

Some may be calling my comment an overreaction, but I just don't trust CLANNAD to be in good hands of a company who dubbed UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. That show all its own was a nightmare, not just cause of their dub, I couldn't care about that, it was just a bad show in general.

Please let this be some really bad rumor. They REALLY mishandled the direction of Air TV. And granted, Kanon was not as bad, sans maybe one character, but they really missed the characteristics of most of the persona's of the former title's cast.

Again, disclaimer, this is the one show I am a purist about. Key's works are not something to be tampered with.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
If this is true; then this is finally the end of all things good about anime as we know it.

I let a lot slide: Code Geass, Welcome To NHK, Bang Zoom's bragging... This is the straw that broke the camel's back.

ADV will get a very negative phone call from me. (As negative as I can in terms of diplomacy.)
e-imi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
If this is true; then this is finally the end of all things good about anime as we know it.

I let a lot slide: Code Geass, Welcome To NHK, Bang Zoom's bragging... This is the straw that broke the camel's back.

ADV will get a very negative phone call from me. (As negative as I can in terms of diplomacy.)
Sorry? I'd like to know what you're talking about (I'm a bit confused). Code Geass was never with ADV, it's a Bandai title. It's seems you have a valid opinion about ADV, and I'd like to know what it's about. Smile

Anyways, if ADV's about to pick up another title (Yay! Clannad!) they better finish off their others that haven't been tossed over to Funi. Confused
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Some may be calling my comment an overreaction, but I just don't trust CLANNAD to be in good hands of a company who dubbed UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. That show all its own was a nightmare, not just cause of their dub, I couldn't care about that, it was just a bad show in general.

Who cares if ADV released Valkyrie? Not only does it have nothing to do with CLANNAD, but that's completely setting aside the fact that ADV has also released the Makoto Shinkai films, Full Metal Panic, Princess Tutu and other well-done, superbly translated and dubbed series. ADV is actually my favorite company in the industry when it comes to dubs, so I have zero fear there, especially after seeing how absolutely fantastic the Kanon dub track was. (Heck yeah, people who sound like PEOPLE!)

I, for one, heartily welcome our new dango overlords.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Kyo: Newsflash. All companies license crappy shows once in a while. And they didn't really get a chance to handle Air in the first place, since Sojitz kept dicking them around on the rights.

Anyway, I'm guessing the naysayers are people willing to overlook FUNimation's crap DBZ-and now GT- transfers, and disregard any happiness for them that they're still able to acquire a potentially lucrative title-unlike the rest of us.

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
evilnekohilda

e-imi wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:

Sorry? I'd like to know what you're talking about (I'm a bit confused). Code Geass was never with ADV, it's a Bandai title. It's seems you have a valid opinion about ADV, and I'd like to know what it's about. :)

Anyways, if ADV's about to pick up another title (Yay! Clannad!) they better finish off their others that haven't been tossed over to Funi. :?

Maybe they meant Gurren Lagann?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
narutoismybrother

Ah...
This is probably what they wanted to say at Otakon, but couldn't because the contract wasn't finished.
I love Clannad more than anything. IMO it's much better than Kanon.
If ADV butchers the voices thank goodness for subtitles. I just want the dvds to show Clannad's awesomeness to my friends and so that I can keep watching it without having to boot up my hard drive. XP
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Funniest post I may have ever read, and I don't necessarily agree or disagree.

Although the Bang Zoom 'press releases' are starting to get annoying in that they often are months behind, and are less press releases than stroke material. I'm torn on the fact that they do good work.
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...No... no no no no no no no.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING.

DEAR GOD, PLEASE LET IT BE A LIE. PLEASE LET THIS BE A RUMOR.

Please let this be some really bad rumor. They REALLY mishandled the direction of Air TV. And granted, Kanon was not as bad, sans maybe one character, but they really missed the characteristics of most of the persona's of the former title's cast.

Again, disclaimer, this is the one show I am a purist about. Key's works are not something to be tampered with.

Let me get this straight: you claim to be a purist about Key's stuff, but you're complaining about how horrible the dubs are? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I only watch stuff subbed. I have both Air and Kanon, I haven't finished Air yet, but what I have of Kanon, I see no problem with. Video quality's good, subs are pretty close to the fansubs I'm used to. I don't see the problem. As for Air, I've never seen any fansubs of that, but what I have watched of the show, well... Nothing seemed wrong.

On-topic, as long as they do things the way they did with Kanon, I don't have a problem with ADV getting the licence (assuming it's the first series they licenced). If it's the movie, I, quite frankly, don't give a shit. The movie is horrible.
skyler25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Finally, it can finally sit on my shelf instead of just on my hardrive. Very Happy

I hope that it's the series; it probably will be, since that's the most well-known. If it's the movie, I'm not complaining though.

I'm a little worried about the dub too; the current voices of Clannad seem seem so excellent and fitting, and I've gotten so used to them (over the three times I watched the series Anime hyper) that I don't think that I could adapt to new voices, and I normally like dubs.

Kyogissun wrote:

"Tampered?" As in, the voices? Or is this another oh-no-they'll-change-the-plot-like-4Kids?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
e-imi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it guys, mainly every anime gets dubbed, and usually always they're always bad. If you don't like dubs and are worried about the voices, just don't listen to it, that's what I've done with ToHeart. Confused
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Who cares if ADV released Valkyrie? Not only does it have nothing to do with CLANNAD, but that's completely setting aside the fact that ADV has also released the Makoto Shinkai films, Full Metal Panic, Princess Tutu and other well-done, superbly translated and dubbed series.
Wait...what? ADV's dubs for Shinkai's films are HORRIFIC. The translations are fine, yeah, but the voice acting and direction is truly awful. The line reads are stilted and awkward and completely lack the emotional nuance Shinkai's films require.

I actually consider the Place Promised and 5cm dubs to be among the worst serious and dramatic dubs produced in the last few years.

Thank god for Japanese audio tracks. Smile

Oh, I should also add that I really don't give a crap about Clannad, and this license doesn't surprise me in the least. Though I do have to question the wisdom of licensing the same sort of series (low sales potential, low crossover/mainstream appeal) that got you into the financial difficulties that resulted in the loss of your business partner and all the assets you acquired with them in the first place.

ADV needs something that will sell outside of the moe otaku fanbase if they actually want to dig themselves out of their hole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12