• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyamoto: Retro Studios Might Collaborate on Zelda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
This would be awesome. Metroid Prime is absolutely brilliant (and was much better than the old games, imo). I'd love to see what they could do with Zelda.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
not a fan. if it's only a collab like in mario kart 7 (very minor stuff) thats fine. but i dont trust anyone other than true nintendo with something as classic as zelda
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Studios

I've heard good things about Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Prime was a impressive (even if it is over 9 (?!?!) years old.) It's not like they could pull a fast one on Nintendo; at the least I bet you'd get something interesting, provided it isn't overly crushed by oversight. Not that oversight is a bad thing, of course.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted the ultimate prequel. No heroes of time, no legends. The original Link that's just a guy from a village and some bandit named Ganon kidnaps Zelda and is trying to take this thing no one has of heard of called the triforce to gain access to some place called the Sacred Realm. Just a game that's the beginning of the legends. I mean, all legends start somewhere, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
This would be awesome. Metroid Prime is absolutely brilliant. I'd love to see what they could do with Zelda.

There's just one small, teeny issue: the original development team responsible for the Metroid Prime trilogy no longer work at Retro, and there's no words which can express how innovative this team was (exampled by their extraordinary use of the Wii remote's capability as well as the submersion of the franchise into the 3D world).

I'm not saying Retro is a bad studio, but to lose such a creative team will impact this title. In an ironic twist of fate, just look what happened to the Zelda franchise when Miyamoto left the development side.

I can only hope there's a return to the franchise's core (as TKoH says), but it isn't going to happen when the casual gamer still bitches the Water Temple is too hard.

Now, let's take all this and apply it to the Wii U.

R.I.P. Legend of Zelda. You served many fans over your illustrious life, so best die in a blaze of glory than a mountain of pity.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
This would be awesome. Metroid Prime is absolutely brilliant. I'd love to see what they could do with Zelda.

There's just one small, teeny issue: the original development team responsible for the Metroid Prime trilogy no longer work at Retro, and there's no words which can express how innovative this team was (exampled by their extraordinary use of the Wii remote's capability as well as the submersion of the franchise into the 3D world).

I'm not saying Retro is a bad studio, but to lose such a creative team will impact this title. In an ironic twist of fate, just look what happened to the Zelda franchise when Miyamoto left the development side.

I can only hope there's a return to the franchise's core (as TKoH says), but it isn't going to happen when the casual gamer still bitches the Water Temple is too hard.

Now, let's take all this and apply it to the Wii U.

R.I.P. Legend of Zelda. You served many fans over your illustrious life, so best die in a blaze of glory than a mountain of pity.
A bit dramatic, no? It's pretty funny how people are so quick to assume that if an American touches a Japanese property, it instantly turns to shite. Historically, however, many great games have sprung forth from these types of collabs. Examples include:

- Metroid Prime (Retro)
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Silicon Knights)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Retro)
- Silent Hill Homecoming (Double Helix)
- Silent HIll Shattered Memories (Climax)
- Dead Rising 2 (Blue Castle Games)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (MercurySteam)

All good games, all Western-developed entries in Japanese series. If Miyamoto has enough faith in Retro to share his baby with them, then I'm eager to see what they can come up with. To me, it's pretty rude to undermine the work of a good developer by saying "R.I.P. The Legend of Zelda." But hey, that's just me.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Great news, when supervised by Nintendo they can do awesome games, both in the past (the Metroid Prime series) and in the present (Donkey Kong Country Returns, the tracks design in Mario Kart 7). Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Great news, when supervised by Nintendo they can do awesome games, both in the past (the Metroid Prime series) and in the present (Donkey Kong Country Returns, the tracks design in Mario Kart 7). Smile
Agreed, but I didn't know about their work on the tracks in Mario Kart 7 o3o That makes me respect em even more!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1