• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Database - listing of fields?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Purely a technical question:

What are all the fields currently used in the release database? Is there a media-type field or other special fields (past the one for separating out boxsets)? How does the system build titles on the listing page and how many different fields are used? Is the entry page all text strings or are there selectors like dropdowns and checkboxes?

Yes, I'm feeling especially nosey. Well that and I've got an idea but I want to make sure it's not already in use.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
The release database is somewhat of a relic. It was one of the first database-driven sections to be added when ANN was refactored to php pages in 2000. The fields include:

title
distributor (id to sub-table)
vol. number
total volumes
format (e.g. DVD)
msrp
running time
release date
pre-order date
description

In the release list we're displaying the entries based on a combination of the release date, the title and the distributor. So you could display something like all titles beginning with A released by ADV in 2004. For the boxset page, we're actually cheating and displaying all releases that contain "box" in the title Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1