• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FileSonic, Uploaded, Others Remove File-Sharing Options

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Good for mediafire; they have always been my download site of choice. No wait times, stupid download codes, just convenient sharing.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
What an interesting year 2012 is turning out to be, who would have thought all this excitement would come in one month?

The times are changing, some for the best and some for the not so best. All I can say is let the good times roll, at least while they can.

I just wonder, what does tomorrow bring in this interesting case of file sharing?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
I hope people realize that this affects non-copyright infringing normals as well. Surely there must be at least one person out there who uses filesharing to send personal non-copyright infringing files, and with all of the sites becoming private use, and they don't have a personal FTP set-up, and e-mail is useless, this is a big problem. So no, this isn't a victory for anime or manga, it's about control of the internet in favor of corporations and screw over everyone, regardless of whether they pirate or not.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope people realize that this affects non-copyright infringing normals as well. Surely there must be at least one person out there who uses filesharing to send personal non-copyright infringing files, and with all of the sites becoming private use, and they don't have a personal FTP set-up, and e-mail is useless, this is a big problem. So no, this isn't a victory for anime or manga, it's about control of the internet in favor of corporations and screw over everyone, regardless of whether they pirate or not.

Some articles were claiming that like 70% of all the stuff on megaupload was legitimate business material. I honestly think there was some other than just "lol we host pirated stuff" that forced the gov to shut down megaupload. some of the charges hinted it at as well. I think filesonic and the others are overreacting unless they too are doing something fish. Like with youtube...as long as the companies made a SERIOUS EFFORT to remove pirated files then there's no problem....i know megavideo/upload removed a lot of anime i watched so they were sitting around either...something deeper. I never used filesonic but i hope they realize they should be as long as they make an effort and allow sharing back
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
meh, everyone is just gonna torrent.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Kinda makes the whole anti-SOPA thing pointless when they can just do this regardless.

But yeah.. this is not making my backlog of links any happier with all these sites shutting down. Torrents are fine for new stuff, but good luck finding seeds for a 10 year old torrent.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
if a copyright holder request youtube to remove content, they do it within 24-48hours.

Most of those bad file share websites, take them months to remove anything. Some of of the very illegal stream or file sharing sites, don't even care.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Kinda makes the whole anti-SOPA thing pointless when they can just do this regardless.

Well, obviously. The things these file-sharing sites were doing was illegal. Especially if their financial viability revolved around selling premium accounts to allow people to download more and/or have people spread upload links everywhere so they can make money off people downloading the copyrighted material.

Everyone got mad at SOPA cause it would supposedly take Youtube down or get rid of the 'fair use' clause that currently allows internet celebrities like Nostalgia Critic, Angry Video Game Nerd, HuskyStarcraft, etc. to upload their videos legally.

I don't recall anyone backing megaupload or fileserve or anything when I read the 'why SOPA is bad' spiel.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't recall anyone backing megaupload or fileserve or anything when I read the 'why SOPA is bad' spiel.

I figured people just took it for granted, using the line of thinking that infringing files would be removed upon request, instead of the entire site being removed upon takedown.
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
As a freelance comic colorist, this really really sucks. I often use rapidshare, the next site that appears to be under fire, for business uses. Because I'm working on comics, there's obviously a large number of hi resolution images that have to be transferred to clients. Now 90% of my business is done through my paid account on dropbox and I also use box.net, but there's occasionally clients that prefer not to make accounts through either of those sites so rapidshare was handy for that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
MediaFire is about 500% better than RapidShare in terms of user friendliness. The perks have already been listed by a user above.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Like with youtube...as long as the companies made a SERIOUS EFFORT to remove pirated files then there's no problem....i know megavideo/upload removed a lot of anime i watched so they were sitting around either...something deeper. I never used filesonic but i hope they realize they should be as long as they make an effort and allow sharing back
One problem is that actually removing the infringing files could break legitimate links as well - if I understand correctly, every link to a given file is from a separate upload that happened to be identical to something already on the servers. The only way to avoid removing files with legitimate links and remove those without would be to forward every link to the complainant, which is above and beyond what the safe harbor provision requires.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
MediaFire is about 500% better than RapidShare in terms of user friendliness. The perks have already been listed by a user above.

Until you run into the filesize limit. You can break rars/zips up, but it's just much less convenient, and convenience is what the internet runs on.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
I've read comments with people saying don't worry there are other file sharing sites, most of those less popular and a pain to use and that a site like megaupload will return. I don't see that happening if SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, OPEN and PCFIPA pass.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
The file-sharing site witch hunt has really put a wedge in my options of viewing anime online. While I could see the deletion of files being all right with anime titles that are in print, currently licensed and have the option to see via legal streaming sites; it makes it much more difficult for me to hunt down older and niche anime titles that are either OOP or have never been licensed, in particular Legend of the Galactic Heroes which I just started up a few weeks ago before the Megaupload raid got file-sharing sites cowering for cover and most of the resources I had of downloading episodes for the series have now been axed. I can't torrent the series either because my ISP would terminate my connection if I even attempt it. File-sharing sites were my major source of downloading anime after I got out of college and this whole mess has really screwed up my options for how I can watch unlicensed anime titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4