• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lupin III sportscar

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keimanandkei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know the year, make, model and vintage of Lupin III's red open top sports car? It was in last night's episode "Now Museum, Now You Don't" which was about the fake Sharaku painting snatch. Thanks a lot.-K&K Confused
Innotech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
either a 1920's Mercedes SSK or Alfa romeo 2300 Touring model.
Which one do you mean? the sportier one is the alfa.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
The car shown in last nights episode was indeed, a Alfa Romeo 2300.

I remember reading something about him driving another car, but I dont remember to get specific about it.

I'll try looking it up against and I'll post it up later. Wink

EDIT:
Quote:
Fiat 500
Nevermind. Innotech beat me to it. Laughing

Last edited by RedvsBlue on Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Innotech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
The car shown in last nights episode was indeed, a Alfa Romeo 2300.

I remember reading something about him driving another car, but I don't remember to get specific about it.

I'll try looking it up against and I'll post it up later. Wink

he drove a Fiat 500 in Castle of Cagliostro, and the Mercedes I mentioned was his main car.
Gecko Zero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
OK, so anyone know what the yellow sports car he steals in Zenigatacon is? It was ringing a bell last night, but not loud enough for me to make it out.... Something in that Pantera/Lamborghini outline (but without the gullwing doors).
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
Heh, cars and Lupin tend to go together. Especially interesting for any automotive enthusiast is the Monaco Gran Prix episode. The six wheeled F1 car Lupin drives is actually a real car - the Tyrrell P34.

What's more, the drivers Lupin raced against really were drivers in the World Championship. I loved watching that episode and seeing greats like Niki Lauda animated.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
Woo hoo! Tamiya used to make a scale model of the Tyrrell, but not any more.

I've not watched any Lupin anime, but I'm a car lover myself. That's part of the reason why I loved ExDriver (with the Lotus Europa, Caterham Super 7 and Lancia Stratos), GITS: SAC (Batou's Lancia Stratos perfectly animated, plus loads of CGI Lamborghini Murcielagos and BMW Mini Coopers, a lone Alfa Romeo 147GTA which got blown up, a Toyota Supra and some others too).

I've seen very few anime with nicely, accurately rendered cars. Ai Yori Aoshi was one of them with Mayu's Mercedes S or E class (can't remember which). Rahxephon, in which Ayato's mum was driving either a Jaguar XJ or a Bimmer 7-series (both cars appeared in different episodes).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
If you want nice, accurately-rendered cars, watch the first four episodes of You're Under Arrest, which is actually the original OVA series. Some of the best vehicle animation I've ever seen, primarily of the Honda Today*, and the cars don't distort when they round corners (unlike, say, the You're Under Arrest TV episodes, which didn't have the lavish OVA budget.)

The car chase with the yellow Lancia up the rain-slicked Shuto Highway #6 in "Tokyo Typhoon Rally", the second episode of You're Under Arrest, is simply the most beautiful animated car chase I have ever seen, at least technically. It's not as crazy as the car chase in the first episode, though, nor the one in Castle of Cagliostro.

*The Honda Today is called either the Honda Beat or the Honda City in some markets... wait a minute; Honda Beat, Honda City, Beat.. City... Beat city now now, Beat beat, Beat city now now, Woo-oo-oo, Beat city now now, Beat beat, Beat beat, Beat city, I watch you tumble down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hmm, You're Under Arrest, ExDriver, and of course Keiichi's wonderfully drawn BMW motorcycle and Sayoko's BMW 535i from Oh! My Goddess.

Gotta hand it to Kosuke Fujishima, he's the master of cars and girls.....

Man.... I wanna be Kosuke Fujishima now. Sad
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
If you want nice, accurately-rendered cars, watch the first four episodes of You're Under Arrest, which is actually the original OVA series. Some of the best vehicle animation I've ever seen, primarily of the Honda Today*, and the cars don't distort when they round corners (unlike, say, the You're Under Arrest TV episodes, which didn't have the lavish OVA budget.)
[/size]

Ugly, Ugly Car.

I'd go for the Toyotas from GTO. The Mark II, Cresta, and the Chaser. "Damn it, they all look alike!!"
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:40 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

That one, perhaps, but the Honda Today as seen in the series (and in the original manga) is an early 1980s model, with adorable round headlights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:03 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

The car chase with the yellow Lancia up the rain-slicked Shuto Highway #6 in "Tokyo Typhoon Rally", the second episode of You're Under Arrest, is simply the most beautiful animated car chase I have ever seen, at least technically. It's not as crazy as the car chase in the first episode, though, nor the one in Castle of Cagliostro.

*The Honda Today is called either the Honda Beat or the Honda City in some markets... wait a minute; Honda Beat, Honda City, Beat.. City... Beat city now now, Beat beat, Beat city now now, Woo-oo-oo, Beat city now now, Beat beat, Beat beat, Beat city, I watch you tumble down.

Ah yes, I know that one. And I have that one too on VCD. Look closely at the opening sequence. The police chief drives a Honda NSX, and sitting beside him is the bespectacled police girl (what's her name?). And Ken-chan (the motorcycle cop) specifically chose a dual-sport Yamaha for the high speed chase in the rain (and I remember reading side notes about how the domestic model differed from his special edition model which was meant for overseas markets and had a slightly bigger engine).

Ah yes, the old Honda beat was a cool car back in those days, and came with a little moped, which also was accurately rendered. Tamiya used to sell those models, the car AND the moped as a set, and the scale figurines separately.

I love Kosuke Fujishima's works. He's a real motor freak. And his anime girls look very lovely.

And oh, how can you forget the racing motorcycle with the side-car in the AMG movie? Keiichi and Belldandy make the perfect team.
keimanandkei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Agree with you about the Toyotas in the show especially the vice-principal's unfortunate Cressida! But how about that old Hako Suta (think it's spelled right) that Nao drives in the 'Queen of HS' episode! Never knew the Japanese even MADE muscle cars like that! Did some checking and found out that the HS was a Nissan Skyliner from either the 60's, 70's or the 80's. It really ruled the road though against Eikichi's cycle! Love that GTO series a lot! Ever see the Shelby Cobra that Rally Vincent tools around in on 'Gunsmith Cats'? That is one radical muscle car! Didn't know that Ford made anything decent! Then found out the Cobra was a Mustang! My fave cars are the flying jobs in the Angels (DP)(DPFlash) that Kei and Yuri wreck! Any others? See ya soon-K&K
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
keimanandkei wrote:
Ever see the Shelby Cobra that Rally Vincent tools around in on 'Gunsmith Cats'? That is one radical muscle car! Didn't know that Ford made anything decent! Then found out the Cobra was a Mustang!

Ford hasn't made anything decent since the 1970's (and before someone flames about it, the "Drifter" GTO Bites. Period). The Shelby Cobras were pretty much shut down before 1970, and thats when Shelby made his own Car Comapny out of Las Vegas. Heck, he hates the Shelby in Gone in 60 Seconds. I curse Chip Foose for that travesty!!

Of course, it seems that while most American Car manufacturers went junkers in the 1970's, Japan seemed to go better during the 1970's (Then again, I'm very impartial to such beauties as the 1960's era Toyota 2000GT, which was featured in the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice" and the Fairlady Z Cars (the Datsun 280ZX being my personal favorite. Much more prettier and sleeker than the 350Z's of today.). Not until the 1980's did the Japanese made some of the most legendary cars like the RX-7 Rotaries and the AE86 Corollas. (Okay, Okay, I'll link it back to the OP and Anime Genre).

For me, I prefer the Initial D Game than the Anime. The Anime really cuts into the true potential of the cars (and introduces some really whacky ideas. Using Gutters to gain power? WTF?!?!?) while the Game offers a wide selection of cars to try and race. Favorite has to be the Sil-Eighty.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:02 am Reply with quote
One of my favourites would be the R34 Skyline GTR with the RB26 twin turbo engine. Though it's quite a big ponderous car, it has the potential for massive horsepower with it's tough cast iron engine block. Add in the safety net of 4WD and passive 4WS, it's really quite idiot proof. A Supra looks better, but is a lot more scary to drive, what with RWD only.

BTW, I remember an old Skyline (spelled Sklline) featured in one episode of Maison Ikkoku. That's the episode where that waitress from Cha Cha Maru goes out with this guy for a while but in the end it did not work out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2