• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Uta no Prince-sama - Maji Love 1000% episodes 1-13 streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree wholeheartedly with this review.

When I started watching Uta-Pri, I was prepared for something silly, something light, something that didn't require a lot of thought on my part but that I could enjoy anyway. I also expected to not have any of those requirements met, and was pleasantly surprised when they were. Yes, the main cast is rather basic in its construction, but the seiyuus and the script do a wonderful job of making those basics excel in what they are. Uta-Pri knows *exactly* what it is - an anime based off of a reverse harem - and brings the viewer *exactly* what it promises, and so there are no disappointments in the expectation.

The voice actors are particularly enjoyable, especially when they happen to burst out into song. No character is nails on a chalkboard, and the best songs (in my opinion) are the two sung by the entire six-part band, the opening theme Maji Love 1000% and the insert Mirai Chizu.

The only real issue I ever had with the series - the plots were rather silly, but entertaining - was Haruka's eyes. My god the eyes. For the first few episodes I found myself wondering if I could *actually* stomach watching the rest of it because of those eyes. Well, I got used to the green-on-yellow by about episode 4 (if you focus on the eye-candy of the male cast you can develop and immunity), and I made it through. And now I'm happily awaiting the second season, of which I've heard there will be one. If anything, it'll be thirty minutes each week where I can just sit back, relax, and enjoy some good music.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Not at all a fan of bishonen stuff, but this show on NicoNico with the comments on is hilarious. I was laughing to tears at pretty much every episode. So if any non-fan of that genre want to give it a try I recommend at least to watch one episode with the Niconico comments. Razz
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Entertaining review as usual, Rebecca.

Rebecca's review wrote:
....our cast expands to cover all of the recommended reverse harem staples – the loud, energetic guy (Syo), the cold guy (Masato), the weird guy (Natsuki), and the broody guy (Tokiya).P

I think you forgot "uke-wannabe, shota guy". I can't remember his name in this one, but it isn't a checklist reverse harem without one of him. I'm not really sure what kind of girl likes this type, but that character never gets the girl. It's almost always the "emo-tsundere guy" who gets her, and it was pretty obvious that this show is no different.

Frankly, I found all of these characters a few french fries short of a happy meal, but I guess the fantasy is that the main character (who I nicknamed "Roadkill Girl") adds the missing french fries so that they are all "fixed" at the end. Just like what happens in the regular Harem shows aimed at guys, where the protagonists fixes all the girls before settling on the "emo-violent-tsundere girl" at the end.

The checklist is just as predictable in fujoshi-bait shows as the otaku-bait, and exhibit the same character types. I have to wonder what the attraction is to emotionally unstable partners, but then I can understand that a type like my husband ("bear-like, food motivated guy") does not really add much drool or drama. Laughing

It sounds like I didn't like this show at all, but I actually found it hilarious. I always pick one show each season as the "stupid show", and this didn't disappoint. (This season, it's Brave 10) I have to give Uta-Pri credit for the over-the-top Wakamoto character and the relatively high production, which is not standard with this type of show.

(Oh, Rebecca, I know one guy who watched this show. My brother. He started out watching it with me because he will watch any show that has a character who looks like him Rolling Eyes, but ended up watching the whole show because he thought it was as unintentionally hilarious as I did.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Why do her eyes look like urine?

I honestly want to know. Is it some condition? It's a very serious problem.
domino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with both this review and the comment above suggesting to watch this on NicoNico with the comments on.

The show is ridiculous enough by itself, but paired with the NicoNico viewers' commentary, I found myself laughing so hard I was crying at just about every episode.

Here's a link to the whole series, streaming with lovely NicoNico commentary: http://ch.niconico.com/channel/ch60035

Even if this genre disgusts you, give it a shot and go in for a good laugh.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
A BIG Shoujo and bishounen fan I am. :3

So naturally I enjoyed this show to the max and am excitedly anticipating the second season.

This is the first harem show where I loved ALL the guys and didn't mind who the girl ended up with.

That is a big thing for me.

Not to mention, this was quite well received in Japan.

Her eyes? I got used to it in 3 eps. Very Happy

Jinguji Ren-sama was perhaps my fave for myself (NOT for the main girl as I have already said I didn't mind who she was with) because of his sexy voice from the Sexy Junichi Sawabe but we got the fan service bath scene which had me go mad with fan girlish exictedness. <3 And I love Player-bad boys with a passion....rather the bad boy who flirts with the main girl.

I'm in Ren-mode again. <3 I loved his hair, his voice, his everything. Now if only we'd get more fan service scenes with him in the next season. *o*

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I think you forgot "uke-wannabe, shota guy". I can't remember his name in this one, but it isn't a checklist reverse harem without one of him. I'm not really sure what kind of girl likes this type, but that character never gets the girl. It's almost always the "emo-tsundere guy" who gets her, and it was pretty obvious that this show is no different.

Damn, I can't believe I forgot that one! Syo kind of fills that need, I guess, but not really. Maybe he'll show up in season 2? Personally I always cheer for either the wacky guy or the nice guy, as does my youngest sister (middle sister won't watch these with us, the fool) - for whatever reason, we were watching both UtaPri and La Corda around the same time and were entertained (and a bit embarrassed) to notice that we switched between the two - I liked Ryotaro and Syo and she liked Kazuki and Otoya. Laughing

Quote:
(Oh, Rebecca, I know one guy who watched this show. My brother. He started out watching it with me because he will watch any show that has a character who looks like him Rolling Eyes, but ended up watching the whole show because he thought it was as unintentionally hilarious as I did.)

I stand corrected! Very Happy Actually, I wanted to mention that anyone would get a kick out of it with the comments, but then I thought that might not be a hugely professional statement to make. Wink Are you enjoying Brave 10, by the way?

Meggido, if you figure out what dread disease the heroine has, please do let me know. We must stop it before it spreads to other anime characters!
Rankarana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
As a male who was totally not attracted to the quirky lovable bishies not at all no way iyaaaaa~ etc. I honestly really enjoyed most of the show; and even though the final arc dragged more series need to have their central antagonists be Norio Wakamoto and a traffic jam. The comments I only checked out for the last few episodes, and I'm rather sad it took me so long to do that because this is the kind of show that thrives with commentary.

Cecil's magic time travel idol prince journey acid trip episode was pretty amazing, as was daaaaaaayum dat Ringo; and the OP theme was truly fantastic. All-around good watch.

Brave10 is sorta good but unfortunately it can't decide whether it wants to be an amusingly kitsch pseudo-romance bro banter ninja show or a surprisingly dull action series with well-animated but boring fights.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Brave 10 has got this addictive quality, though it certainly is not very good. I can understand why Bamboo dropped it. The main female character is beyond annoying, and she has only gotten worse. I had been hoping that would change, but no. Confused
codephoenix525

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the thing that drew me into this anime was seeing Maji Love 1000% randomly on niconico. I decided to give it a shot, and somehow I got hooked. As bad as it was, this became one of my fav animes because it knows what it is and it delivers it perfectly.

This review pretty much summed up everything I thought about this show and I'm a guy who enjoyed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1