Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Wonder Festival 2009 Winter Cancelled




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14548
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
They need to watch a Japanese dub of Mallrats. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Shadowrun20XX



Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 1910
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
However, 10 attendees of Wonder Festival 2008 Summer were injured — none seriously — on August when a four-floor-high escalator stopped without warning and changed direction.
So the escalator shifted from up/diagonal to down/diagonal? How were they hurt?Were they doing handstands on they way up?Hold on to the railing next time.You can't tell me they fell victim to a domino effect,or the pour the top crowd into the bottom effect.That would be more hilarious than anything.Escalators will shutdown before they would ever whip back on you.You then need to restart them manually by key.Japan must have high-powered,high-tech,unsafe escalators for that to happen.Then again we are sue happy over here.Everything has to have a safety precaution.

I think some August time,foul play was going on.

We have a ton of escalators here in Vegas.I practically grew up around them.There is usually a sweet spot,that if kicked.....hilarity begins.Got to learn how to outrun security first though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
aluria



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 367
Location: New Westminster, B.C., Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
A little extreme reaction. No one was seriously injured. Couldn't they just power off the escalator and use it as regular stars instead?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobody000



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
ANN wrote:
However, 10 attendees of Wonder Festival 2008 Summer were injured — none seriously — on August when a four-floor-high escalator stopped without warning and changed direction.
So the escalator shifted from up/diagonal to down/diagonal? How were they hurt?Were they doing handstands on they way up?Hold on to the railing next time.You can't tell me they fell victim to a domino effect,or the pour the top crowd into the bottom effect.That would be more hilarious than anything.Escalators will shutdown before they would ever whip back on you.You then need to restart them manually by key.Japan must have high-powered,high-tech,unsafe escalators for that to happen.Then again we are sue happy over here.Everything has to have a safety precaution.

I think some August time,foul play was going on.

We have a ton of escalators here in Vegas.I practically grew up around them.There is usually a sweet spot,that if kicked.....hilarity begins.Got to learn how to outrun security first though.


Escalator failure is a lot more common than people think. Mechanically speaking, the disaster is usually catastrophic in that it wipes out the safties too. Here's actual footage of the one in question.
http://www.alafista.com/2008/08/04/escalator-disaster-at-wonder-festival/

And according to CBS: "every year, nearly 10,000 people are sent to the emergency room because of escalator accidents"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wilson_x1999



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 176
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
A little extreme reaction. No one was seriously injured. Couldn't they just power off the escalator and use it as regular stars instead?


That was exactly what I thought, but I guess that they wouldn't be able to actually use them with all those heavy models and toys Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SeinenAi



Joined: 30 Nov 2007
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
A little extreme reaction. No one was seriously injured. Couldn't they just power off the escalator and use it as regular stars instead?


That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

Also, Shadowrun20XX, there were many many people on the escalator which is why it broke down, only 10 out of those were injured.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ximpalullaorg



Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 305
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well I was in Japan when this "accident" happened, and the media there baiscally kept on talking about it for several days (I lost count of how many times they showed the footage of the actual accident), so this, while stupid, doesn't surprise me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BleuVII



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 672
Location: Tokorozawa, Japan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Well I was in Japan when this "accident" happened, and the media there baiscally kept on talking about it for several days (I lost count of how many times they showed the footage of the actual accident), so this, while stupid, doesn't surprise me.


Indeed. The Japanese media OBSESSIVELY overcovered this, making it sound like a mindless and senseless tragedy. Even people around me in Fukushima prefecture, which is 4 hours north of Tokyo, were talking about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder Festival's cancellation was a face-saving gesture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TokyoGetter



Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Posts: 416
Location: CA. You can tell by the low moral standards.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Well I was in Japan when this "accident" happened, and the media there baiscally kept on talking about it for several days (I lost count of how many times they showed the footage of the actual accident), so this, while stupid, doesn't surprise me.


Indeed. The Japanese media OBSESSIVELY overcovered this, making it sound like a mindless and senseless tragedy. Even people around me in Fukushima prefecture, which is 4 hours north of Tokyo, were talking about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Wonder Festival's cancellation was a face-saving gesture.


I think this is the case. So much pressure gets brought down so fast and furious that it's better not to have the public eye of Japan bearing down upon you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group